Conwy Castle arches

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We're going to the Conwy Valley and will be taking the B5106 Llanrwst Road out of Conwy.

According to the route we'll be going through the arches under Conwy Castle walls.

What we're concerned about is if we take roof mounted bikes, will we clear through the arches.

With being on a Sedona roof we'll need about 9'6" of clearance.

Has anybody any experience of this route, according to Google street views there's 12'9"

Has anybody experience of this route who could help?

Many thanks in advance

Tom

jca

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
I used to drive a 11ft 6in high coach through the very same arch.If the offside mirror was nearly scraping the arch,it would fit through.

Cheers,

John.

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
If you are travelling on the A55 from the east you don't need to go into Conwy to get to Lanwrst - take the A470. If from the east, continue on the A55 bypassing Conwy till you reach the A470. You can cross to the B5106 if you need to in Llanwst over a bridge controlled by rather curious traffic light!

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
v.meldrew2 and Tom,

If you are travelling from the east you arrive at the A470, (Llanrwst) Betws-Y-Coed turn off, before reaching Conway.

Last Thursday 25th we went through Llanrwst to visit friends in Llandudno. There are road works in Llanrwst near the bridge making it very difficult for a towing unit to turn and approach the narrow bridge.

Hamer

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the info.

Last time we were around Llanrwst my wife flatly refused to drive over the bridge.

Must admit it looks a little narrow.

Actually went across it with Google street view whilst on mapping.

From what John has posted the arches seem to be 12'9" as on Google street.

Plan B is for better half to offload the bikes and run down the road and meet me at the bottom.

That's my plan B anyway.

So again many thanks for the advice.

Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been through the arches with a tilt trailer (HGV1) the like of which vary between 12' 9" and 13' 3" approx

Let's just say it was very tight but nothing touched, in fact what I was picking up were pipes that has been used for draining the tunnel site, which will give you an idea of the year roughly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts