Conundrum Number 1

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
One of the things, (and there are many), that I have never understood are cleaning instructions which say say to start a the bottom and work upwards to avoid streaks.

Its an instruction I have always ignored as it makes no sense to me. I first saw it on Mangers Sugar Soap 40 plus years ago, and it’s still there.

Quote.

Cleaning and preparing paintwork
To remove dirt, grease and grime prior to painting - even discolouration caused by accumulated nicotine smoke - add 100ml of sugar soap concentrate to 4.5ltr of warm water and stir.
Apply using a sponge, working upwards to avoid run streaks

I have seen the same on other cleaners including those made for caravans.

Can anybody educate me and tell me just what I an missing?

John

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I always thought it was work from the top-down.

Surely if you start from the bottom,by the time your washing the top,dirty water is running down over the bit you've just washed??..
Maybe I'm totally wrong but I start with the caravan roof then the tops of the sides,and work my way down🤔🤔

Ade

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I always thought it was work from the top-down.

Surely if you start from the bottom,by the time your washing the top,dirty water is running down over the bit you've just washed??..
Maybe I'm totally wrong but I start with the caravan roof then the tops of the sides,and work my way down🤔🤔

Ade

My thoughts entirely. The conundrum it then why do these ‘experts’ instruct us to do the reverse.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Two websites both operated by caravan insurers say top down. But my old home decorating manual given as a 21 st birthday present 🙈 says that prior to redecorating wash walls bottom to top. Even these days I do that. But must admit for the caravan I spray the cleaner on the walls and after a minute or two I then work from the top with my extending brush using a bucket of cleaning solution. Cars I too work top to bottom.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I was always told wash from the bottom up and that way you should not miss anything. In my case I still find bits I have missed and should really work up from the bottom up and then from the top down again.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Years ago I read somewhere that the best clean for a car was to do a "rough" wash bottom to top, then a good wash top to bottom. This way the gunge you wash off the top doesn't have anything to stick to on the way down, and flows off more easily. I think this was more aimed at "high enders" like chauffeurs washing the boss's Roller, rather everyday car washers!

That said, I don't know much about car washing...I've got a Jeep...

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS