Condensation Issue

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have followed with interest the condensation problems reported by jo-anne and others under Alluminium Frames, as I too have recently taken delivery of a new Sterling Elite Onyx (like jo-anne). We took delivery on Friday 8th. Feb, earlier than expected, so our first trip was not booked until 27/02. In the meantime the van was connected to mains on our drive, and because of prevailing cold weather, I kept the heating on a low setting 24/7. We have just returned from Meathop Fell, and when we left the internal temp. was 73f. Since arriving home on Sunday there has been no heating in the van, and there has been a frost overnight. In spite of these circumstances, and because of the reported problems, I have regularly checked for signs of Condensation, but as yet have found none at all. Perhaps the initial "Airing" of the new van on our drive minimised the risks, but I feel that our experience of no problems should be recorded to provide a balanced view on this issue. I fully sympathise with jo-anne, and have no doubt that her concerns are genuine. I cannot explain (other than the initial period on low heat settings) why we have not had a similar problem. Perhaps Swift could explain this variance?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,

You have probably read the various postings about how condensation occurs. In your case, if the caravan has not been occupied, then there has been no rise in the level of relative humidity. This predisposes to the air keeping its moisture content rather than dumping it on cold surfaces.

There are engineering tables that relate to temperature of air, relative humidity and the dew point. Only when certain conditions have been met will the air relieve its self of its moisture, so it is just possible that those conditions have not been achieved over the period you have been monitoring it.

You may not be aware but an adult will exhale approximately 70 to 100gm of water vapour over night. 70gm will cover a lot of metal surface!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,

You have probably read the various postings about how condensation occurs. In your case, if the caravan has not been occupied, then there has been no rise in the level of relative humidity. This predisposes to the air keeping its moisture content rather than dumping it on cold surfaces.

There are engineering tables that relate to temperature of air, relative humidity and the dew point. Only when certain conditions have been met will the air relieve its self of its moisture, so it is just possible that those conditions have not been achieved over the period you have been monitoring it.

You may not be aware but an adult will exhale approximately 70 to 100gm of water vapour over night. 70gm will cover a lot of metal surface!
Hi John,

The van was occupied for 5 days/nights between Wed. 27/02, and Sunday 02/03, so there was a reasonable period of occupancy, and as I stated, the internal temp when returning was at 73f, followed by two nights, one nearly freezing, and one actually freezing. I cannot explain why we saw no evidence of condensation, under these circumstances.

Dave C

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
John l,

I have a 2007 Swift Conqueror used throughout the winter.Prior to this caravan i had a Bailey senator with alloy window frames.

I have never had condensation no matter how low the outside temp dropped. In all my many years of winter caravaning i have never experienced condensation.

People have remarked "why don't you get condensation?"

The answer is simple.The way in which i, and my friends caravan in winter . is very different to the way we caravan in the rest of the year.

The heating is kept on 24/7, day and night.Even if going out for the day the heating is left on at between 60/65 degress.

Before starting to cook the extractor fan is switched on, and is left on for a few minutes after finishing cooking.

The main door of the caravan is never left open.

The sunroofs are left on the night catches.

In winter we use the site showers, never the caravan shower.

These may seem obvious things to do but it does work.

We also use a couple of small 500watt dimplex heaters, one at each end of the caravan, plus the main heater to keep the temperature even in the caravan.

We never use the blown air as we find it creates too much of a variation in temp.

Hamer

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

In support of John's thread - one of the main reasons for condensation forming is because you are sleeping in the caravan.

The last time you slept in the van was before you towed the caravan home, so the van was "dry" when you stored it - and in that situation you are unlikely to see condensation. The air is already "dry", no new water vapour is being added, and it doesn't matter if it gets cold at night.

If you want to replicate the effect of two people sleeping in your caravan - put a cup of water in a kettle and let it boil dry - then you may see a difference...

There's a different situation when you occupy the caravan in cold weather and, as Hamer described, don't manage the airflow / heating correctly.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

As you can see above in my comment to John, my wife and I spent 5 days in our caravan, before returning home, and we frequently checked for condensation.Like Hamer we keep the heating on 24/7, simply turning down the thermostat at night. Unlike Hamer we did not use supplementary heating, just the Truma on 2KW and the fan on 2, with no vents open at all. I hope this clarifies any misunderstandings of the circumstances.

Dave C

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I noticed a small pool of water on the rear window frame on my van (07 Swift Challenger) to wards the end of last season.

I went to pick it up from storage yesterday, put the heating on and within half an hour pools of water had formed in the same place, not happy.

I'm taking it in for it's first service on Tuesday and will take it up with the dealer, although judging by Swifts arrogant reply on the other thread, I suspect that I won't get very far

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello again Dave,

I am please you do not appear to have a condensation problem. As for the explanation, well clearly the conditions were not right to cause condensation, other wise you would have had some.

The reasons well I would only be guessing, but either the level of humidity was low already, or the temperature regime did not take the air below dew point.

May you remain condensation free.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts