Creaky towing

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Our caravan has started to make the most horrendous creaking sounds, but only when the van is being towed around bends, slowly, roundabouts, anywhere really where onlookers have a wonderful view and will stand and stare. When we are on the main straight roads ior motorways there is no noise. We have an alko stabiliser and have not greased the tow ball. Any advice

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Make sure your towball and hitch including the alko stabiliser pads are clean. Give them a rub with smooth emery paper then a clean with brake cleaner and hopefully noise will disappear.

Robert

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
we have the same problem, when it was last in for service another i was told another cause was the body rubbing against the chassis, they tried tightening the clamp bolts but its no better. has anyone else heard of this?

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Make sure your towball and hitch including the alko stabiliser pads are clean. Give them a rub with smooth emery paper then a clean with brake cleaner and hopefully noise will disappear.

Robert
Hi thanks for the reply will try your advice and hopefully this will solve our dilemma and I can tear the paper bag I now have installed in my handbag for these embarassing interludes. Cheers Karen, aka red faced camper!

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your possible solution, we shall try this and maybe I can tear up the brown paper bag I have stashed in my handbag ready for the embarassing moments. Watch this space Karen!!!!

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Karen

The creak is almost certainly the stabiliser - I know the problem well !

As Rob says, clean the ball and pads carefully. HOWEVER, I do this religiously before every tow but still get the groaning / squeaking starting after only a few miles. I use fine emery cloth and brake cleaner as recommended and have also used 3M Scotchbrite abrasive pad. Nothing seems to work for more than a few miles. I've even fitted a new Alko towball. Alko claim in the caravan handbook that the pads in the stabiliser should be good for (from memory) 30,000 miles. Mine has only done 7,000 and have never been grease contaminated although I was on the verge of greasing the ball, out of desparation, when touring in France.

I have emailed Alko about the problem but had no reply. Perhaps they may like to respond through this forum. Has anyone else any suggestions ?

John M

MAM

Aug 16, 2006
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem in Devon last month. In desperation I took to lifting the stabiliser arm for the slow twisty bits.

I prepared myself for a visit to my dealer when I returned but - on the return journey - nothing, no noise, no grinding and having driven to Dover yesterday, still no noise. All I did was poke around the stabiliser pads making sure that nothing was lose.

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem in Devon last month. In desperation I took to lifting the stabiliser arm for the slow twisty bits.

I prepared myself for a visit to my dealer when I returned but - on the return journey - nothing, no noise, no grinding and having driven to Dover yesterday, still no noise. All I did was poke around the stabiliser pads making sure that nothing was lose.
hello all

a bit late replying but there are 4 pads in a stabilizer the normal round ones and some front and back you will need a star type socket to take them out and they can be a bit fiddly try those im quite certain it will alleviate the problem

TRENDING THREADS