Croatia routes

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
We are planning a five week trip to Croatia leaving on 28 August. We are using Eurotunnel for our crossing.
I have done a ViaMichelin route from Calais which takes us through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Slovenia ending at Omis, Croatia. A total travelling time of 17h 27mins. Has anyone travelled this route or knows of a better one? We would like to come back by a different route so again any suggestions would be very helpful. Most of our European travel to date has been through France, Spain and Italy with a short trip into Netherlands and Switzerland so this trip will be all new to us.
I would also like some suggestions for sites for stopvers en route. Sites that are fairly close to the motorway. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
If you put Croatia in the Search Box at the top right hand of the page you will find previous discussions on Croatia and routes to which I have added. We went in 2005 via a roundabout route of Prague, Vienna and returned via Salzburg. As that was 7 years ago things may have changed, I think the roads in Croatia have improved/increased. However I did add some words regards conditions in Croatia. Its a good place to go, amazing scenary.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
The route you have ViaMichelin is the route we always follow down to Southern Austria. You can follow our latest trips that way on my website in my signature below. Most sites you will find are ACSI Camping Card sites. Our only difference for us is we tour down stopping 2 or 3 nights at a time. If you go to Archies Camping POIs if you look at Val A's post just a few days ago in this Forum you will see a link. A good link on here is Sites near to M'ways.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for the useful information. We will be stopping for two or three nights on the way down but we are not sure where yet.
We have never used the ACSI Camping Card. As we were both working all of our European travel was done in the high season. When we retired in 2010 we were able to travel at off peak times and we used Camping Cheques for the first time. Is the ACSI Camping Card the same as Camping Cheques i.e. you have to buy cheques to load onto the card or is it that you just show the card on arrival at the site and they will give you a discount? Do some sites accept Camping Cheques and others the ACSI Camping Card or do they accept both? I don't want to buy lots of Camping Cheques if the majority of sites take ACSI Camping Card and that will be a cheaper option. Sorry to sound a bit dim but this aspect is new to us. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
If I go wrong now I will be corrected by many in minutes.
Basically you go to campingcard.com and buy their book of european sites, £12.50 this year. For this you will receive a 2 volumes of sites in europe (or I think you can get a DVD) which are members of the ACSI. With the book is a membership card valid for one year. That is all you have to spend out up front. Then you just turn up (or book) your selected site. The sites charge one of three prices, e.g 12; 14 or 16 euros when you stay on the site, low season validity only. Its that simple and you will say significant amounts of beer tokens over a few weeks. The sites are normal sites that the Clubs may book for you at higher prices. As I say just pay for the book/membership and you'll get your money back in 2/3 nights. Enjoy

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
You won't regret getting the ACSI Camping Card no paying out for cheques up front that you probable will not use, They have 3 x as many sites to choose from . A word of warning get yours ordered straight away as they sell out of the English copy pretty early each year. I do have the DVD for planning the route etc and it is excellent but not wholly necessary. It will last you 2/3 years or more if you do buy it. The books and card is renewed each year and can be got by subscription direct from ACSI in Holland for 9.50 Euro's just go to ACSI at www.campingcard.com
There is a page on ACSI on my website if you care to read it. Anymore help just let me know.
DianneT

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again for the useful information. I immediately ordered the ACSI camping card when I saw your last post. It should be here next week so I can then get down to some serious planning. Can't wait for the trip but hopefully there will be quite a few breaks with the caravan before then.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Marilou, the coast road in Croatia is not ideal if you have a caravan on the back as it is narrow with rock faces right up to the edge of the road. There are hundreds of bends in the section Rijeka to Split and you might be better taking the motorway that runs inland down as far as Split and then take the coast road to Omis. Don't even think about taking a caravan through Split itself as the roadsigns are confusing to say the least. If I am heading to the south of Croatia I normally cross Austria to Graz and then cut through Solvenia via Maribor to Krapina in Croatia and then to Zagreb and Karlovac and the motorway to Split. Omis can be a bit crowded in the summer as it is hemmed in by the sea and the mountains, however it is handy for day trips up and down the coast and inland. If you go walk about check the mine maps first as there are areas of Croatia where the mines have still not been cleared but they are mostly away from the tourist areas. I can only recall of one tourist getting killed by a mine and that was on the island of Vis and they were in an area they should not have been in. Shout if you want any more info as I know Croatia pretty well having visited about 20 times! Don't forget you will need Vignettes in Austria and Slovenia and the motorways in Croatia are toll roads.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Graham, thanks for all that info. Bit scary about the mines but we are not likely to go to any of those out of bound areas!! We are thinking of Omis because of its central location. It wil be easy for us to venture out in all directions. What sites have you stayed on so far?

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been going to Croatia for a number of years. My route is Dunkerque, Namur, Luxembourg,Saarlouis.Munchen, Saltzburg, Lake Bled and then Rovinj in Croatia. All the coast towns are great so no need to drive the extra miles down south, stay in Istria! Route home is Croatia, Lake Garda, Milan, through Switzerland to Basil, Mullhouse, Nancy, Metz and then back through Luxembourg to Dunkerque.

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dave G
Thank you for the info. Can you let me know the names of the sites that you used as stopovers en route whether just for the night or longer. That would be very helpful.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Marilou, I have never taken my caravan to Croatia as I can normally manage to get very cheap accommodation there (friends in a few parts of the country). A combination of Red Bull and good roads means I can normally get to Zagreb area in the car about 12 hours after leaving the Hook of Holland and a good nights sleep on the ferry. I probably know the Dubrovnik County area better than gthe Split region but you should still find plenty to do and the gorges at the back of Omis are well known for the rafting etc. You can see the mine map for Split area here http://www.hcr.hr/en/minskaSituacijaKarta.asp?ID=8

If you decide to drive down to Dubrovnik you will have to pass through a section of Bosnia at Neum so check your insurance covers you although it can be by passed by taking the ferry from Ploce to the Peljsac and driving through Ston (lovely place).

Contact Croatian National Tourist Office for details of Omis (pronounced Omish) area

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Marilou
My wife and I visited Slovenia and Crotia in Summer 2010.
I thought you might like to read my "Croatia and Slovenia Journal" which has just gone live in the Caravan Talk Forum's Holidays section.
It gives details of the routes we followed, the sites we visited and the sights we saw on our 5 week holiday in Summer 2010. The 5 sections are illustrated with my photos.
http://www.caravanta...journals/europe

If you'd like to see more of my photos from this trip you can see these at:

https://www.dropbox....ovenia?h=84df2e
Please post again if you have any specific queries I can help with.
Regards
Tim

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a complet itinery for the trip, with campsites, cost, miles traveled, phone numbers etc.
I just need to know how to add it to this comment as an attachment,it is for to long to retype!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Big Tim
I have read all your journals. They are very informative and helpful. The photos are lovely. Thanks for your help. Marilou

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dave G
I hope you find a way to attach your itinerary etc. It will be interesting to see how it differs from Big Tim's. Marilou

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Graham
My system wouldn't let me access the mines map. I will see what information I can obtain from the Croatian Tourist Office. Thanks for your help. Marilou

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
I've just realised that there is a problem with seeing all my photos in my Dropbox files so I have revised them - use the new links to view ALL the photos:
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/63718686/1/Bled?h=362b33
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/63718686/1/Bohinj?h=2017bd
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/63718686/1/Cmpg%20Chateau%20Gandspette?h=b1085a
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/63718686/1/Cmpg%20Galeb?h=51a0a0
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/63718686/1/Imotski?h=71cfce
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/63718686/1/Omis?h=900c99
I hope these work - I'm a newby on Dropbox.
Tim

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Dave G said:
I have a complet itinery for the trip, with campsites, cost, miles traveled, phone numbers etc.
I just need to know how to add it to this comment as an attachment,it is for to long to retype!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Dave, I hope someone comes forward with the relevant instructions for you to post your attachment as I'm going to Croatia in June and I'm sure I would find your information useful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts