Cracked skylight

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Last year we noticed a crack appear on the inner skin of the clear skylight, I drilled a small hole to stop it spreading further but would like to seal / bond this as I don't want to riak the crack spreading. Is there a way to bond the crack?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We also had an issue with a crack on our skylight and the unit had to be replaced. Luckily ours was under warranty however it is a common occurrence and a known issue so a number are being done under warranty. Our crack was dead straight and at first thought it was the make up of the surround and a join that had come apart.

Rear skylight issue2.jpg

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, I was thinking of using something stronger such as aradlite in the hole, accepting that it's not totally clear, this I just need s omething that will flow into the crack and glue it, I was then thinking of something like Captains Tolley's crack cure, but need to check if it will be strong enough.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Forget gluing with anything as appreantly it does not work. It cracks elsewhere due to a flaw in the manufacturing process. If caravan is under 5 years old try getting it done under CRA 2015 as it is a known fault across all brands. No hamr in asking and costs nothing. Thye cna only give you one answer if you do it right. If not, maybe a second hand frame from a scrappy?

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Sadly the van is now 6 years old and out of any warranty. I've been researching glues and there are a few out there designed for just this purpose, essentially liquid solvents which flow into the crack by capillary action and weld it, (weld-on 3, tensol 12 etc)

I assume it would be best to remove the light so gravity helps the liquid flow into the crack. When we can finally get the van back home from storage I'll give it a go and report back.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sadly the van is now 6 years old and out of any warranty. I've been researching glues and there are a few out there designed for just this purpose, essentially liquid solvents which flow into the crack by capillary action and weld it, (weld-on 3, tensol 12 etc)

I assume it would be best to remove the light so gravity helps the liquid flow into the crack. When we can finally get the van back home from storage I'll give it a go and report back.

Have you tried a scrappy for a replacement second hand skylight as you may fix this crack only to have another one appear a couple of months later due to the plastic trim becoming brittle? If gluing be careful not to bond it to the roof of the caravan.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Finally got a chance to work on the crack using Tensol 12. Even without taking the roof light off it flowed into the 6" crack nicely relying on capillary action and now seems solid, any light pressure made the crack spread before, now with fair pressure there's no movement. It's stil a visible crack but the Tensol dried perfectly clear.

I have not drilled the end of the crack as even light pressure made it spread.

Time will tell but so far so good.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Finally got a chance to work on the crack using Tensol 12. Even without taking the roof light off it flowed into the 6" crack nicely relying on capillary action and now seems solid, any light pressure made the crack spread before, now with fair pressure there's no movement. It's stil a visible crack but the Tensol dried perfectly clear.

I have not drilled the end of the crack as even light pressure made it spread.

Time will tell but so far so good.
As said we had a crack which they resealed instead of replacing. Unfortunately the crack spread as per pictureRear Heki skylight crack.jpg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts