cracked fibre glass front panels

May 18, 2005
Visit site
Hello,I have a 2004 abbey aventura that i purchased new and three months after purchase the front panel cracked,this was repaired and soon after cracked again in a different place, i then insisted on a new front panel being fitted ,now the new panel has cracked and i have been told that the manufacturer is only willing to repair the panel and not replace.i have been sent a letter by my dealer telling me that the manufacturer in question "due to the nature of the material used they cannot guarrantee that any of the front panels on any of their caravans will not crack".The dealer concerned has also told me that cracks in fibre glass panels do not devalue the caravan.Has anyone else had a similar experience and can you help.best wishes to all, Andy G

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy G

For some time now I come to thick that the fixing were the handle are are just not up to the job with fibre glass front panels.

All so its not just Abbey caravan as I seen it put on this forum that the front place have crack in it.

When you thick a bout it you are try to move the caravan by pulling on 4 blots which are pulling on the fibre glass in a small place so so thick is going to give.

Sorry can not give any help

other than say get a mover which would be wrong.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Because there is a lot of flexing of a caravan body, I suppose it is inevitable that something is going to give. Depending on the severity of the crack, what's the problem with a repair? Assuming it is done properly and looks OK, is watertight and doesn't affect the value of the van, I don't see too much of a problem.

I have just part exchanged a 2001 Bailey Ranger with a small crack near to the window surround. The dealer noticed it when he inspected the van and I thought it would cause me a problem. He just said, 'They'll fix that in the workshop, don't worry.'

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
I have written to both the Cara Club and this magazine about this poor build quality in the past. I feel that all vans ought to be reviewed outside as well as in. If one looks at German vans, their four corners are made of a rigid plastic, whereas UK vans are flimsy. Weight really cannot be much of an excuse.

Alex

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts