Convert me please!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Barneythebeardie said:
CustardAvenger said:
Barneythebeardie said:
Wife, cancel the caravan purchase!!!!

Nooo!! You've got the Tow Car;
No Tow Car anymore!!!! Had it 3 days and 2 faults appeared!! :eek:hmy: Returning it tomorrow (caravan hand over day!) for full refund.
The hunt starts all over again. :( :unsure:

Sorry to hear that, I had always liked the Touareg. Hope you find something else soon. If it’s a large 4x4 you are after the Sorento and Santa Fe always seem to have a good following and have a good reliability record if serviced properly.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Barneythebeardie said:
CustardAvenger said:
Barneythebeardie said:

No Tow Car anymore!!!! Had it 3 days and 2 faults appeared!! :eek:hmy: Returning it tomorrow (caravan hand over day!) for full refund.

So, you’ve bought an 11 year old car, which has obviously previously been used for towing and intend returning it for a full refund because 2 “Faults” have “appeared”.

Very best of luck to you and even more so to whoever you bought the car from ...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
So, you’ve bought an 11 year old car, which has obviously previously been used for towing and intend returning it for a full refund because 2 “Faults” have “appeared”.

Very best of luck to you and even more so to whoever you bought the car from ...

Without knowing what the faults are its not reasonable to criticise the posters intention of excising their legal rights under the CRA.

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
CustardAvenger said:
Barneythebeardie said:

Sorry but not too sure what to make of this statement!
Yes it was 11 years old but I dont expect 2 faults in les than 75 miles of driving! I haven't said what they were even. So if this had happened to you, after spending a lot of money on a car, would you accept it?
I'm sorry but I feel that if I have parted with my hard earned money then I am entitled to something of reasonable quality. Would have been different if it had been an old banger job.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Icaru5 said:

Without knowing what the faults are its not reasonable to criticise the posters intention of excising their legal rights under the CRA.

Hello again Prof,

I haven’t made any criticism. Nor do I believe the OP is intending to pay an excise duty on their legal rights under whatever act you will undoubtedly insist they must quote when returning their 11 year old car for reasons that we are yet to learn.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Barneythebeardie said:
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
CustardAvenger said:
Barneythebeardie said:

Yes it was 11 years old but I dont expect 2 faults in les than 75 miles of driving! I haven't said what they were even. So if this had happened to you, after spending a lot of money on a car, would you accept it?
I'm sorry but I feel that if I have parted with my hard earned money then I am entitled to something of reasonable quality. Would have been different if it had been an old banger job.

Hello Barney - First of all, no apologies neccesary ! - In choosing to buy a VW Tiguan, you have undoubtedly made a great choice in terms of the car being a fundamentally solid, rugged and quality platform, particularly as a tow car. However, with the car being 11 years old, there are certain niggles and “faults” that one should realistically accept as being part and parcel of owning an 11 year old vehicle. Unless you have experienced major mechanical issues, I can’t really see why you would feel it neccesary or even reasonable to return the vehicle and demand a full refund.

I’m sure I wouldn’t be alone in being curious as to what the two “faults” that have appeared actually are.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
CustardAvenger said:
Barneythebeardie said:

Hello Barney - First of all, no apologies neccesary ! - In choosing to buy a VW Tiguan, you have undoubtedly made a great choice in terms of the car being a fundamentally solid, rugged and quality platform, particularly as a tow car. However, with the car being 11 years old, there are certain niggles and “faults” that one should realistically accept as being part and parcel of owning an 11 year old vehicle. Unless you have experienced major mechanical issues, I can’t really see why you would feel it neccesary or even reasonable to return the vehicle and demand a full refund.

I’m sure I wouldn’t be alone in being curious as to what the two “faults” that have appeared actually are.

It's a Toureg not Tiguan

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
CustardAvenger said:
Barneythebeardie said:

It's a Toureg not Tiguan

No it’s not. It’s a Touareg ! :p

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
Icaru5 said:
Barneythebeardie said:
CustardAvenger said:
Barneythebeardie said:

At the precise moment and untill the car has been returned I'm not really prepared to state the faults but tomorow, no problem!

And as for the 'Sorry' that was a statement not an apoligy, but I'm sorry that you took it that way!!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Icaru5 said:

I'm curious to know to why do you have to wait until you get in touch with whom you bought it from first ?
Let us know , it might be an easy fix my , friend bought one up the street from Scotland and we are in the northeast , he's had a few problems with his but he's just fixed it with it being old also . He uses his for towing horse boxes it is a 3.o V6 . A beast and lovely to drive so if you can fix it keep it !

Craig .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Icaru5 said:

I'm curious to know to why do you have to wait until you get in touch with whom you bought it from first ?
Let us know , it might be an easy fix my , friend bought one up the street from Scotland and we are in the northeast , he's had a few problems with his but he's just fixed it with it being old also . He uses his for towing horse boxes it is a 3.o V6 . A beast and lovely to drive so if you can fix it keep it !

Craig .

Hello Craig,

I expect the issue causing the customer to return the vehicle may not yet have been agreed with the supplier, so its could be material information and part of a dispute, which its sensible not to publicise too much in case it becomes a matter of legal importance. And as an extension of that, forum etiquette precludes the discussion of matters that could or are part of a current dispute.

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
Icaru5 said:

Craig .

Hello Craig,

I expect the issue causing the customer to return the vehicle may not yet have been agreed with the supplier, so its could be material information and part of a dispute, which its sensible not to publicise too much in case it becomes a matter of legal importance. And as an extension of that, forum etiquette precludes the discussion of matters that could or are part of a current dispute.

Hi. re mentioning the faults. ProfJohnL is correct plus things did not go as planned or as the dealer had prev said.
So in veiw of this, I am afraid that I will not state any of them. Maybe in the light of this, it might be in order to stop this thread?
Thanks for all the previous help re the connector.
On a brighter note, we had the handover off the van today and that went great!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Craigyoung said:
Icaru5 said:

Craig .

Hello Craig,

Has a new moderator been appointed that I haven't been told about?
It's understandable that the O.P. might not want to discuss issues that may or may not form the basis of a court action, that decision is his to make.
As far as I'm concerned, as a bona fide global moderator of this forum for the past nine years there is no rule shown in my electronic copy of forum etiquette that would prohibit any person describing or discussing faults with towing vehicles, caravans or any other caravan related goods or services that they have purchased with the proviso that the name of the supplier isn't mentioned.
If we prohibited the description or discussion of such faults or issues there would be no point to the existence of this forum.
The rules shown in Forum Etiquette are Here, please don't invent 'rules' that don't exist.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The CRA equally applies to the sale of used goods as well as new . Total rejection in the time scale prescribed it is available to Barney.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Dustydog said:
The CRA equally applies to the sale of used goods as well as new . Total rejection in the time scale prescribed it is available to Barney.

Of course it does Dusty, but other than in a case of blatant mis-selling, what grounds would there be for “Total rejection” of an 11 year old used car, having not even given the vendor an opportunity to recitfy the “2 faults” ? - Although my original comment may have seemed a litle harsh to some, given the age of the vehicle involved and despite Barney being unwilling to elaborate with any specific details of the “2 faults”, I did say that it’s unresonable to expect to return an 11 year old vehicle for a full refund on an initial discovery of “2 faults”, whatever they may be. Interestingly enough, Barney has since posted that things “didn’t go as planned” when he tried to return the vehicle.

Again, with the exception of catastrophic engine or DSG transmission failure (until we learn more, they may even be the two faults), I’m struggling to think of many other “faults” that one could experience with an 11 year old vehicle that couldn’t simply be put down to “fair water and tear”, irrespective of mileage. Unless the vehicle was described as being in absolutely excellent condition, I would only at best expect a fix, certainly not a return and full refund. Other than as a gesture of goodwill, the only grounds I can see for the latter would be for blatant mis-selling.

I fully appreciate that emotions run high if disappointment arises after parting with hard-earned cash, and I do hope that the 2 faults are minor and can either be rectified by the vendor or at minimum cost to yourself Barney and that they are very soon forgotten as your start to enjoy your excellent choice of towcar.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Dustydog said:

Of course it does Dusty, but other than in a case of blatant mis-selling, what grounds would there be for “Total rejection” of an 11 year old used car, having not even given the vendor an opportunity to recitfy the “2 faults” ? - Although my original comment may have seemed a litle harsh to some, given the age of the vehicle involved and despite Barney being unwilling to elaborate with any specific details of the “2 faults”, I did say that it’s unresonable to expect to return an 11 year old vehicle for a full refund on an initial discovery of “2 faults”, whatever they may be. Interestingly enough, Barney has since posted that things “didn’t go as planned” when he tried to return the vehicle.

Again, with the exception of catastrophic engine or DSG transmission failure (until we learn more, they may even be the two faults), I’m struggling to think of many other “faults” that one could experience with an 11 year old vehicle that couldn’t simply be put down to “fair water and tear”, irrespective of mileage. Unless the vehicle was described as being in absolutely excellent condition, I would only at best expect a fix, certainly not a return and full refund. Other than as a gesture of goodwill, the only grounds I can see for the latter would be for blatant mis-selling.

I fully appreciate that emotions run high if disappointment arises after parting with hard-earned cash, and I do hope that the 2 faults are minor and can either be rectified by the vendor or at minimum cost to yourself Barney and that they are very soon forgotten as your start to enjoy your excellent choice of towcar.

I endorse your views and comments. Unless the vendor claimed otherwise I’m not even sure a major engine or other system failure can be taken as the vendors responsibility. No one can reasonably foresee such happenings even if the car has been meticulously looked after. Things do break without giving any warning.

Looking at a number of sources all gave the same advise regarding a private buyers position. The one below came from the AA.

“The only legal terms that cover a private sale contract are:

The seller must have the right to sell the car.
The vehicle should match the description given by the seller.
The car must be roadworthy – it is a criminal offence to sell an unroadworthy car and an MOT certificate from a test several months ago is no guarantee that the car is roadworthy today.”

I will now retreat to my bunker and await the barrage!!

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
otherclive said:
Icaru5 said:
Dustydog said:

I endorse your views and comments. Unless the vendor claimed otherwise I’m not even sure a major engine or other system failure can be taken as the vendors responsibility. No one can reasonably foresee such happenings even if the car has been meticulously looked after. Things do break without giving any warning.

Looking at a number of sources all gave the same advise regarding a private buyers position. The one below came from the AA.

“The only legal terms that cover a private sale contract are:

The seller must have the right to sell the car.
The vehicle should match the description given by the seller.
The car must be roadworthy – it is a criminal offence to sell an unroadworthy car and an MOT certificate from a test several months ago is no guarantee that the car is roadworthy today.”

I will now retreat to my bunker and await the barrage!!

Thanks Clive. Barney hasn’t actually said whether or not it was a private sale. My comments were based on the possibility of it being either a private or dealer sale. Of course, even less grounds for recourse if private.

TRENDING THREADS