Contaminated stabilizer pads

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I have a winterhoff (like alko) hitch stabilizer and did not remove the coating from a new towball so on the advice of members of this forum I gave the pads and the towball a light sanding with 120 grade emery cloth. This got me thinking though about other contamination. When I take my van in for a service they use a small tractor to move the vans around but what would happen if the previous van it moved had a bulldog type stabilizer and a greasy towball - presumably my pads would become contaminated with the grease?? Similar situation with site storage where the owner drags them out of storage ahead of your visit. Does anyone else worry about reduced stabilizer performance or am just being paranoid?

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
We've always had room to keep our caravans at home.

I wouldn't entertain owning a caravan if I had to store it some whare else.

We know of damage to caravans on storage sites and theft of them and theft from them and also damage caused by other owners an storage site staff when moving caravans.

Would I trust some site staff to always differentiate between tow hitches with grease and those with friction pads, NO I would not.

We have also seen a camp site tractor with tow ball covered in grease hitched to a caravan in front of the owners as the hill side pitch was difficult to access. Another camper pointed out the friction stabiliser but it was to late.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
quite right I also am fortunate in having a large garage to store the van in so contamination is not an issue.

however if you are worried about contamination from site tactors an such like the easy answer is to fit a temporary ordinary ball hitch and fit the alko or winterhoff when towing.

colin

TRENDING THREADS