Cornwall 2011

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi All
We are thinking of going to Cornwall next year, probably mid June for a couple of weeks or so Treamble Valley is a possible site for some of the time (it was our very first site with our first 'van almost 25 years ago), but there is something niggling at the back of my mind about problems in recent years. Not with the site itself, I'm fairly sure, but with the area. Was it something to do with anti social behavoir in Newquay? Can anybody refresh my memory ? Thanks.
JohnM

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi There's a big problem with drugs in Newquay and all the associated stuff that goes with it. Also, it appears to be turning into a hen and stag venue.
smiley-cool.gif

I haven't been there myself for a few years but I was speaking to an ex vicar recently who had left the area for the above reasons.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The coastline in Newquay is beautiful but that's the only good thing about the place. Newquay, like many British resorts, has that tired run down feel about it although if you are a chav you will fit in nicely ... heh! heh! heh!

Don't let Newquay put you off Treamble Valley John.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
We made the mistake of taking an evening stroll in Newquay a couple of years ago as we did when are kids were young. We must have seen more well equipped police in half an hour than we saw in France during a six week stay during the summer. The behaviour was frightening.
Just stay out of the town during the evening.
Ros

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John
For the views and walks you can't beat Trewethett Farm a CC site near Tintagel.
There's also Polmanter near St. Ives and River Valley, London Apprentice, St Austell.
Good luck.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
There's also River Valley, London Apprentice, St Austell.

Thanks for jogging my memory on this one DD.
We were down in St. Austell last May and called into this site for a brochure which we've now lost.
Looking at their website for next year they do a deal in May, 7 for the price of 5. If I read it right it means we can have 2 weeks for £120
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Dustydog said:
There's also River Valley, London Apprentice, St Austell.

Thanks for jogging my memory on this one DD.
We were down in St. Austell last May and called into this site for a brochure which we've now lost.
Looking at their website for next year they do a deal in May, 7 for the price of 5. If I read it right it means we can have 2 weeks for £120
smiley-laughing.gif

LB That's quite right. Out of season the Clemmo family put on some great deals. The dog walk is as long as you want, at least six miles return trip by the river. A lovely small secluded site strategically well placed . If you go try and book adjacent to the river hedge. They are very large pitches.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
If you go try and book adjacent to the river hedge. They are very large pitches.

I've looked at their online site plan and I thought pitch 34 looked ideal. Up in the corner, next to the foot/cycle path and furthest from the road. Then again 19 looks OK.
Looking at the plan it seems the central area, that's surrounded by a hedge, is for grumpy old men although it seems close to the kids play area. If so I should qualify for one of those pitches.
BTW I've now found their brochure I picked up last May.
http://www.rivervalleyholidaypark.co.uk/site-plan.asp

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
LB
7 - 19 are the best . However 18 & 19 & 34 will be problematic if you use a sat dish.
The kiddies playground has never bothered us , noise wise.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
LB
7 - 19 are the best . However 18 & 19 & 34 will be problematic if you use a sat dish.

Thanks for that DD.
Hopefully kids wont be a problem for us because the little sweeties should be in school
smiley-laughing.gif

Sat dish neither a problem. I hardly watch TV and Her Ladyship says she's not bothered about one which pleases me no end. Less for me to do in having to set it up.
I've changed my mind (if the wife can so can I) about the pitch. Looking at it again last night I chose 10. I just hope you can reserve the pitch when booking which we will do as soon as it's possible.
We aren't going away again this year so to brighten up the days, especially now I'm approaching my SAD time, we are planning next years jaunts which starts in March
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi there
We had two weeks in Cornwall in July this year and visited Newquay - it was very busy during the daytime in the centre and had it an air of unrest about it then. Fortunately we only stayed a few hours but it will not be on our agenda in the future.

An extremely nice 'adults only' site is Chacewater Park near Truro - owners very welcoming - very clean - friendly. Special reductions available - was recommended to us and certainly could we not fault it. This site is also handy for the Park & Ride into Truro.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
LB

Done and dusted DD
smiley-smile.gif

Booked 2 weeks at River Valley in May for £124. Just the thought of next May has now brightened up my SAD malaise ... heh! heh! heh!
Got to sort March out yet though
smiley-undecided.gif
and maybe April. Easter is late this year, end of April, so will have to watch that.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Dustydog said:
LB

Done and dusted DD
smiley-smile.gif

Booked 2 weeks at River Valley in May for £124. Just the thought of next May has now brightened up my SAD malaise ... heh! heh! heh!
Got to sort March out yet though
smiley-undecided.gif
and maybe April. Easter is late this year, end of April, so will have to watch that.

LB
You'll have to have a few meals at this place. 3 miles away towards Newquay. They do an "EB" Early Bird specials. Unbelievable.
http://www.whitepyramid.co.uk/

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
newquay has become and end of school year party town for 16 / 17 year olds.

often funded by middle and upper class parents the kids are financed to go on a 2 week junket. The police have been trying to solve the problem but the kids just get take the booze from home , get slaughtered then head into town for more.
The problem they have is hotel , b&b and campsite owners welcoming these kids with open arms as they spend a lot of daddys money.

The local authority have responded by ensuring the police visit camp sites and confiscate as much booze as possible, but it seems the kids just phone daddy , and they get some more.

Its their reward for working hard and getting a few gcse's.
most chavs could not afford to go to newquay by the away.

Newquay is quite nice outside school holidays , but steer clear in the evenings during the end of June, through July and August.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Newquay to me is Cornwall's version of Blackpool, Brighton, etc. pleasant for a day but somewhere I'd not want to stay. However the next bay along, Crantock , is unspoilt . You takes your pick. Better you know where the potential "problem" areas maybe. As a teen I went there with my mates and had a great time!
smiley-laughing.gif
strange how age distorts what you see
smiley-wink.gif

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Anyone looking for a good Caravan Club CL try here.

MR & MRS C TATLOW
Frenton Farm
Park Road
Whitemoor
St Austell
PL26 7XQ
England

Telephone: 01726 823098
We have stayed a couple of times ,14 nights, £120 with electric.

Brian

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
As you will know having been there before - Treamble Valley isn't actaully near Newquay really it's very near Perranporth which is far nicer than Newquay anyway. Newquay doesn't hide what it is, it's very busy seaside resort, no different from memory to Torquay or maybe St Ives.

Newquay has no more of drug problem than many other places in Cornwall or the rest of this country - you could agrue that River Valley is near St Austell which is no oil painting and has it's fair share of issues as well.Although we have been to River Valley and it's a very nice site - being near St Austell is no barrier

Comments made about places are subjective anyway it all depends what you want.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Robfooty said:
As you will know having been there before - Treamble Valley isn't actaully near Newquay really it's very near Perranporth which is far nicer than Newquay anyway. Newquay doesn't hide what it is, it's very busy seaside resort, no different from memory to Torquay or maybe St Ives.

Newquay has no more of drug problem than many other places in Cornwall or the rest of this country - you could agrue that River Valley is near St Austell which is no oil painting and has it's fair share of issues as well.Although we have been to River Valley and it's a very nice site - being near St Austell is no barrier

Comments made about places are subjective anyway it all depends what you want.

robfooty the OP asked..........

'there is something niggling at the back of my mind about problems in recent years. Not with the site itself, I'm fairly sure, but with the area. Was it something to do with anti social behavoir in Newquay'?

People answered him honestly regarding Newquay and somehow I can't see how that resort can be compared to St. Ives.
St. Austell isn't a resort but a town with a market, Asda, Tesco etc. although there are nice beaches within a few miles.
You say Treamble Valley 'isn't actually near Newquay'. Well in my mind 6 miles is near to me but as I said to JohnM, don't let Newquay put you off despite them having the nearest supermarket for your shopping. Morrisons is on the outskirts of Newquay so no need to visit the town if you don't want to although it isn't too bad in the day time.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
i fany cornwall this year again in april not as busy as summer hols. i do fancy this site and you know im a stickler for cc sites lol.
another good site i checked out whilst i was last down cornwall was sunny meadows, goonhaven, nr perranporth. hig season £16 pn all in inc the kids lol. cheaper for 2 adults.

jo

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Back in the eighties we went to Halye, Godvrey Davy CC when the Daughter was around five, 31 now walk her down the aisle in June. What l rememeber of the site it had wonderful views out to sea and direct access to the coastal path, thought about going their after the wedding around early July before school hols, anyone been recently is it still all grass pitches.
NigelH

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site

Just looked at Hayle Towan Beach, looks brilliant has we remembered it apart from one thing the dog was allowed on the beach back in 1984 not so now, so Cornwall has lost another tourist, we shan't be giving our hard earned cash. Another win for the anti dog brigade, if l remember last time we were there the only dirt we could see was left by humans. Will have to stick to the inland sites where we are welcome and have no restrictions where we can walk the dogs has long as we take the doggy bags and clean up after them, which of course is correct. Pity we would love to go and reminisce.

Nigel H

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts