Cosidering moving to a twin Wheeler

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Scotchlad got the car 07 Auto Shogun, Jenifer readig your post re TV, l take it is supplied with the van Yes or No, same as the Bailey senetors

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Scotch Lad raises a good point about length restrictions.

I think that commercial sites run by Haven have some sort of length restriction or there is an extra charge for longer pitches.

We use mainly certified sites and I normally ring them up to make sure of pitch availability before arriving.

During this conversation I mention that our caravan is t/a and ask if there are any problems with entrances or exits.

If I see a prospective site on the computer a quick look at the satellite zoom view on the map identifies any potential tight spots.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
The TV was supplied with ours, but it is no longer supplied on the newer models. No grest loss as it was a rubbish TV. We complained and complained and eventually got it changed for a decent one.

Our van had no radio, we fitted one, newer vans have radios fitted.

We have not had a problem with size as yet. Here we use mainly CC sites or CLs, but we were 3 months in france last year and never had a problem. We used mainly the ACSI card or CC Caravan Europe listed sites. We are off to Scandinavia this year and do not anticipate any problems, you should see the humungous vans they often have there!

I would not worry about getting a twin as far as sites are concerned.

I won't say what our complete new outfit cost....we had the car before the new van...all planned. Suffice to say we treated ourselves to a nice retirement present!

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
i would also say that if you want the fixed bed, and the bigger shower room, and the big fridge and the Alde heating, at the moment you have no option other than a twin axle. You can get a good single that will give you the fixed bed and a slightly smaller shower room.

We spend about equal time here and abroad, in fact this year we will only be abroad (4 months), but we do not only go to hot places, in fact we do not really like it too hot, so we like some decent space in the van. And the good shower etc means we do not need to worry about the site facilities (which we have often found to be less than satisfactory abroad). We go where we want and are self contained so no problems.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't quite understand the way twin axles are necessarily associated with size. I have a single axle caravan which is 7.82m (almost 26 ft) long and weighs 1800kg.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

To the best of my knowledge no mainstream British manufacturer makes a SA like yours. We have to look to Europe and then with the strong Euro the price becomes abortive.

To get size over here TA seems the only present route available.

Have I got that wrong??

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l agree with you Dusty, to get the amount l want from a tourer l need to go the twin wheeler way in Britain, not sure about European models or whether they are legal here.

Lutz can you answer this as l have only ever towed the single axle, if l could get the same amount of room on a single axle built in the UK l would probably look at it.

NigelH

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
l agree with you Dusty, to get the amount l want from a tourer l need to go the twin wheeler way in Britain, not sure about European models or whether they are legal here.

Lutz can you answer this as l have only ever towed the single axle, if l could get the same amount of room on a single axle built in the UK l would probably look at it.

NigelH
Despite its length, it's only 2.3m wide, so it would be perfectly legal in the UK.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have had a twin axle Elddis Crusader Storm and despite its long 8 metre length have never had any trouble getting onto sites and never been refused. In the UK we stay at CC CL's and in Europe ACSI or CC recommended sites, by emailing ahead I confirm that it is OK for the van and that access is OK. We tow with the ever faithful Kia Sorento XS automatice and no problems with that either.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ray

I have no trouble identifying narrow roads, gateways or surrounding features using Google Earth, the resolution is fine for me.

It's better still now with Street View, I chose the most suitable route into the village and did a virtual drive past this coming weekends rally site using Street View.

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nigel, we have the Sterling eccles ruby single axle, you were saying about size the overall length of the searcher is 7.95m ours is 7.51m and yours is 7.19m ours is 320mm longer than yours but the ruby has a similar layout to the searcher the tv bracket is great it pulls down from the cupboard above no need to pack up the tv before travelling neat idea, you get a 19" tv on the bracket, watch it in the lounge and swing it round for the bed, also the washroom at the back is the most spacious one on a single axle and its only 440mm shorter than the searcher.

Steve

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Rusty thanks for the info, this year we will be looking at all lay outs including the single axle end washroom fixed beds, we liked the Lunar SE Clubman and most probably look at all the Swift range of vans as we have had two so far and been pleased with both.

We also like the look of the Eldiss Super sirocco but the one that caught her indoors eye the most was the Elite Searcher, l prefer the Sterling Coral maybe because its around 2k cheaper but no doubt we will look at the Sterling Eccles Ruby as well.

One we won't be looking at is the Pegasus range; just don't like the interior, our opinion of course.

What l expect will happen is that after seeing vans on site this year no doubt she will change her mind ten fold woman's privilege l am told.

Thanks all of you for you info.

NigelH

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nigel, we have the Sterling eccles ruby single axle, you were saying about size the overall length of the searcher is 7.95m ours is 7.51m and yours is 7.19m ours is 320mm longer than yours but the ruby has a similar layout to the searcher the tv bracket is great it pulls down from the cupboard above no need to pack up the tv before travelling neat idea, you get a 19" tv on the bracket, watch it in the lounge and swing it round for the bed, also the washroom at the back is the most spacious one on a single axle and its only 440mm shorter than the searcher.

Steve
Hello Ruby,

I have posted on various sites about the TV mount on the Swift/Sterling caravans, as we have an order for a Challenger 570, due for delivery in Mid May. I like the idea of a larger TV i.e. 19" but was a little worried as to whether it would still swivel to the bedroon. You indicated in your response that you have fitted one, and that is does swivel, can you confirm what Make/Model you have in your van, and if it has an Integrated DVD player ? If possible could you also confirm the overall dimensions of the TV you fitted.

Appreciate any information you can give me, as we are new to caravanning, and do watch quite a lot of TV at home, so it is important to us.

Best regards,

George

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Ruby,

I have posted on various sites about the TV mount on the Swift/Sterling caravans, as we have an order for a Challenger 570, due for delivery in Mid May. I like the idea of a larger TV i.e. 19" but was a little worried as to whether it would still swivel to the bedroon. You indicated in your response that you have fitted one, and that is does swivel, can you confirm what Make/Model you have in your van, and if it has an Integrated DVD player ? If possible could you also confirm the overall dimensions of the TV you fitted.

Appreciate any information you can give me, as we are new to caravanning, and do watch quite a lot of TV at home, so it is important to us.

Best regards,

George
Hello Rusty,

Sorry for my mistake on your name, I gave it as Ruby, the model of your caravan, please accept my apologies.

Best regards,

George

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

Steve
Hello Rusty,

Sorry for my mistake on your name, I gave it as Ruby, the model of your caravan, please accept my apologies.

Best regards,

George

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ray

I have no trouble identifying narrow roads, gateways or surrounding features using Google Earth, the resolution is fine for me.

It's better still now with Street View, I chose the most suitable route into the village and did a virtual drive past this coming weekends rally site using Street View.
Thanks parksy

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
Hello Rusty,

Best regards,

George
Hi george, i will measure it tomorrow and get the model number of the tv, and post a reply tomorrow night.

Cheers

Rusty

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Bedford George, regarding the size of TV that fits the bracket from the cupboard above for the Swift Challenger 570, In my eccles ruby which is the same as yours i put in a 19" Panasonic TX-L19X10B which fits perfectly it has Freeview built in but no DVD player built in but there is plenty of room for a mini DVD player in the locker next to the TV, the TV cost

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes Jennifer noticed that, on the off side seat you could make it up for a bed comfortably, one thing l noticed with the Elite is the nearside loo which would mean emptying it via the awning not real problem, she still likes the idea of that big shower in the Elite against the smaller one in the coral.

Still not worked out how the television attaches to the fixed bracket, going to the dealers next Saturday to have another look wife's idea might mean the Chequebook out.

NigelH

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Bedford George, regarding the size of TV that fits the bracket from the cupboard above for the Swift Challenger 570, In my eccles ruby which is the same as yours i put in a 19" Panasonic TX-L19X10B which fits perfectly it has Freeview built in but no DVD player built in but there is plenty of room for a mini DVD player in the locker next to the TV, the TV cost

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
Hello Rusty,

Thanks for this information, I was only in Costco last Sunday, I did have a quick look at the TVs, but had forgotten to take my tape measure with me. This meant that I could not check the dimensions, of the TVs on show. I did ask one of the staff if he could get me one, but he was not able to do so. The DVD players as you say are quite small these days and relatively inexpensive, so this looks like the way to go.

Thanks for taking the time to check and reply, it will be most helpful in making our decision on the way to go.

Best regards,

George
Hi george, you will have to buy screws as they dont supply these, the size is M4x12 or M4x16 machine screws with a couple of flat washers thats what i used. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Rusty

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site

Feb 19, 2007
Visit site
Hello Rusty,

Been out this morning and had a look at the Panasonic in Currys, I measured it and it is 470mm wide. When you compare this with Swifts maximum size of 390mm wide, it opens many more options to us all. They also had one of thier own generic TVs, a Matsui c/w DVD player at a lower cost, but similar size.

I think I have now made my mind up to buy a normal TV, rather than one that operates via the Battery, as I think we are most likely to stay with sites that have EU. As we have a little time before we take delivery of the van, I will wait until I next visit Costco and probably buy it there, as they offer thier Consierge Service and a 5 year guarantee.

Thanks for all you help, it is appreciated.

Best regards

George
Hi again george,

Watch out for the thickness of the TV, also i could take a few snaps of the tv on the bracket from different angles and send them via email if thats any help. You would have to give me your email of course.

Cheers

Rusty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts