Confused about rear cycle carriers on caravans

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I have today read conflicting advise about the use of rear mounted cycle carriers on caravans. The general thinking seems to be that bikes on the back of a caravan cause instability when towing. However, mention was made on another thread of fixing points on caravans being available at point of manufacture. All continental vans have bikes on the back and I know these have longer A frames but does that make THAT much difference to stability. I also spoke to a caravanner recently who had a British van with a bike carrier fixed by the manufacturer and he said he had noticed no difference at all when towing. So just what is the correct advice please?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
"All continental vans have bikes on the back and I know these have longer A frames but does that make THAT much difference to stability."

Basically yes. Robert

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
The rack wont make a bit of to pulling the van,but if you think about and built back ends of caravan like i have,you would never put a rack on as there is no frame work on our vans today,most of them that are built are totaly rubbish,its like everything you buy the finished product looks good,but how is it put togeather

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I understand that UK vans might not be strong enough to carry the carrier plus bikes, but supposing they were, do the bikes still affect the stability of the van - I have heard of it causing a pendulum type sway - but why don't European vans do this then?

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Last week in at our dealers and saw a steriling wan with a fiamia bike wrack on the back.

He told me the dealer had fitted it and that there are mounting points in swift group vans for them.

He told me that he has never had any swing from it but also stated that he never tows above 55

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
If the van is correctly loaded and you take in to account the extra weight over the back of the van then i cant see how it can effect stability any more than putting too much weight in the end bathroom or on the rear fixed bed ? carefull loading is the key to a safe and stable tow.

Having said this why would you want to put more holes in your van than is absolutely necessary ? i know the dealer would make sure it was sealed when new buts its 4 or 6 more potential leakage points for the future and surely the re-sale value would be effected for the worse. far better in my opinion to put the bikes in the van or on the car roof and save the worry of a damp or damaged van.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Icemaker about not putting any more holes in your van, especially if they are carrying a stress weight, such as bikes, as although when new, the weight on the fixings and "bounce" of the load will cause failure of the sealing, and then water ingress, then rotting etc.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Very good points about extra holes etc. We arenot seriously thinking of adding a bike carrier, but I just wanted to sort it out in my mind as we see so many continental vans with bikes on the back and thought it might be something we thought about in the future should our needs alter. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
A topic which many have debated.

I have a carrier on the back of the van.

No problem!

Those who do never seem to have a problem with it (and that includes lot's of NL's, D's, B's and F's).

Those who don't seem to have all the problems!

Draw your own conclusion.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
But you see so few vans fitted with rear cycle carriers that it would suggest maybee that many have had problems and wont make the same mistake again and maybee those that have the carriers at the moment cant see the problems manifesting in front of them (or behind).

Yes draw your own conclusions, have a good look around and see how many caravaners are using these things ? its not many at all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Our bikes go with us on all our trips but are always transported on the roof of the car. Roof carriers allow you to transport the bikes to cycles trails while you have the van on site.

Over the years I have spoken to a number of people with carriers on the back of the van and none have mentioned any stability issues. I think its a valid point though drilling more holes through the van bodywork can not help the integrity of the bodyshell over time.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I have a Fiama "Universal" carrier on the back of my Hymer. Some vans including Hymer and Hobby and Burstner have (or used to) an awning type rail over the back window and this carrier uses that and a base support that is screwed up into the floor of the van thus eliminating any "through the wall" holes. Regarding stability I have towed about 10k miles with two bikes on it now and whilst it doesnt do stability any favours and keeps my speed down a bit I have never had a problem with it. Having tried the bikes on the car , in the car and in the van this is the most convienient for me. If we dont want to use the bikes they just stay there until we do.

As already remarked upon, its rare to see a Dutch van without a rear rack and we were told when we did the Swift factory tour that they strengthen the rear end for the Dutch market as they wouldnt sell without.

Dave

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
It was a caravanner with a Swift caravan who had a rear carrier on his van who we got talking to on the docks. He said he had tried various carriers and his rear one was the best and he had had no stability problems over many many miles.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chrissylizzie

Confusing isn't it!

There are a number of different issues here. Firstly are UK caravans strong enough to carry a rear mounted bike rack, I don't know, but asking the dealer or manufacture should illicit an answer. A manufacture that provides additional strengthening for such racks will be prepared to tell you, so if they don't tell you the assume the caravan may not be strong enough.

Do bike racks cause instability? You mention the pendulum effect, and yes it will exacerbate the effect, but for some outfits it may still be easily within its controllable limits, where as for others it may be too much. There is no simple way to accurately predict the size of the effect on any outfit, except to say that if an outfit is already difficult to control, it will be more difficult with a loaded bike rack.

The length of an A frame does have an appreciable effect on the controllability of a trailer. The longer the A frame the lower are the forces the tow hitch and so the tow car can maintain better control of the trailer. So continental caravans with longer A frames will seem easier to control when towing. But also they often have dampers fitted to the suspension, which also aids stability.

Do not forget that the bike rack will extend the length of the caravan. It is essential that the number plate must not be obscured, and that the rear road lights should be

at the extremity of the outfit. A new number plate and lights board may be necessary. It is also advisable to clearly mark any protrusions such as peddles so that drivers behind can easily see the rear of your outfit.

The additional length of the caravan and bike rack may be problem when reversing but should make little difference when forward towing.

I cannot give a definitive answer to this but I hope I have given some food for thought.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you are carrying bikes at the back (whether solo behind the car or towing on the back of the caravan) and you are planning to tour Italy or Spain you will need a 50x50cm warning sign with reflective red and white diagonals and the sign must be type approved for the respective country. (Italy and Spain have slightly differing requirements so you cannot use the same for both countries)

TRENDING THREADS