Correct ride

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Looking for a definition here. So we’re set to go now and I’ve got my weights sorted and gear correctly distributed across the van.

So the question is:

If the nose weight is too high (or low), what should I look out for on the drive. Obviously a nose weight gauge is great but are there any obvious things to look out for in the handling that will give me an indication that something might need adjusting?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Looking for a definition here. So we’re set to go now and I’ve got my weights sorted and gear correctly distributed across the van.

So the question is:

If the nose weight is too high (or low), what should I look out for on the drive. Obviously a nose weight gauge is great but are there any obvious things to look out for in the handling that will give me an indication that something might need adjusting?

All depends on what you mean by too high or low. As noseweight reduces the van will feel more skittish and as road undulations or passing vehicles disturb the outfit the van can be seen and felt moving side to side. And taking longer too settle. Too high and suspension on car my bottom out. You may exceed hitch or towbar specifications and do damage. But it should be stable!

May 29, 2018
Visit site
That’s great cheers.
It’s likelybtonbe too low rather than high now I guess so will look out for that once we get going off the ferry on Monday. We don’t really a a long stint before the port

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
That’s great cheers.
It’s likelybtonbe too low rather than high now I guess so will look out for that once we get going off the ferry on Monday. We don’t really a a long stint before the port

If you do have concerns it’s always useful to have some kit weighed so you could move it forwards. Also make sure tyre pressures are at correct level.
If you search on forum you will see advice on how to measure noseweight using bathroom scales. I used that method as a means of calibrating my Milenco noseweight so no longer trips I could do a check as we moved sites or came home without the hassle of setting up bathroom scales. I now only use the Milenco.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I thought low nose-weight would be a symptom of a caravan heavily loaded at the rear, which would induce sway/snaking. High nose-weight would negatively impact the handling of the car by the front end being lifted.

Noseweight limit is 90KG on my car, so have always aimed to get close to that (measured by Millenco gauge). The Sprite has always been very stable behind my car, but i have always carefully loaded heavy items and getting the AL-KO dampers has improved the towing experience.

The only time I have experienced a symptom of poor loading or low noseweight was the beginning of a snake when the caravan was empty for a trip to the dealers. I must have been hit by a gust of wind on an open section of raised dual carriageway; it was undramatic and nothing really registered on my dashcam other than the verbal reaction. Lifting off the power stopped any further oscillation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The essential thing to understand is that as speed increases so does the possibility of instability. Start driving modestly, and feel how the outfit handles. at the first signs of any instability, slow down by lifting off the accelerator, and slowing gently, if brakes are needed be very gentle with them.

Stop at the earliest safe opportunity and re trim load in the caravan to raise nose load slightly. Repeat the process with due regard for not exceeding the tow couplings nose load limit.

Remember that if you redistribute the load in the caravan, of you move an item that weights 5kg from behind the axle and position it the same distance in front of the axle you double the effect of just removing it completely.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
I thought......High nose-weight would negatively impact the handling of the car by the front end being lifted.

In principle you are correct, but it would normally take a very experienced test driver to notice the difference.

In practice if the nose load of a trailer made enough difference to the steering to be noticeable to a normal driver, the trailers nose load will be way above the towbars limit and in real danger of damaging the car and or coupling. The effect a within load limits nose load will be less than the effect of having a front seat passenger or not.

It really should not be a problem becasue vehicle speeds when towing are reduced compared to solo vehicles, and there will be other far more noticeable effects becasue of the extra mass of the caravan towed behind the vehicle.

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Enjoy your vacation Ste6t9, hope everything goes well.

ProfJohn
I am having a dilema at the moment regarding nose weights.
I towed from Biddulph to Tywyn (wales) approx 300 mile round trip, with a nose weght of approx 110-120kgs, & van was very stable.
On getting home starting researching weight limits on Car, Van & towball.
The car has a limit of 140kgs, the Brink detachable towbar has a weight limit of 175kgs, yet the Alko hitch says in the manual 100kgs max weight.

When we towed caravan with said nose weight above, there were no problems at all, everything felt stable & sure, but am i putting too much strain on the Alko unit.

Apolgies for putting this in someone elses thread, but seeing as its a live chat at the moment, would like to get it cleared once & for all.

Thank you
Grizzly

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:

ProfJohn
I towed from Biddulph to Tywyn (wales) approx 300 mile round trip, with a nose weght of approx 110-120kgs, & van was very stable.
The car has a limit of 140kgs, the Brink detachable towbar has a weight limit of 175kgs, yet the Alko hitch says in the manual 100kgs max weight.

When we towed caravan with said nose weight above, there were no problems at all, everything felt stable & sure, but am i putting too much strain on the Alko unit.

Apolgies for putting this in someone elses thread, but seeing as its a live chat at the moment, would like to get it cleared once & for all.

Thank you
Grizzly

The two figures that concern you are the 140kg limit on the car, and the 100kg limit on the Al-Ko hitch, the lowest of which (100kg) must not be exceeded. Exceeding it is likely to cause premature wear to the hitch/overrun brake mechanism. I’m sure that with a maximum of 100kg you’ll find that the caravan remains just as stable as it is with the 110-120 you’ve already experienced.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
GrizzlyBathplug said:

ProfJohn

Thank you
Grizzly

Hello Grizzly.

Nigel has pointed out the discrepancy in your figures and as a result it will be unnecessarily wearing things out, but there are other concerns as well. You must never have a static nose load that exceeds the capability of the weakest link in the chain of equipment - in your case 100kg for the coupling head.

For simplicity in this comment I will continue to use kg to express the value of a force, though technically I should be using Newtons which are the scientific unit of force

Probably the biggest concern is safety, and that relates to the fact that if the overrun brake mechanism is overloaded it may not slide properly reducing of even preventing the caravans brakes from applying properly or even not releasing correctly.

Another point is the car and caravan manufacturer will be very much aware that the static nose load is actually very much smaller than the actual load that motion and vibrations creates when towing.

To put this into perspective, a company I worked for took a car and caravan to the Motor Industry Research Associations (MIRA) test track in Nuneaton. The caravan was loaded with accelerometers to measure the effects of towing over a number of different surfaces on the structure of the caravan whilst it was being towed. The results showed that even when towing over normal roads the vibrations typically created accelerations up to 4G (4 x the equivalent force of gravity but in many different directions) and on potholes and other severe road surfaces peaks of 8G frequently occurred. There was a 12G recorded peak on one run but it was not repeatable.

What this means is a static mass of 1kg could produce impact loads of up to 8kg force when subjected to an impact when the caravan was towed over a pothole.

Manufacturers will be aware of these sorts of results and will have specified their cars, towbars and couplings etc. to cope with these types of momentary peak loadings. A car that is continually subjected to 4G impact loads will wear, which is why things need servicing or like springs and dampers periodically need to be replaced. The balancing act is to design enough durability for the vehicle to withstand these typical loads for a reasonable length of time (just longer than the warranty period). A car that is subject to higher G forces will wear more quickly, and early failures may be challenged by the manufacturer with suggestions the car has been used in a manner for which it was not intended. Ultimately too much load will cause a component failure before its expected life time is reached

I suggest If your coupling head is rated for a static load of 100kg, it should withstand the peak loads of 400kg generated by towing with ease for the normal life of the product. If it is subjected 800kg impact loads it will reduce the time before significant wear becomes apparent.

However if you are overloading at 120kg, then the system will be seeing 480kg quite often which of course increases its rate of wear and on peak 8G loads at 980kg that is 180kg extra load on the components and that will be rapidly adding extra wear and potentially taking the system into its potential failure area.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
This week I could muck on with my nose weight to get to about 9o % but then when I put the bikes on the back ....... its going to lighten me front end a bit , but never had a problem .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
This week I could muck on with my nose weight to get to about 9o % but then when I put the bikes on the back ....... its going to lighten me front end a bit , but never had a problem .
I am sure Swift allowed for the weight of cycles on the rear rack. It shouldn’t be too difficult moving a few things to achieve your normal nose load :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If looking at the loaded out fit from the side, the CAMH suggest that the caravan should have a slight nose down attitude. As the others say if your hitch is 100 kg that is the maximum nose weight but if you need to possibly a higher value hitch might work but do check the chassis can manage that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts