Coping without hook-up

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone. We are thinking of venturing into the world of CL CS touring , or dare i say it, NO HOOK UP! Just wanted to know how you hardened lot cope without your EHU for heating, cooking, making cuppa etc. I know the easy answer is use gas for everything, but have you any useful little hints, tips or pieces of equipment that may be useful for this extreme change of caravanning style. Also how tough is it coping without nice toilet blocks and hot showers? I have to admit I like my home comforts and so far have not caravanned without my microwave, DVD, electric heater etc. Could I cope au naturale?? Any suggestions gratefully received! Please be kind! Emmy.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi Emmy,

Had to post a reply to you,I'm trying to picture you au naturale...

lol (keep your Liberty Bodice handy).How did you get on with Touring in the Trees?.

We also considered it but its surprising how we get use to our home comforts.

You will find that quite a few cl's and cs's do have EHU. In N.I. out of the 11 CL's 4 have EHU. Hope this helps or has given you a laugh.

regards wee stevie

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Emmy

The only way we camp is non EHU

fire.cooker.fridge and water heated by gas

And battery for lights and pump

Have an adapter to plug a stronger light in to car

A bottle of gas lasts a week and can get 2 weeks out of the battery hooked to a solar panel But always carry a spare

we have no tv and a battery radio

We both love walking and i do sewing and knitting Hubby reads

We use shower Wet/Soap/Rinse method

only boil enough water for what you are doing eg: tea/coffee

Give it a try we would not caravan any other way

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Emmy

We do mostly non EHU. The only hardship is not to be able to use the micro-wave.

I use a 20 litre re-fillable gas cylinder, at 48p per litre, which lasts 4-5 days in winter with 24/7 heating and a bit of cooking

TV and Sat receiver are 12v.

Fridge/freezer run on gas.

Alde hot water and central heating run on gas.

All but 2 lights operate on 12v.

I have 2x110 Ah batteries connected in parallel and a 1kw generator to recharge the batteries after 4 days use with a Ctek 9000 charger. A 1500W power inverter is connected to a dedicated socket to run any essential 240v appliances (hair drier, food whisk etc).

Using the on board WC is a little awkward to begin with but soon becomes OK.

So with a bit of preperation you will discover that EHU is un-necessary.

Good luck

Brum

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it was just husband and I, there wouldn't be a problem but with a teenage daughter in tow - phew too much hassle.

I did buy an inverter so we could power a tv but like many things I buy, never used it and sold it to a colleague.

Try it, I think you will be fine.

Lisa

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Emmy,

Had to post a reply to you,I'm trying to picture you au naturale...

lol (keep your Liberty Bodice handy).How did you get on with Touring in the Trees?.

We also considered it but its surprising how we get use to our home comforts.

You will find that quite a few cl's and cs's do have EHU. In N.I. out of the 11 CL's 4 have EHU. Hope this helps or has given you a laugh.

regards wee stevie
Oh Stevie, I dont think you would like me au naturale this time of year! Unshaved legs and no fake tan!!

This topic question is in peraration for Touring in the Trees. Your info was spot-on.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Take a pressure cooker with you. You can cook a whole meal on one gas ring. I would also take a couple of flasks and keep any remaining boiling water in them. Very useful for washing dishes, etc. Good luck!

Ann

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Emmy,

Most of our 23 years of caravanning has been on non-EHU. Both our older girls and now younger son have grown up without it. We use the facilities in the van that we paid so much for, we have a nice warm shower 'block' of our own with all the facilities. We use gas and battery, a 6Kg propane cylinder will last 5-7 days during the winter for heating and cooking and our 110Ah battery 7-10 days without any attention (no solar panel or generator) as we have no TV etc. the microwave is just inactive!

Our son (10) plays outside with other children or in the van/awning with his own toys, we read or have been known to talk to each other.

EHU is nice occassionally but with it goes the hassle of a big site. Give it a try you'll enjoy it, I hope.

Alan

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
A list of things we have obtained so far for non EHU sites.

All the prices are accurate but we tend to pick these things up when we see bargains.

Spare Battery

2 x 13W Solar panel briefcases

Oct 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Emmy,

I never thought i would say this but i love caravaning without electric hook up. My husband and i have 3 children aged 8,10 and 12 and we have all learnt to cope without the 3 pin plug. For years i refused to rally as there was usually no electric and then one day my husband, talked me into buying a solar panel. We have never looked back, we did spend a considerable sum on it

Dec 27, 2007
Visit site
suggest investing in 2 leisure batteries this should be more than adequate for juice. gas seems to go on forever we have caravanned like this for 2 years with no problems dont beleive in generators batteries need to be recharged with good quality charger rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes its a great idea ,every so often go EHU free.Its like having a cool shower before you get into bed [it makes you appreciate the luxuries of life when you stop

It makes a change to listen to the radio and escape the TV for a change .Most other things can be replicated by the use of gas .

As has been said a pressure cooker and a little econonmy works wonders .

You have to remember that this is past eleven in the evening and the glass has been refilled many times .

Col

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Emmy, about half of the Caravan Club CLs have got hooks ups so you don't need to go "au naturelle" just to get the benefit of CLs.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No EHU, no problem.

And we didn't even need to forgo the TV.

We spent two weeks last summer at Round Hill in the New Forest which has no EHU.

Gas lasted no probs, had to get the battery charged after the first week so a spare battery would have been useful.

We took a laptop with a Freecom usb freeview TV adapter, this provided 1.5 hrs or TV or DVD per day if I recharged the laptop whilst the car was running during the day using an inverter. Charged the Mobiles in the car as well.

Fridge, water, shower, cooking were fine on Gas.

We just had to think a bit about our usage of power.

The guy in the closest caravan had a pair of brief case Solar panels which he reckoned kept his battery topped up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts