Cracks Above Front Window On Caravan Can They Be Repaired

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
More than likely as probably damp ingress. If you are servicing your own caravan to sell for a profit, would you mention on the service sheet about the cracks?
Also how do you know whether a proper service has been done even though he claims to be a service engineer? I wonder if the business is even registered.
Do a search on the sales platform that you used to buy the caravan to see if he has done previous sales recently and also do a search on his name for reviews?
Thanks, I will check it out.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No I would not have bought it. I assumed because he was servicing it and doing a damp report anything like this that came up I would be covered.

You can tell the cracks have been there a while he obviously new about them as you say I would assume they would be brought up in a damp report because it is a possible problem.

What would be the best fix for it.
I think you mistaken about the scope of a damp survey. The survey will consist of a number of proto meter (Moisture) readings taken inside the caravan. If no adverse readings are found its unlikely the tester wold automatically carry out a full external inspection. On that basis it is possible the seller did not find any adverse readings and thus never looked around the top of the window.

I certainly do believe the cracks were there when you purchased the but there is the possibility the vendor did not know they were there. But that does not detract from the point about him stating the caravan was clear of this kind of fault. He either didn't know and decided to assume it was ok, or he knew about them and deliberately lied to you to entice you to buy the caravan.

Either way he is in breach of your rights as a consumer, the goods were not as described in this very specific way.

Cap't Tolleys is great for filling small cracks It is not a structural adhesive for highly mobile components. The edges of the cracks are probably too mobile for Capt T's to securely hold together under the stress of towing, so it might be a short term fix, but I would not expect it to be good in this situation.

There are companies who do repair plastics very successfully and evidence from teh other thread mentioned above, the repair can be almost invisible.

The other aspect we haven't touched on is the effect or severity of these cracks. Some panels are purely decorative and a failure might not cause any problems. You only really have a case if these cracks are responsible for any leakage. If you have no leaks then do you need to be concerned?

It still doesn't excuse the seller's ALL OK statement when asked about any cracks on the roof.

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
I will not be towing the caravan so I would say the Capt T’s would do the job.

Do you think I am entitled to a part refund?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I will not be towing the caravan so I would say the Capt T’s would do the job.

Do you think I am entitled to a part refund?
If that is what you want, then it certainly falls within the normal range of remedies for faulty goods.

But would you trust the seller who has lied about the roof. What else has he covered up. For example how accurate is his damp survey?

Only you can decide.

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Found another possible problem, how bad is this reading for damp, I have attached the damp report the seller done for me, where I have put the pencilled arrow, around 11.1 readings he is getting I am getting 17 to 18 in the second video.

The photo with the arrow is where I am getting the 20+ reading at the front left hand side, not sure where it is on his report.

He has put on the report there is no obvious signs of damp is the 20% a reading he should have taken in that spot and is it an obvious sign of damp or just normal for this age of caravan, it is just a bit suspicious why I am getting higher readings than he got, I am assuming he has a much more accurate meter than the one I have.

Thank you all again for the help.

IMG_3465.jpg

Damp Meter Reading.jpg

Here is a couple of pictures of the outside rail above where I am getting the high readings.

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg
View: https://vimeo.com/577161594

View: https://vimeo.com/577192052

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
Hello Everyone

I would like to set the record straight on this before it gets out of hand as it’s only one sided at the moment

Gavin brought the caravan of my partner Joanna. Not myself or my business. I carried out a full habitation service on the 8th of July. Which at the time there where no issues other than the lcd display for the Thetford fridge needing to be replaced. The reason I done this was to ensure it was alright before the sale which it was,
Gavin then has had the caravan for 10 days after we delivered it to his home. We spent 2 hours going through everything with him. Since then I have had countless messages for help and advice which I have done out of courtesy. Heck Gavin even sent me a photo of a **** in the toilet because he didn’t open the cassette before going.
This morning I get a text from him at 10 to 7 with photos, it’s taken 10 days for him to even bring this up and in this time have had text from him asking what sealant etc to use as he wanted to reseal the roof vent in the bathroom, again I don’t know his skill set or if he know what he is doing? If Gavin is playing around doing this what else is he doing?

I have not lied to him in any shape or fashion, I don’t know what he has done to the van in the 10 days he’s had it. For all I know this could be the result of him pressure washing it which obviously he says he hasn’t.

The van is 11 years old, he signed an agreement which clearly says sold as seen along with the price etc.

In total he spent half an hour to hour going round it initially, even brought his own damp meter with him which I said he could use if he wanted to. He had a further two hours on delivery.
Now Gavins asking for a full refund??

Reactions: Peter day
May 24, 2014
Visit site
This thread has the potential to get out of hand as they often do. I would suggest both patries should be discussing this between themselves.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Found another possible problem, how bad is this reading for damp, I have attached the damp report the seller done for me, where I have put the pencilled arrow, around 11.1 readings he is getting I am getting 17 to 18 in the second video.

The photo with the arrow is where I am getting the 20+ reading at the front left hand side, not sure where it is on his report.

He has put on the report there is no obvious signs of damp is the 20% a reading he should have taken in that spot and is it an obvious sign of damp or just normal for this age of caravan, it is just a bit suspicious why I am getting higher readings than he got, I am assuming he has a much more accurate meter than the one I have.

Thank you all again for the help.

View attachment 2019

View attachment 2021

Here is a couple of pictures of the outside rail above where I am getting the high readings.

View attachment 2027

View attachment 2028
View: https://vimeo.com/577161594

View: https://vimeo.com/577192052

Your meter is a cheap one and I would expect a service technician to use a professional grade meter. I used a damp meter the same as yours to monitor moisture looking for a rising trend in which case I would contact my AWS guy to do a proper check.

Reactions: Peter day
Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
So after sale it was used as the toilet was used to do a s4it, and others?

Cracks, 2 and a half hours of inspection, and didn't see the cracks even though it was high on the list and asked a specific question about it?

Caravan looks clean and no cracks on the day of delivery!

You only found the cracks after you gave the clean caravan a clean.

Check the security codes on the windows!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Citizens Advice Bureau is best course of action however as it was bought privately and not in the course of a business it is "Sold as seen". I think I know what CAB will be saying.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Citizens Advice Bureau is best course of action however as it was bought privately and not in the course of a business it is "Sold as seen". I think I know what CAB will be saying.

Years ago I bought a Morris 1300 Traveller. I thought it was a private purchase but it turned out the seller was effectively a trader selling from home. It might be worth byte OP checking how long the Seller had actually owned the caravan. Was it CRIS registered or insured in their name. Did they have service records in their name. If they did then unfortunately the OP is on a sticky wicket.

PS the Morris Traveller was a bag of nails and TS took the guy to court. But no Small Claims in those days so I lost out and had to bear the cost of a new engine gearbox unit. C’ est la vie.

Reactions: Buckman

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It might be worth byte OP checking how long the Seller had actually owned the caravan.

It is transpiring that the "seller", clearly a commercial operator, was not the "owner", but the owner's partner.

The person I bought it off services caravans he done a full damp report and a full service before I bought it.
Gavin brought the caravan of my partner Joanna. Not myself or my business.

This presents some legal issues, probably with pertinent implications, the one doing the selling and answering the questions not being the owner.
IMO Gavin really needs to seek legal advice if only from CAB and trading Standards, and very quickly.

Jul 21, 2021
Visit site
I can assure you it was a private sale, Joanna bought it from pioneer caravans back in 2014. We only sold it due to my work and not getting away in it enough.
it’s been insured for the last 7 years etc. it was a private sale

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
It was about a 15 minute inspection. As the seller was doing a service I thought if there was any problems like this I would be covered because they should have been flagged in the service. Now it looks like the seller is saying they were not there even though you can tell they are old and some have sealant on them and I have a ford fiesta with no tow bar and the seller delivered it positioned it and it has not been moved since. Here are a few more close up photos of the cracks.

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg
IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3495.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Does the damp report and the service the seller gave to me that should have highlighted the cracks mean anything were the sale is concerned?

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
Here is a close up pic of the worst crack that you can see has been previously filled with very old filler that has shrunk that takes quite a long time to happen certainly longer than 10 days, the ones that were not there when he delivered it.

Am I right that these should have been raised in the service? especially a combined in depth damp one, in which case I would not have bought it.

IMG_3500.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does the damp report and the service the seller gave to me that should have highlighted the cracks mean anything were the sale is concerned?
The damp report and service would have been done prior to sale therefore the contract was between the seller and the business. Only the seller (the partner) can claim under CRA 2015. In the eyes of the law it was a courtesy to give the report to you as they were under no obligation to supply the documentation.
The sale was between the partner and yourself and not between the caravan servicing business and yourself therefore your redress is with the partner and not the Tom person who manages a business.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I can assure you it was a private sale, Joanna bought it from pioneer caravans back in 2014. We only sold it due to my work and not getting away in it enough.
it’s been insured for the last 7 years etc. it was a private sale

As I said earlier, your direct involvement as a professional operator in this field raises pertinent legal questions as to whether it was or was not as you claim a "private" sale, ultimately that can only be decided by a court.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There has been a lot of speculation and unqualified "advice" given on this topic, with a reply by the persons concerned with the van in person.
It serves no useful purpose to continue debating the problem on an open forum and the current owner should take his concerns to a professional if he wants to pursue this further .

This topic is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts