Cosidering moving to a twin Wheeler

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Those out their with twin wheelers.

At the moment l tow a AceFirestar single axle, the twin wheeler l am looking at is a Sterling Elite Searcher, which is about 2 ft longer than the Ace or their about, doesn't seem much l know but how do twins tow compared to single axle vans.

Her that has to be obeyed seems to have set her mind on the bigger van mainly due to the great end washroom, against the small side one we have in the Firestar, me personally couldn't care less but you know how women like to pamper them selves in bathrooms and l must admit the one in the searcher dwarfs ours.

Anyone out there got the Sterling Searcher your thoughts would be greatly appreciated; we have looked at one-today, looks the business.

NigelH

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nigel

I switched from a single axle to a twin axle just over 2 years ago with our Abbey 620 and although at first I was very concious of the extra length of the outfit I've become used to it now.

I tow with a swb 4x4 and the t/a is a good stable tow when loaded correctly, the only real difference in towing is the way that the t/a behaves on heavily rutted stretches of motorway.

The ruts seem to have more of an affect on the t/a which was alarming when I first encountered it.

When I reach a rutted section now and the caravan starts to twitch around a bit I just ease off, treat the movement as I would a developing snake and take it easy until the road surface improves.

I'm concious of the rear end swing when in traffic but once you become used to the size of the unit there is not a great deal of difference as far as I'm concerned.

Our caravan has a fixed bed and a large end washroom with a good square shaped shower cubicle.

We both enjoy the extra space and comfort and wouldn't consider downsizing now.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI NGH we use to have a single axle,we bought a abbey gts TWIN AXLE,it much better to tow more stability on the road,lovely big shower,and bathroom,fixed bed,make sure you have long day beds in front.we will never go back to a single axle.P.S make sure you have movers on it,other wise they are awkward to manouver.the twin axle is brilliant.hope you choose a twin axle normally your better half gets their own way.ALL THE BEST ALAN P/T

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI PARKSY just spotted your post,snap we bought a abbey 620 gts just over a year ago,i tow with a kia sorento i dont have any problems towing the van anywhere,it could be the fact the sorento is heavier tow car.you cant feel the van on the back.all the best ALAN P T

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alan

We love our 620 and have never regretted buying it. We did a lot of research before choosing it but it paid off for us.

My ancient Pajero Trundle Truck tows well but I do notice the ruts in motorways.

When I eventually change my next towcar will be a Sorrento.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi, we went from a sterling elite single axel to a bailey wyoming twin axel. more stable and on the whole much more living space and feels so much bigger. what layout you thinking of?.

jo

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel

What a small world.

We also changed to a TA two years ago, Senator Wyoming. The fixed bed and large wash room is real comfort.

Towing , I've never felt much difference from the SAs other than reversing can scrub up the grass if you're not careful. The extra length is no problem.

We use a Kia Sorento and always select 4x4 low ratio for manoeuvering.

Have lots of comfortable fun.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
In twins you do gain in the bathroom deptartment also worth noting is although some single axles have the same fixed bed area i have seen none with the big fridge which they fit in the twin axles this is a godsend and is now on my must have lists when i look at vans

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Dusty, Mitsubishi advise Auto Shoguns to tow in 4x4, no one seems to no why but have to comply incase it causes problems, thought it might cause an increase in fuel consumption but not that much difference from my previous manual Shogun, did you notice an increase in the twin van against the single Axle in fuel consumption.

Not that it would cause us to change our minds if their were.

NigelH

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I have always towed using 2wd with my automatic Pajero. The towcar uses more fuel when towing the t/a than when towing the s/a Lunar Clubman that we had before as you might expect.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nigel

The Sorento is manual with auto sensing 4x4.Primarily it runs in 2x2 but if it senses slippage the front drive kicks in.

When reversing on site we always select 4X4 low ratio. It avoids too much clutch slippage and makes the whole job easier imo.

The Wyoming is about 300kgs more than the Pageant.

MPG wise I can't say I've noticed any difference at all. Tight turns need more care and advanced positioning but otherwise no problems.

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info, by the way passed one of the CC sites you love the other day on my way to play golf at Cavendish Golf Club Buxton, Grinlow had nosy on my way back looks like they were getting it ready for next weekend.

NigelH

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Parksy it something to do with the Shogun Auto from 07 onwards, dealer said it would be fine in 2x2 but when checked the handbook states 4x4 for towing trailers.

NigelH

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the info, by the way passed one of the CC sites you love the other day on my way to play golf at Cavendish Golf Club Buxton, Grinlow had nosy on my way back looks like they were getting it ready for next weekend.

NigelH
Just love Grinlow and the walk to Solomon's Temple before breakfast with the dogs. Sets you up for the day.

Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My Trundle Truck is 18 years old but still going strong.

For all I know there might be something written about towing on one of the numerous stickers on the truck - but they're all written in Japanese!

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
HI PARKSY,im glad you are thinking of joining the sorento clan you wont be sorry,mine is 2008 model.idont much about the 2010 ones,they are lighter,smaller engine 2.2 but 194 brake horse.well we are off to hurn lane somerset,on friday to chill out for at least 5 days.looking forward to it.all the best ALAN P/T

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Have great time in Somerset, we're off to a d.a. rally near Tewkesbury next weekend.

We see loads of Sorries on the rally fields now, they seem to have really caught on.

The Trundle Truck has to last us another three years before we will change it.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Sterling Searcher owner here, we have the 2008 model and are very pleased with it. The newer ones have a slightly different water system and a few wee odds and ends are different.

We bought it for the Alde central heating, the big fridge, and the fixed bed. The shower room is pretty similar in size to the one in our previous van, a Sterling Emerald.

The walk-in shower is very spacious, and there is plenty room to fit extra towel rails if required.

It's a great van for 2 people, even 3, but the wardrobe is small for a 4 berth.

We found the kitchen in ours lacked enough lights over the hob, which we have fixed.

We have air con fitted, and a Truma TE mover, so have had our MTPLM uprated to 1900 kg to keep our user payload intact as we do long trips and like to be well equipped.

The van tows very well. We tow with a Volvo XC90SE D5 Geartronic.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l folks looked at the Elite Searcher yesterday, took all my persuasive powers to talk her into waiting until early next year.

Two reasons we have only had the Ace Firestar 18 months, thought we needed bit more use out of it before we sold it.

Secondly, the in-laws have their Motor Home on our drive at the moment as we have an Annexe to the house where they live and it looks like they may give this up the Motor Home next year, which would allow us to have the new van in its place.

Thirdly told her their maybe a make over with the 2011 van, not sure if this will appease her until next year but for the time being we will stay with the Ace, for how long is any one's guess.

Elite Searcher owners out their how do you watch the TV in the lounge has the TV bracket only seemed to facilitate the bedroom, surely you don't stand it on the front table, or have l missed something.

Other than that she has fell totally in love with it.

One thing it's Stable mate the Swift seems to be

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Jennifer looking at the wrong Swift model, re Television Bracket their must be another part to it maybe it was not completely assembled.

How do you find the Sterling we have always gone for the Ace but now its discontinued we find the Elite interior better than the Swifts?

NigelH

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi, yes we prefer the lighter "wood" in the Sterling, though ours has the silver locker trims rather than the ebony and the "wood" is now different and I am not so keen on the present one.

As you said the interior is identical, just upholstery and colour that is different.

We had Sterling before and our dealer did not do Swift at that time, but we did go and look at the Swifts and decided to stay with the Sterling.

The TV bracket in ours has a long arm that is hinged in the middle so folds out so that the TV sits out beside (and can be pulled slightly in front of) the "cocktail cabinet" when facing the lounge. You need to watch as it is then a little in the way when walking through to the bedroom. Also the hinge in the arm rubs on the edge of the cabinet pillar and will mark it. We remove the TV when travelling, and the arm folds back into the unit and clips in place. The bracket also has a swivel on the end to allow the screen to be tilted to the best viewing angle.

G

There is no doubt that twin axle vans can offer a larger space. However, as they tend to much longer than single axle vans you may need to consider the sites that you wish to use. Here in the UK using the main Clubs there is not a problem but if you wish to go abroad, some sites have length limitations at about 7 meters. It is not that they do not wish to see you, it is just that many sites have tight narrow access roads and smaller pitches, whcih are bounded by hedges, unlike the open plan of the UK, so getting on to them can be a problem. It is not everywhere but especially in the popular areas, they do try to get away with the smallest area they can. Also there are some that do not accept TA vans in general, as this allows them to stop 'unwanted visitors'.

Again, it all boils down to the style of camping you prefer. If you are spending the majority of the time in the UK where the weather can be a bit 'iffy' then a lot of internal space is welcome. If you are in the sun a lot of the time, then the majority of your living is outside and the van is only for sleeping.

The other slight issue is that you will certainly need a larger tow car, unless you already have one, and there are cost factors to look at. You could be looking at 30 grand for a complete new outfit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts