creaking floor

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
We have a one year old Bailey caravan. The floor over the axle area creaks whenever you walk on it but it feels firm and not at all spongy. Could it be that the floor is in two separate parts with a tongue and groove joint like chipboard flooring in a house, which also seems to make the same noise?

I have looked underneath the van and can see nothing untoward and the flooring beneath the vinyl covering inside seems smooth.

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi

It could be as simple as a screw holding down a cabinet is not fully tightened or the heater intake rubbing against the apperture side.

anoying yes but not too serious.

Good luck

Jun 3, 2007
Visit site
Hi Cathrine

I have a two year old pageant with the same squeak i spoke to the service centre at my local dealer and he said it is a bolt (17mm or 19mm head)which bolts the floor to the axle underneath the van just give it a *** up or take it to your dealer I have not tried the fix as yet

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi Cathrine

I have a two year old pageant with the same squeak i spoke to the service centre at my local dealer and he said it is a bolt (17mm or 19mm head)which bolts the floor to the axle underneath the van just give it a *** up or take it to your dealer I have not tried the fix as yet
Thanks John

I think that's what it sounds like. Next time I'm up at the van I'll tighten the bolt or if its inaccessible get my dealer to do it at some time.

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I have a one year old Bailey Senator Arizona and have exactly the same very annoying creaking floor when you walk over the axle area. Could you be more specific about where this screw is that needs tightening please. Other than this problem the van is superb

Alan

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
The bolt is at the centre of the axle underneath the caravan. There is only one bolt there so it should be clear. You can slide under the van OK on your back if you are reasonably slim - make sure the corner stadies are down first tho!

May 10, 2007
Visit site
The bolt is at the centre of the axle underneath the caravan. There is only one bolt there so it should be clear. You can slide under the van OK on your back if you are reasonably slim - make sure the corner stadies are down first tho!
Thank you for that. I have the day off tomorrow so I will get underneath and have a look. I will let you know if it cures the noise

May 10, 2007
Visit site
Thank you for that I have tightend the bolt up by about one turn and the floor is now creak free. I am also quite proud as at fifteen stone I managed to get under the van so I now consider myself slim, although the wife doesnt agree. Thanks again.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi folks

been away for 3 nights and the creaking noise seemed to happen no matter where we walked in our bailey pageant. Tightened the bolt this evening as you said but still worried, does it need to be done regularly, is it normal for a bolt under the axle to LOOSEN??. We live in ireland bought the van in england and it is due a warranty service in 2 months time, should we bring the date forward?

We were so pleased and relieved to see other people have same creak!

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
It does not say a lot for build quality or even more for dealer PDI.The bolt refered to hold the van to the chassis it should at least be a nylon locking nut.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if there is some undue worry here. The bolt does not hold the body to the chassis. There are lots of bolts all round the edge of the floor underneath which hold the thing together. The one that caused the problem for me was the one at the centre of the floor which will always get a lot of 'bounce'. Inevitably, if the bolt was not tight enough to start with it will become loose with movement over the middle of the floor. The only negative effect is the sound of the floor over the axle - it will not actually cause the floor to come loose. If it happens again to me it's about 1 minute's work to put it right again.

If your floor still squeaks/creaks after you hasve tightened the bolt referred to, particularly if the floor seems at all spongy, then I suggest you see your dealer as it may be suffering from delaminationj.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts