Covers Good or Bad ??

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we use a cover and would not be without one.

Keeps the worst of the weather off the van, keeps it cleaner, and makes the van less of a target for thieves as it is another obstacle to overcome to gain entry.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
total waste of money in my opinion, you cause more damage to the van putting the cover on and off and you stop the natural circulation of air to keep the van dry.

at the end of the day your van is (or should be )waterproof and if you keep it polished then cleaning is as easy as you could expect it to be.

As for the thief ? do you not think they carry stanley knives?.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been using one for 3 years now, no damage to van.

It is breathable, allowing circulation of air.

Thieves do not need stanley knives, there are velcro fastened door apertures, but it is still more to waste time getting inside.

Each to their own opinion however.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I decided against once, mainly because i had nowhere to put the cover on the storage site when i picked the van up. Plus it adds to hitch and put away time.

When you think about it, its a bit like a car in a garage, is it better - maybe, does it make any difference to the value if you dont - no. Can the carvan stay out for years and not leak generally yes, so other than less cleaning and if your a particular 'pride and joy' person then i cant see a case for one.

Oct 7, 2006
Visit site
The waterproofing of a caravan dependents such a lot on the mastic sealant joints. Even mastic manufacturers would tell you that it breaks down when exposed to sun and cold etc. Its a great comfort to me when I look at my van on snowy or rainy days, that its covered by a decent cover. Not only that though, they protect it from fading and brittle plastic due to the sun (have you noticed how older caravans are faded).

They can and do cause minor scratching to the plastic windows of the van, but I find these easily polish out. On balance, I wouldn't be without one - I include the cost of a cover when buying a hnew van, as long as its a good quality, breatable, fitted one.

wouldn't recomment a generally purpose loose fitting cover as i would imagine they can cause a lot of damage flapping about in the wind.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I looked into covers years ago and decided they were a waste of time. There is plenty of press that says they do more damage than good eg scratch the windows etc. Modern caravans were designed to be out in all weathers . Why do manufacturers give water ingress integrity guarantees of up to 6 years? Because they know their vans can take the strain of British weather.

Anyway we use ours throughout the year so it would be inconvenient to cover it up!

And those smart alecs who cover the plastic windows with cling film are doing more harm than good. The cling film causes crazing to the surface of the window.

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts