Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just bought a 12V cool box at 75% discount on an end of season sale at Woolworth. We intend to buy a rectifier so that it can be connected to 240V if necessary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have just bought a 12V cool box at 75% discount on an end of season sale at Woolworth. We intend to buy a rectifier so that it can be connected to 240V if necessary.
Hi colin,

You need more than a rectifier, try a power supply instead!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Our advice would be to buy the biggest cool box that you can afford as we could fill our 35 litre one 3 times over even though we have a decent fridge in the caravan too. We had a barbeque rained off so had to store the burgers etc. in the cool box so, horror of horrors, we had to take some of the beer and wine out of ours when on our main 2 weeks holiday this 'summer'. Actually, we did very well with the weather which only emphasised the need for plenty of chilling space for cold drinks etc.

We got ours from Towsure and they have quite a good selection. Watch out for how effective they are though as some will only chill down to 25 degrees below outside temperature which is fine in England but no good if you are touring the continent where temperatures can be 35 degrees plus which would leave you with warm beer!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Worth having a look in Halfords. I think they still do 3 different sizes. If you have a look at a couple of outdoor websites first you will be able to identify who made them for Halfords!

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
Hi

If it helps I bought a cool box in Aldi's and have now had it for 2 years and it has been better than my fridge for keeping things cool

even in the heat in France.

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
I bought a coolbox from Lidl about 2 years ago.It came with built in 12v/240v power .We use it every time we go away and it has proved excellent value, around

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
We bought ours from Aldi ,i was very impressed when we used it in france , it even became caked in ice around the lid ,had to put the lid out in the sun for 10 mins to defrost it , works from 12volt or 240 no extra's to buy

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Buy Waeco-they have a big range, they are exremely well made, and very efficient. The plastics used are very high quality. They can also be run on 12v, 240v and gas. Make sure you get the grey finish, as these cool to 35c below ambient temperature, if we do actually see some sun. There is a lower spec blue version as well, which cools to around 20c below ambient

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Gerald another point to bear in mind is that the cheaper boxex that can cool or keep food warm use a fan for the cooling process. These can be surprising noisy, especially at night,even if the motor is described as quiet.They can also suffer from a build up of condensation-and I don't mean just a few drops of water either. They are ok for a pic nic but not for 2 weeks in the sun

G

Just like to raise the point I have mentioned before. There is, at least in my mind, a difference between a coolbox and a fridge. Most coolboxes are basically normal insulated boxes with a 12v fan motor that will drop the temperature to about 18-20 degrees C below ambient. This means if you are the Scottish Hioghlands and it is the usul 12 degrees outside, the thing will get very cold indeed. If you are in the south of France in a heatwave and it is approaching 40 degrees then it will not work too well. They also usually come with a proviso that they should not be run continously, even with teh 240v transformer.

The fridge on the other hand will also suffer in the south of France, but not nearly as much, but tends to be much heavier due to the mechanism, as it runs on 12/240 and gas. Most 3 way box fridges come in around 16 kg empty.

I had a 3 way box fridge but due to the weight tried a cooler. It worked as well as it could be expected, but not what I realy wanted in the deep south. However, it was great for collecting frozen food from the supermarket and keeping it frozen until one was back at the van and could transfer the goodies to the freezer part of the van fridge. Also good for cooling beer and wine, but I would not risk uncooked food for too long, unless of course one was in the aforementioned Scottish Highlands.

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
We have just purchased a Quest X25 which is made by waeco from a excellent caravan accessories place, they are excellent with there advice and brilliant prices with very fast delivery. they know everything about the coolboxes and all accessories as they are all caravanners they know what they are talking about.

visit there web page www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts