Convert me please!

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Ok, I have got my tow car! It is a 57 plate 2.5 VW Touareg with detachable tow bar.
Now here is my problem! The electrics are I believe 7 pin.
I say believe because I have some paper work (PF Jones) for a 'Bypass 7 way retail kit' with 12n pre wired cable, but when I look at it, it seems to have 4 connector hole's with 3 screws between them. (2 above 3 screws, 2 below) Sorry but don't know how to load a picture.
So, can I tow the caravan with just a converter to operate the brake lights etc for now, but to have the fridge running will I need a re-wire to a 13 pin?
Many thanks in advance.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to get an adaptor which will go from your car onto the plug either end and you should be ok. I have a trailer which I use for house waste etc and that is 7 pin and I have an adaptor which goes on the tail board plug and after that and into my 13 pin car plug. All lights work fine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anpro-Waterproof-Trailer-Caravan-Electric/dp/B0713WVDDP/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525007560&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=13+pin+to+7+pin+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=51%2BBkPjRqRL&ref=plSrch
Craig .

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't bother about running the fridge on 12v (or charging the 'van battery from the car). If the fridge is pre-cooled (either on 230v or gas) and has a reasonable amount of stuff in it , it will remain perfectly cold (and food in the freezer frozen) for any normal car journey. Just remember to turn it on (gas or 230v) as soon as you arrive. Fully packed, ours stays cold/frozen even after 48hrs on the long crossings to Spain.

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
VicMallows said:
I wouldn't bother about running the fridge on 12v (or charging the 'van battery from the car). If the fridge is pre-cooled (either on 230v or gas) and has a reasonable amount of stuff in it , it will remain perfectly cold (and food in the freezer frozen) for any normal car journey. Just remember to turn it on (gas or 230v) as soon as you arrive. Fully packed, ours stays cold/frozen even after 48hrs on the long crossings to Spain.
Thanks for this. My only problem is that the van is not normally sited by our house, so will be unable to chill the the fridge! MIght have to be a cool box job if the conversion price is too extortionate!!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Depending on where you may go or look you may be looking between 2 and £4oo.oo (possibly more) for a new towing kit for 13 pin versions. If we go away for the weekends we don't put the fridge on from storage we just go and switch it on when we get on site.

Craig .

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Depending on where you may go or look you may be looking between 2 and £4oo.oo (possibly more) for a new towing kit for 13 pin versions. If we go away for the weekends we don't put the fridge on from storage we just go and switch it on when we get on site.

Craig .
Thats a big ouch!!! There's a couple of tow bar fitters near me (Oxford) that I might call to find out.
Hope I haven't made an expensive mistake with this car!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We put the fridge on Gas for an Hour before filling it, the onto Electric, ( auto) 12 volts when towing. All is good cold beer and wine , after getting the awning up

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Barneythebeardie said:
Thats a big ouch!!! There's a couple of tow bar fitters near me (Oxford) that I might call to find out.

You haven't made a mistake with your tow car , it's a good one , it'll tow anything ! Just ring around and get some prices it may not be as bad as you think or I have said . :)

Craig .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Barneythebeardie said:

You haven't made a mistake with your tow car , it's a good one , it'll tow anything ! Just ring around and get some prices it may not be as bad as you think or I have said . :)

Craig .

Been a good while since I had the towbar fitted to my old V50 but for a Witter fixed flange towball with twin 7pin electrics it was about £250 fully fitted. I can't imagine upgrading the 7pin or even upgrading to 13pin would be that much. As Craig says make some calls.

I did get the proper Volvo detachable for my XC60... that was considerably more :S

Paul

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi and thanks for all the reply's. First things first, so I will ring the people I am getting the van from tommorow to double check the wiring pin. It's a 2010 Coachman Wander Lux. so I am assuming it is a 13 pin. Handover is next friday and first tow the following week!!
An adaptor is the cheapest route, but looking at reviews they do not seem to work the reversing lights on the van and that is a concern of mine The fridge, well maybe I could live without that working all the time.
A phone call to a tow bar fitter will be next, to check out a conversion price. Hopefully it wont be too much, as I have just had to tell the good lady how much it will cost to tax a 2007 Touareg for a year!!!!! :eek:hmy:
I think a bunch of flowers might be in order. :cheer:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi again ,
is it the twin axle that you are getting or not ? if so has it got a mover on? if yes , then good cause I would be using the mover with something that big !!

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Hi again ,
is it the twin axle that you are getting or not ? if so has it got a mover on? if yes , then good cause I would be using the mover with something that big !!
Hi, no it's a single axle with out a mover. Hopefully being a class 1 driver, I should be able to reverse it to some sort of degree!! If I find that the maneuvering is to difficult, then maybe a motor mover will be added at the end of the year if funds allow.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ha ! Ok ! we just got ours last year and it's a lot bigger than what we had and I am good reversing but it's the fact that we're we came to put it on the drive it was undoable by pushing and shoving that's why the mover was put on ours so depends where you are storing it as in maneuverability and the for the car and not trying to put your back out pushing and shoving it like my wife did on our tight drive .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Ha ! Ok ! we just got ours last year and it's a lot bigger than what we had and I am good reversing but it's the fact that we're we came to put it on the drive it was undoable by pushing and shoving that's why the mover was put on ours so depends where you are storing it as in maneuverability and the for the car and not trying to put your back out pushing and shoving it like my wife did on our tight drive .

I second this! A motor mover is almost a necessity! to get my caravan on the drive requires some back and forth to move across the drive to put it up against a fence away from the drop kerb. As drive slopes away from the house in 2 directions, I would be pushing against gravity and it would be impossible to get the level of precision I need with reversing the car. I could move my old 650kg caravan by hand! [which incidentally did not have a reversing light, so 13pin to 7pin adapter worked just fine].

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I never reverse without a ‘bankswoman’ and when I once did pitch up in the dark the vans reversing lights were neigh on useless. Might be more use with a reversing camera on the van.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I can "Normally" get onto pitch and back into storage with no problem, But if someone is watching then if I don't get it correct after two attempts its " do it on the motor mover" My camera on the Caravan is great in the dark and works really well, I would not be without either of them now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barneythebeardie said:
... Hopefully being a class 1 driver, I should be able to reverse it to some sort of degree!! If I find that the maneuvering is to difficult, then maybe a motor mover will be added at the end of the year if funds allow.

Hello Barney,
It's surprising the number of HGV drivers we have who caravan, Obviously not are all trained in articulated vehicles, but even some that are are comment on how different reversing a caravan is even though the principles are the same. Its usually down to how short the caravan drawbar length is compared to virtually all HGV trailers, and that means they are more sensitive to steering input.

My view is why struggle if there is an affordable alternative?

Best of luck

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My (first) son in law took his HGV test and a couple of weeks later came with me to put the van onto its storage pitch. The pitches were quite close and not too easy to reverse into and at that time I had no mover. So son in law offered to give it a whirl. Goal in one, no messing about. I was well and truly impressed.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Bus driver for 1o year and Class 2 and towed trailers for last 2o years but still the mover is well worth the money on the caravan ! Even down to the last few inches of positioning on a pitch is great with the mover. But like the Prof says it's a bit different reversing the caravan compared to an HGV.

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Hi all. Many thanks for the helpful replys.
A mover could well be on the cards once funds allow! A camera sounds interesting too, so maybe something else to save up for.
Re reversing, I've read on here from people who say its totally different. As a class 1 driver, hopefully it just gives me the added advantage of brain kicking in when putting opposite lock on when reversing and turning plus length of unit.
And without trying to sound to rude, I hope that none of you are on my first few site's in case I **** it up!!!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ha ! Don't worry , we've all been there first time on site and make a balls up of trying to reverse , I've actually jumped in someone's car and done it for them when he asked me to after his wife started shouting at him ! All fun and games and learning curves .
good luck and enjoy .

Craig .

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I can "Normally" get onto pitch and back into storage with no problem, But if someone is watching then if I don't get it correct after two attempts its " do it on the motor mover" My camera on the Caravan is great in the dark and works really well, I would not be without either of them now.

I had to abandon a text book reverse onto a pitch because the front of the car would have hit the motorhome in the opposite pitch :( motor mover to the rescue...

I have reverse parked in the truck bays at some services on the M5 as the caravan park was an unpaved muddy quagmire. I doubt I impressed any truckers, but the caravanner that then parked next to me took up two bays! :lol:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
EH52ARH said:

I had to abandon a text book reverse onto a pitch because the front of the car would have hit the motorhome in the opposite pitch :( motor mover to the rescue...

I have reverse parked in the truck bays at some services on the M5 as the caravan park was an unpaved muddy quagmire. I doubt I impressed any truckers, but the caravanner that then parked next to me took up two bays! :lol:

It’s nit uncommon to find your pitch opposite one that’s occupied and maybe with a car across the front of their caravan. It really can make it difficult or not possible to reverse your outfit onto its pitch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
CustardAvenger said:
EH52ARH said:

It’s nit uncommon to find your pitch opposite one that’s occupied and maybe with a car across the front of their caravan. It really can make it difficult or not possible to reverse your outfit onto its pitch.

Or when SWMBO says lets pitch it side on , so we have a better view, with no room to manoeuvre. :woohoo:

TRENDING THREADS