CRIS offer

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think like all deterrents some thieves will be put off and others ignore it. It will reduce the chances of a theft and increase the chance of recovery, but by what percentage it is impossible to say.
For the cost it is probably worthwhile, but everybody has to decide for them selves if they think it has any value.

Not sure what has happened with this thread as the dates of the posts seem to vary widely, so the offer may not be current.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I used to fit datatag to plant machinery and farm equipment and that had a part of it that was the same as the chip part of cris it was marketed mainly as being of use for the police to identify stolen equipment and for the deterrent value, neither of these were measurable but I’m sure there would be some benefit, I’ve got the Alko wheel lock and hitch lock and if I’m honest it’s all insured and if it gets nicked I don’t want it back, if some scroat had been sleeping in it it would never feel the same.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps this is just another way CRIS are trying to generate money during this crisis. I wonder how many people who have bought caravans recently and are first timers are even aware of CRIS?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps this is just another way CRIS are trying to generate money during this crisis. I wonder how many people who have bought caravans recently and are first timers are even aware of CRIS?
One of our caravans was 5 years old and was not registered so wonder if this is true. It was registered when we became the owners as know the value of this for insurance purposes etc

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My caravan is a 2018 bailey, the cris paperwork stated the chip was fitted but when I transferred the cris certificate to me I was told it wasn’t fitted and I had to buy it, I said I wouldn’t bother thanks and they pushed for me to have it, they couldn’t understand when I said I wouldn’t want it back any way.

BP

Feb 6, 2021
Visit site
You have to wonder why someone doesn't just market a label to stick on a window or two!

I have, on my last two vans, fitted a red LED in the door. It is between the outer and inner plastic window sides and blinks. Very visible at night but anyone approaching the door during the day would see it too.

It looks similar to the blinking alarm warning seen on cars.

Blinks and nothing more. Works from 2 AA rechargeable batteries that last months. Simply a deterrent. Peace of mind for around £5 if I remember correctly.
I was looking at these last week on eBay was thinking of doing the same.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the link I provided earlier it said 6 meters and from a passing car. (Not sure if I believe that though).

But essentially you are correct, it is an identifier, and possibly a deterrent if a potential thief did not want the hassle.

John
6m is reasonable, after all if it were more like just 1meter then the officer with the reader would have to search the whole caravan to get the chip to respond.

I don't know what gear the officer would have, However if for example if the kit was reasonably "smart" perhaps it can be programmed with the Cris ID's of all known caravans of interest, and it might alert if detects an ID that matches one the list as the officer's vehicle passes.

But I suspect its more likely to be relatively dumb, and it will only be used when a caravan is seen by an officer and for some reason their suspicions are raised.

When I refer to an officer it would be someone who is authorised to make such enquires and not necessarily a police officer.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My guess would be dumb. Probably a generic reader for all RFID's and from there on a database search using Cris in this case.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts