Coronavirus

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I suppose that never seeing 70 again I might be classed as ā€œ vulnerableā€. When do you recommend that I should start self quarantine? Immediately, or if it arrives in Wiltshire, or wait for 2-3 months until its rampant? The last thing this vulnerable old gent requires is to be locked away now that the weather may be perking up after one of what must be the worst winters I can recall with itā€™s never ending rain and gloom. šŸ˜‚
You can quarantine in your caravan in some lovely placesšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž

Reactions: JezzerB and Beehpee
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thatā€™s a good idea, but at present we are gaining lots of loyalty points for NHS parking in Coventry and Bath, but fortunately only as visitors.

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Someone said the NHS gives free flu and pneumonia jabs to over 60ā€˜S I think itā€™s 65ā€™s in case anyone is thinking of getting a jab, also someone said they seemed to be the only person on here taking this seriously by curtailing a trip abroad, maybe itā€™s best to not go touring abroad but it still seems pretty safe and low risks to travel in the uk, not sure they are the only person taking it seriously but thereā€™s a big difference between taking it serious and panicking unnecessarily and going no where.
If we are really lucky it might largely pass us by here in the UK

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately several posts have had to be either edited or removed from public view as they had nothing to do with the Topic and were straying into more political areas, which is not permitted.

Coronavirus has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit or its outcomes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure about that either. If you are a fit healthy over70 your immune system must be really good. My grandma at 90 was never ever ill! I just find it all a bit odd!

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
As a keen fishing person my wife gave me some time ago bottle of correct sanitizer which I frequently used whilst fishing. Last week went to chemist to buy same but found nothing like it , they were really moisturises and such.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I noticed today, Normal Lunchtime with the over 65yr old motorcycle lads, that pre leaving the pub everyone, smelt very "Rosie" due to hand washing, before kitting up for home. And when taking the dogs out to the pub for their evening walk nobody were greating each other by hand shakes.
Lets hope this is more hype than reality as SWMBO has COPD. And would hate to have to leave her at home for the spring Woosie Fest. .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking at what is known I do wonder if it is as bad as the reports would suggest but time will tell. The vulnrable people are the most at risk but that applies to almost all infections. Possibly the biggest problem with a new infection is that more people suffer at the same time rather than it being more spread out, which makes dealing far more difficult.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm getting cheesed off with all this and the wrong information what is it we should be singing Happy birthday or God save the queen,

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I saw somewhere that "full stats" in the UK are available and this is the link:

The interesting thing is that up to yesterday, 16659 people have been tested, and 85 people are positive, or according to my calcs 0.5%...

As the 16659 are "symptomatic" and have been referred (presumably) for a test by 111 this puts a whole different light on the 85 cases...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
About a week or so ago I was looking at French camp site rates and noticed quite a number had reduced their rates further even after the reductions following the drop in bookings because of Brexit uncertainty.
Today I was looking at Premier Inn rates in the Midlands and compared to a week ago they too have come down. Also the PI have changed their booking arrangements as over the last two years that I have been using them they have had a Flex rate with cancellation or change up to 1pm on the day of arrival. There was also a cheaper no change rate too. Now I see that the no change rate is Semi Flex up to 14 days prior to arrival. I suspect this is in response to anticipated or real reduction in bookings likely to Coronavirus.

So businesses are already making changes in response to likely or real circumstances.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I saw somewhere that "full stats" in the UK are available and this is the link:

The interesting thing is that up to yesterday, 16659 people have been tested, and 85 people are positive, or according to my calcs 0.5%...

As the 16659 are "symptomatic" and have been referred (presumably) for a test by 111 this puts a whole different light on the 85 cases...

It rather depends on what triggers the testing. Is it people who are feeling unwell?, or is it people who have come back from an area where there are lots of cases? Or just becasue you have been in close proximity to an identified carrier?

I am certain one of the reasons why this virus is officially being treated with such care is becasue the human race is now far more mobile that it has ever been before, and the probability of someone bringing the virus back into the country is that much greater. The question is not so much if but when it gets to us.

Another reason for the authorities unprecedented actions is the fact this virus is new. I have heard it has jumped from animals to human and it had not been seen or predicted previously.

These days most of the human flu type viruses are known about and tracked, and as they evolve, the vaccines are quickly developed from similar strains. In the case of the Corona virus, it is new, so there has been very little research carried, and there is no prior vaccine that comes close to touching it. or that can be re engineered to fight it in the short term.

Whilst some one has suggested it is spread by droplets, the rate of transmission throughout China and now some other countries suggests it may have other means of spreading. Perhaps its persistence on touchable surfaces is longer than previous viruses, and of course there are those that despite knowing they are infected will not follow the safety protocols and will go on with life without caring what happens to others.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
According to the papers vaccines have now been developed, but need testing. By the time they have been tested the damage will be done though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
According to the papers vaccines have now been developed, but need testing. By the time they have been tested the damage will be done though.
But even if they were cleared for use on humans just think how long it would take to produce large enough quantities to be effective. The WHO and national health authorities are planning the influenza vaccine at least 12 months ahead of when the vaccination programme commences. Then only certain categories of people are vaccinate. So Iā€™m afraid with Coronavirus it will be up to our immune systems perhaps with some help from the medics using retrovirals for those worse affected.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I ont think there is any doubt a vaccine will become available. However, they are talkling human trials towards the back end of this year. Next year before mass production starts, which I think by then this "emergency" will have run its course.

Far more of a problem for me is the information being given out. The way this virus is spreading seems to be far more airborne than with contact of an infected surface, so the protection advice being given is appearing to be a sop to the public. The truth is they really havent a clue what is going on but they want to be seen to be doing something.

When I left the forces, I worked for the Home Office for a while, delivering to and collecting from prisons and this was at the time that AIDs was becoming the big scare topic. The government at that time put out to the public that AIDs couldnt be caught from toilet seats etc. Home Office staff on the other hand were given a bulletin that stated that at that time, there was no conclusive evidence that AIDs couldnt be caught from toilet seats etc, and that extra vigilance was required when using facilities on prison estates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Certain posts and parts of posts have been removed .
Users are advised not to start bringing politics into the discussion, or use language which is not suitable for the aims of the Forum and Practical Caravan.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
About a week or so ago I was looking at French camp site rates and noticed quite a number had reduced their rates further even after the reductions following the drop in bookings because of Brexit uncertainty.
Today I was looking at Premier Inn rates in the Midlands and compared to a week ago they too have come down. Also the PI have changed their booking arrangements as over the last two years that I have been using them they have had a Flex rate with cancellation or change up to 1pm on the day of arrival. There was also a cheaper no change rate too. Now I see that the no change rate is Semi Flex up to 14 days prior to arrival. I suspect this is in response to anticipated or real reduction in bookings likely to Coronavirus.

So businesses are already making changes in response to likely or real circumstances.

I would say just about any conceivable 'booking' type you can think of will be down - especially if it involves overseas. I have overheard numerous people saying they are not 'booking abroad' yet, if at all, this year. And plenty of airlines/hotels have said they are being inundated with cancellations.
For our business, we have to attend a number of trade fairs abroad; already we have lost one in China, and another in the USA in a few weeks. We have one in the USA early May, and i am pretty sure that will also be knocked on the head as it gets nearer. This is going to cost millions in lost economy due to stagnant trade.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No, you purposely used another word in capital letters designed to overcome the auto check ,,,,,,,,,,,it does not work !!!
Not intentionally, it never occured to me about autocheck or capitals getting round it. Whatever it is, I wasnt trying to beat it. I just changed the word in question to something else that wasnt meant to be offensive. Sorry, thought I was doing the right thing.

I will now hang my head in shame, and have one less pint tonight as a punishment. ;)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I would say just about any conceivable 'booking' type you can think of will be down - especially if it involves overseas. I have overheard numerous people saying they are not 'booking abroad' yet, if at all, this year. And plenty of airlines/hotels have said they are being inundated with cancellations.
For our business, we have to attend a number of trade fairs abroad; already we have lost one in China, and another in the USA in a few weeks. We have one in the USA early May, and i am pretty sure that will also be knocked on the head as it gets nearer. This is going to cost millions in lost economy due to stagnant trade.
Also U.K. hotel chains must be a bit iffy as Premier Inn have changed their booking options with prices down as well as a couple of nice hotels in the center of Lincoln that I was viewing over the last couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts