Cracked Crystal water filter housing

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or do others have problems with leaking Truma Crystal water filter housings caused by cracking at the bottom of the cylindical housing? I only screw the filter in by hand, as recommended, but the housing only seems to last about a year before cracking again. I've had the problem on both a 1993 Lunar Clubman and on a 1998 Avondale Avocet.

Would it be better to remove the filter cartridge whilst travelling. The design seems poor due to the threads having a cutout at the bottom, and vibration whilst travelling could put stress at that point?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi I've got a 2006 van and this system has never worked from new. Obviously the gap at the bottom is a drain hole, but i found the housing let in air causing annoying tap splattering inside which soaked the van!!

Subsequentely theres a hairline crack.

Solution - seal the whole unit up with clear sealant and dont bother changing the filter - we never drink the van water anyway.!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While I agree the cut out at the bottom is a weakness, it's only over tightening that finds that weakness.

Lubrication of the thread and rubber seal allows the filter to be tightened smoothly without going to far and cracking the housing. Carver recommended 'cooking oil' I'd narrow that down to only Olive oil is suitable, best though is Silicone grease which is made for the job.

What you should never use is Vaseline which will swell the rubber seal and have the same effect as over tightening

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The housing has a (very) small moulded bump in it which is supposed to stop you overtightening. A good lubricant helps the threads to run smoothly and thus makes it easier to detect when you get to this position. When I had a van with this type of filter I always used the silicone grease sold in DIY's for assembly of domestic plastic pipes - most of these products as approved for use on potable (drinking) water systems and won't go rancid which is a risk with olive oil

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your replys. It must be me that is overtightening the filter by hand, as nobody else appears to have cracked housings. I do use olive oil on the gasket, but have never lubricated the threads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts