Cracked front window on my Ranger 500/5

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When i went up to my storage to check on my van I was horrified to find that the front window had a small 2 inch crack on the outside and the inside window was cracked from the top right hand corner to the bottom left hand corner. Has this happen to anyone else I would like to know.

May 31, 2007
Visit site
Lisa,

Have you asked or checked with the storage owner if there has been any breakins or attempted breakins recently, I may be wrong but it could be eith an attempt at getting in the van as im sure you would have noticed it when you put the van back in storage after your last outing after checking all windows are secure. I can't see this happening with traveling back on your last outing unless it was hit by something but the large split you say is on the inside and small crack on outside, not sure what anyone else thinks about it, but I would ask the site owner just incase other vans have been possibly damaged.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

Have you asked or checked with the storage owner if there has been any breakins or attempted breakins recently, I may be wrong but it could be eith an attempt at getting in the van as im sure you would have noticed it when you put the van back in storage after your last outing after checking all windows are secure. I can't see this happening with traveling back on your last outing unless it was hit by something but the large split you say is on the inside and small crack on outside, not sure what anyone else thinks about it, but I would ask the site owner just incase other vans have been possibly damaged.
Hi Ian,

We spoke to the storage owner and he said that there has been no other caravans damaged, and he has got CCTV there so i suppose he would have noticed anyone having a go at it. I am just baffled by how it could have happened.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I would agree with Ian on this-it looks very much like an attempted break in. If you were to lever the bottom right hand corner,you would expect the window to bend along the the line of the crack you described. If this is also the location of the crack in the outside pane, then this almost certainlty the cause. Check if the catches are bent, broken or distorted too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I would agree with Ian on this-it looks very much like an attempted break in. If you were to lever the bottom right hand corner,you would expect the window to bend along the the line of the crack you described. If this is also the location of the crack in the outside pane, then this almost certainlty the cause. Check if the catches are bent, broken or distorted too.
Hi Chris

The outside crack is on the top right hand and not exactly in the corner a little bit away. But I will certainly check on the catches to see if anything is bent.

May 31, 2007
Visit site
If you checked the windows when you last left your vav at the storage and no damage was present then it has to have been done while in storage. how long is it since you last visited your van from dropping it off, I know you said the owner has cctv but he is not going to sit watching it 24/7 and for him to say no nothing has happened well unless he has gone over every min of cctv footage he cant say nothing has happened. now im not sure what type of cctv he has it could be vcr recorded if so how often does he keep the recordings. we have cctv at work and it is stored on a hard drive to we can go back months and months of footage but without an idea of time and date its hard to find anything.

Is the storage a secure compound or just an outside storage with cctv on one part, if the 2nd well I think it maybe worth reporting to the police as attempted breakin giving the dates you last left the van to finding the damage, you will be given a police crime number so you can pass it onto your insurance company. There is some debate about wether the storage should pay for it as you are paying them to look after your property but well who really stands a chance of getting that and it would then increase you storage fees. But they should have an insurence policy covering damage to property and public liability, thats if you want to make enquiries down that road.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you checked the windows when you last left your vav at the storage and no damage was present then it has to have been done while in storage. how long is it since you last visited your van from dropping it off, I know you said the owner has cctv but he is not going to sit watching it 24/7 and for him to say no nothing has happened well unless he has gone over every min of cctv footage he cant say nothing has happened. now im not sure what type of cctv he has it could be vcr recorded if so how often does he keep the recordings. we have cctv at work and it is stored on a hard drive to we can go back months and months of footage but without an idea of time and date its hard to find anything.

Is the storage a secure compound or just an outside storage with cctv on one part, if the 2nd well I think it maybe worth reporting to the police as attempted breakin giving the dates you last left the van to finding the damage, you will be given a police crime number so you can pass it onto your insurance company. There is some debate about wether the storage should pay for it as you are paying them to look after your property but well who really stands a chance of getting that and it would then increase you storage fees. But they should have an insurence policy covering damage to property and public liability, thats if you want to make enquiries down that road.
Hi Ian,

I am going to go up to the storage tonight and I am going to check all the catches on my window as suggested by Chris if these have been tampered with then I will be contacting the police.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian,

I am going to go up to the storage tonight and I am going to check all the catches on my window as suggested by Chris if these have been tampered with then I will be contacting the police.
Shame Bailey changed their front window design the older models with 3 windows were much better more secure and cheaper to renew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts