Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
I've just bought a caravan to refurb from a breakers, it has had all the interior removed.

It has got a CRiS number on the windows.

Can I get a CRiS check done on it, I don't have any paperwork, the breaker didn't have any.

What do I need for the check and will i be able to get paperwork in my name if all is OK?

I don't want to start spending loads of money on it and it end up being a stolen one or something.

Jim

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To get it recertificated it will need to be inspected by an Approved Workshop.

Also if everything inside has been removed, such as gas fittings and appliances, and electrical fittings and wiring, it will need to be tested and new certificates issued for each.

You will be responsible for the cost of each and every inspection and certificate issue, which will be a quite significant cost overall.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
@Damian,

I'm not particularly interested in "certificates" for the electrics and gas (I'm an Electronic Engineer and also served a full Electrical Engineering apprenticeship).

The focus of my attention is to get some official paperwork to satisfy me that the van isn't stolen or something and get's repossessed after I have spent money on it.

Jim

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim, you asked what CRIS would want to issue new documents, I have told you what they want.

The fact that you are not "interested" in certificates for gas and electrics has no relevance here, CRIS WILL want them before they will consider issuing documentation, along with a full report from an Approved Workshop.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi Damian,

Sorry I misunderstood you.

I didn't know that CRiS would only do the check on the condition that I had the certs.

So does that mean that I have to have all the work done BEFORE I can even have the check done?

It seems ludicrous to me if that is the case.

Jim

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim, yes, CRiS will want proof of valid certificates, as will the Approved Workshop who inspect the van.

They are only interested in the finished article, ready for the road, all systems fully functional and installed to the current regulations.

For example, if the van previously had a cylinder mounted regulator, that would have to be changed to a fixed bulkhead regulator, as it is now a new installation.

Pipe sizing would also have to meet current regulations, and the electrics would have to meet current regs.

CRiS have to work on the assumption that the van may be sold on, and as such they MUST ensure its safety and that of the owner.

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
I've just looked at the Cris site - as far as I can see there's no mention there of any mechanical certificates being required - it appears to deal entirely with the identification of a particular 'van and any chain of ownership, outstanding finance,etc, the same as an HPI check which is part of the same organisation.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
I've just phoned CRiS and they did a check over the phone. They confirmed the caravan details and will send a copy of the "report" in the post.

Maybe they only want copies of the certificates when they update the details or something.

Jim

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having been asked by CRiS to inspect caravans on their behalf, some of which were damaged and repaired, some of which were, as Jims, insurance write offs for other reasons, I can assure you that they will want a full, and provable, report and current certificates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts