creaking alko or caravan

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
i have a problem when towing my caravan , i hear creaking noises from my caravan , someone said it could be my alko as anyone else had this problem and know how to solve it thanks

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
If you have an alko stabiliser then the noise is probably coming from that. Make sure your towball is frees from rust and dirt, a rub with wire wool, emery paper or such should do it. Same with the pads inside the hitch head. Some people recommend giving them both a clean with white spirits or brake cleaner afterwards. I have tried using white spirits twice but both times made the stabiliser even louder, emery pad had to come back out!

You will find some info on this on Alko's website.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It definitely sounds like contaminated linings in your Alko hitch stabiliser. I thing white spirit would make things worse as it leaves an oily residue. I find methylated spirits does the trick, for the pads and the ball. If your pads are badly contaminated you may have to replace them. I once had a caravan dealer move my caravan with a towing vehicle fitted with a ball coated liberally with grease! He didn't know that your are not supposed to do this when an Alko stabiliser hitch is fitted. Hence my brand new caravan was delivered with a knackered set of pads.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did mine on Sunday

You need to remove the pads and rub them with emery as advised by Alko

It takes some shifting and looks at first as though the pad is breaking up as its coated with a glaze cause mainly by diesel fumes

Brake cleaner is good for finishing off but won't touch the glaze

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts