Correct Hitch lock?

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello all,
I am convert from camping to caravaning so just starting a fresh to this brave new world! I have recently bought an old 2003 Abbey Adventure van but getting a little confused on the type of Hitch lock I need to get? Done some basic google searching but just confused myself even more.

In short what would be the most suitable hitch lock for my Caravan?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It'll depend what hitch you caravan has - Alko was more common but Winterhof were also used - in addition, previous owners may have changed the hitch to a stabiliser type, of which there are several.

A photo would help contributors identify the hitch

Reactions: Madpad_01
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Are you buying a hitchlock because you are worried about security or to comply with the insurance conditions. Frankly they are pretty useless in most cases as thieves can simply use a chain to tie the caravan onto the towing vehicle and leave the lock to be dealt with later. A good wheel clamp is more effective but not totally thief proof.
If it is for insurance purposes it need only be a cheap one, but if for security I would not bother personally, but you do need to make your own mind up on that one.
They do have a purpose though if you stop at services and leave the caravan, as with many you can leave the car attached to the caravan securely.

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
If it is for insurance purposes it need only be a cheap one, but if for security I would not bother personally, but you do need to make your own mind up on that one

Mainly for Insurance, as I have a Milenco Wraith Wheel Clamp for security.

Spoke to the dealer, they informed I have a ALKO 3004, but looking at pictures I took it would seam I have ALKO 2004. Is there a difference between the two?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

Spoke to the dealer, they informed I have a ALKO 3004, but looking at pictures I took it would seam I have ALKO 2004. Is there a difference between the two?
From memory the 2004 and 3004 are virtually identical - unlike the AKS 1300 which is quite different.

May 2, 2020
Visit site

I think the difference is the weight limit of force for different towing conditions surface/inclines ect 2000kg for 2004 and 3000kg for 3004, the other difference is the front and rear friction pads however the 2 side friction pads are the same in both
Hope this helps
Gra

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
As far as I know the only external visual difference between 2004 & 3004 is the Stabiliser Handle... which isn't engaged when the hitch lock is on. You are securing the coupling handle with a hitch lock.

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
All,

Thanks for all your replies, information was very useful and gave me the information I needed. Got my security sorted just need to collect my van next week.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Madpad, for yourself and another newcomer to the forum, There are "spreader pads" which ,can be bought to go under the caravan stabaliser legs to stop them from sinking into soft ground, Bits of wood work well, but I prefer the ones always attacked to the stays. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts