Creaking noise from tow bar/ball

Feb 25, 2007
Visit site
I've just come back from a weeks break in West Wales. My concern is the noise that seems to come from the rear. It sounds like someone walking over loose floor boards - the creaking is really noticeable!! The owner of the caravan site reckoned it is the al-ko stabiliser on the caravan (2006 Abbey Adventura 325). I would agree that it seems to come from the caravan and not the car, as my previous car was doing the same recently, until I sold it.

The caravan is just over a year old and has had its annual service. Am I correct in saying that no grease should be applied to the tow bar ball on the car, as this will affect the operation of the stabiliser??

The car I tow with is a Citroen C5 2.2 HDi

Kind regards

Nick

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You need to clean the inside of the hitch with a brake cleaning spray. Then clean the tow ball with the same stuff every time you hitch up, as the ball gets covered in a fine coat of diesel from the exhaust.

Steve W

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
you are correct in what you say nick, do not grease the alko hitch and ball, it will cause problems with the stabilizer, i think it is 100% what the other guy mentions ,clean your ball and hitch

glen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welsh,

I think your key statement was that you've just had the van serviced. Both my father and I had our vans serviced in June, then spent July driving round France thinking the tow bar was about to come off - the creaks were that bad. We were both of the view that the noise wasn't there B4 the service. I think they must grease the hitch head, which contributes to the noise. I gave the stabiliser head a quick clean out with a cloth soaked in brake and clutch cleaner, which helped no end.

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would also recomend cleaning the inside of the hitch and the ball with brake cleaner but not just before you hitch up. I used to have the problem of a creaking Alko hitch (so loud I used to get strange looks when moving off site). I then noticed that if I didn't use brake cleaner immediately before hitching, the noise disappeared. I now use brake cleaner once or twice a season, the rest of the time just wipe with a cloth and I've had no problems. I do drive a petrol though and I do appreciate that it might need more regular cleaning with a diesel.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
AL-KO approve two solvent cleaners for the tow-ball and inside the tow-coupling:

1. White spirit - a light petroleum solvent

2. Brake cleaner - a 50:50 mix of alcohol (usually iso-propanol but could be ethanol) and heptane (a light petroleum solvent)

In the winter I'd use brake cleaner or just straight alcohol, in the summer I'd use white spirit - for a similar reason to the propane / butane question - white spirit in hot weather has a chance of staying around long enough to actually dissolve the crud.

Robert

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I have had the same problem with the alko hitch. I now give the tow hitch a light rub with very fine sand paper then clean it with thinners on a rag. The thinners evaporates leaving no sign of any residue on the ball. I also give the friction pads a light sanding now and again as they can become glassed and also clean them with the thinners.

No problem with creaking towhitch anymore.

Hope this helps

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts