croatia

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Herself wants to go to Dubrovnic for our "posh" hotel holiday next year, but I want to wait till 2014 (when there'll be more money available) and take the van. Has anyone done it?
We'd take three months or so, travelling through Germany, Austria, Slovenia into Croatia, taking a month or so, then a couple or three weeks there, then back up to Austria, turn left, and come back up through France.
I'd be pleased to here from anyone re sites, road conditions etc.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I towed my van to Croatia in June this year using the route you suggest, although not as far south as you are going. It's a superb country; great weather, friendly people and cheap compared to everywhere else I've been in europe. However, they are looking to join the EU next summer so I expect the change to the Euro will push the prices up! As far as the roads are concerned I used auto routes to get there due to time constraints which if course means vignettes for Austria and Slovenia but the route through Slovenia was almost deserted allowing me to make good time. The Croatian auto routes are toll roads but you may wish to consider the new one to the south as the only real alternative is the coast road which gets almost gridlocked in the summer.
smiley-cool.gif

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Chrisbee, that's just the sort of info I wanted. The trip is a long way off yet, but Herself wants to hotel in Dubrovnic in March next year, so I've got to come up with a convincing plan!

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Emmerson
We did the Croatia trip in August 2010. You can read of our experience in my 4 part Joliday Journal here:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/caravan-holidays/journals/europe/croatia-and-slovenia-part-1
You can see additional photos of our trip here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xw9oyl1b2yn3fy5/KWFtH8lbJQ
My only negative comments would be that it was a long way (3303 miles home to home) and Croatia was very hot.
Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts