Cruise control - Good or bad?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A lot of my towing journeys are southbound on the M5, and quite often I find that the CC can be more of a hindrance than a help.
The volume of traffic around urban areas from Gloucester down as far as Junction 25 Taunton means that I have to constantly disengage the CC, so that when I press the re-engage button the acceleration surge back to the preset speed (usually 58mph on the sat nav) wastes fuel.
It's usually easier to leave the CC off.
In the event of a health emergency affecting me whilst towing, Herself wouldn't have a clue because she's never driven any vehicle.
If I wasn't able to act and our car sped along out of control at least we'd both go together. 😳

The acceleration surge varies from car to car. I have had some which need peddle help and others a bit too severe. Current car is a little severe but not too bad.

I don’t know if dealers can make programming adjustments.

John

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The acceleration surge varies from car to car. I have had some which need peddle help and others a bit too severe. Current car is a little severe but not too bad.

I don’t know if dealers can make programming adjustments.

John
When I'm not towing the surge isn't too much of a problem, but with just over 1½ tonnes of wobblebox on the back and an automatic gearbox, the car can become a bit of a monster, bearing down like an express locomotive on some hapless soul cruising in his Aygo in the middle lane when I re-engage the CC.
It's too easy to reach a situation where I'm pressing the CC re-engage button and then dabbling the brake pedal which can waste fuel.
A nice smooth journey is what I aim for, and the CC comes more into play until Exeter and again down the A30 if I'm going that far.

Reactions: PTA

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Slight diversion from original question but forgive me.
I find the opportunities to use CC effectively in the UK are incredibly limited due to traffic density. However, driving in much of Europe is a lot less crowded/dense, particularly on their motorways- with the exceptions of Germany and Holland. It can be a real boon.
Warning-Herewith diversion...
One feature I wish my car had, particularly when abroad, is automatic headlight main beam/ dipping function. I travelled in a friend's Mercedes with the feature and was hugely impressed......and envious.

Reactions: Parksy
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
One feature I wish my car had, particularly when abroad, is automatic headlight main beam/ dipping function. I travelled in a friend's Mercedes with the feature and was hugely impressed......and envious.

Darn it! Wish I had not read that. Reminds me......................!

I have automatic headlamp dipping but so far have never engaged it. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure I trust it but also I must read the manual to find out how to switch the thing on!

I don't often drive much at night either, except for local journeys.

As for the cruise control I use it abroad a lot and here in the UK very little even though it is adaptive and will not only match speed at a distance I decide but come to a standstill and start again.

The jury is out regarding extra fuel consumption. I've a feeling that trying to maintain a set speed on a hilly bit of road is costly and without it I'd allow a small speed reduction. Don't know if others feel this way?

Reactions: otherclive

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
The auto dipping is brilliant, particularly on motorways here and abroad. You know those moments on unlit motorways when traffic is sporadic and the central barrier armco sometimes blocks the lights of traffic heading towards you and then sometimes it doesn't? The system makes the main beam decisions for you and stops you having to constantly dip, then main, then dip etc.
My brief experience of it in action suggests it really is "intelligent."

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When I'm not towing the surge isn't too much of a problem, but with just over 1½ tonnes of wobblebox on the back and an automatic gearbox, the car can become a bit of a monster, bearing down like an express locomotive on some hapless soul cruising in his Aygo in the middle lane when I re-engage the CC.
It's too easy to reach a situation where I'm pressing the CC re-engage button and then dabbling the brake pedal which can waste fuel.
A nice smooth journey is what I aim for, and the CC comes more into play until Exeter and again down the A30 if I'm going that far.

Shows how each car is different. Mine resumes speed with the van on, quite gradually. Might be due to being limited to 136hp.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On my 2014 Santa Fe the CC works great with or without the van on the back,,when on motorways you can notice the difference between cars using the CC on hilly sections, I overtake some then 4 minutes later they pass us, then 5 minutes later we pass them again. We are maintaing our speed they are going up and down with their speed.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
With the caravan on I'm limited to 60mph.
There's not much point in me overtaking another vehicle if I'm only doing about 5mph faster than they are, the overtake could take quite a while and as already stated, they would pass me again further down the motorway.
I don't feel compelled to maintain 58-60 mph at all costs, I drive according to the road conditions and the traffic around me.
We're both retired so there's no rush.
With the caravan hooked up we're on holiday so there's no great hurry, or we're on our way back to everyday life at home so there's no hurry, it will all still be there if our journey takes half an hour longer.
As has often been said on this forum, each to their own.
I use CC if it will make my motorway drive more relaxing, but from our locality this isn't always the case.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
This is why i travel down at night. Story book playing through the radio and CC on. Little traffic and an easy drive. Madam fast asleep. Bliss.😉

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This is why i travel down at night. Story book playing through the radio and CC on. Little traffic and an easy drive. Madam fast asleep. Bliss.😉
Not overkeen in travelling 50 miles over night just to have to wait 6 hours in a caravan holding area to get in at 12.00am.
But I know what you mean.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Slight diversion from original question but forgive me.
I find the opportunities to use CC effectively in the UK are incredibly limited due to traffic density.

That's a function of driving during peak periods, probably through necessity - I'm fortunate that I'm not tied by work timetables and use CC most of the time, adjusting the setting to match changes in speed limit.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For myself I have chosen cruise control to enable me to have a further range when travelling with the caravan. There maybe negatives for some people but when this gives you more options it can only have a positive effect to increase choices you can make when travelling.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I use cruise control nearly all the time, mainly keeping to 30mph and when towing 58mph and with DSG. This I find takes any stress from driving. As for passing out , hope it never happens

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On my 2014 Santa Fe the CC works great with or without the van on the back,,when on motorways you can notice the difference between cars using the CC on hilly sections, I overtake some then 4 minutes later they pass us, then 5 minutes later we pass them again. We are maintaing our speed they are going up and down with their speed.

I will sometimes ease off when going uphill and then increase when back on the level. Some may say its more economical, but with my car economy isn't a key USP! But why is maintaining a steady speed over hill and dale important?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I just remembered that some cars like ours has the electronic braking when using the cruise control. If we come up behind a vehicle doing less than 58mph, the car will automatically brake so I guess that is a good thing however once obstacle is removed it will speed up again. I think it disengages if the speed falls below 25mph.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I just remembered that some cars like ours has the electronic braking when using the cruise control. If we come up behind a vehicle doing less than 58mph, the car will automatically brake so I guess that is a good thing however once obstacle is removed it will speed up again. I think it disengages if the speed falls below 25mph.
Mine heads straight on like a cruise missile, but a quick dab on the brake pedal will disengage the cruise control. 😜
The buttons on the steering wheel will disengage and re-engage the cruise control at the speed previously set.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Not overkeen in travelling 50 miles over night just to have to wait 6 hours in a caravan holding area to get in at 12.00am.
But I know what you mean.

Hutch, I never travel 50 miles with the caravan, if feels like Im still at home. More like 300 miles. The thing is I spent a lot of my life night trunking, its something that becomes part of you and is completely natural. When near the destination, Ill pull over, wifey will get a wet on and Thingy catches an hours hours kip, and we are ready to go again. There is nothing worse to start a holiday than sitting surrounded in a jam by fumes, moving three feet and stopping for 5 minutes, then repeating the exercise a thousand times.

More often than not, you will get to the front of the queue, only to find an empty road and the queue has been caused by nothing more than bad driving. It is normally somebody tailgating and having to stand hard on the brakes, creating that ripple effect backwards until every other poor soul is brought to s standstill. I have a very acerbic view of my fellow drivers.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I use cruise control nearly all the time, mainly keeping to 30mph and when towing 58mph and with DSG. This I find takes any stress from driving. As for passing out , hope it never happens
is it more economical in cruise control when you are towing 58 mpg with a DSG might try it on way home

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We are both avid CC users. Speed can be increased / decreased by hand in 1mph increments. Long distance observation rather than short or middle range helps considerable as the thumb does the job😜. Works very well on the auto rather than manual box.
Buckman‘s question still remains unanswered😥.Unusual on here🤔🤔.
A little research on the net reveals no similar question!
I intend doing two tests .
Pressing the handbrake buttons including auto hold and pressing the master start stop button.
All the suggestions on line and here do not address Buckman’s scenario nor does my VW handbook.
I also checked ROSPA, and. IAM . Nothing😥😥

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I will sometimes ease off when going uphill and then increase when back on the level. Some may say its more economical, but with my car economy isn't a key USP! But why is maintaining a steady speed over hill and dale important?

Your right, it’s not important. But, like Hutch, I use CC all the time and it soon becomes evident that others are varying their speed, as is their right. But it’s also clear that many do it without any thought or observation of others on the road. So I can be traveling at a constant speed, someone will come up close behind me. Eventually they will overtake, which is absolutely fine. But then they slow to a lower speed than they were going when they were right behind.

Or

When traveling slightly faster than those in front, so I overtake. All at a constant speed set on the CC. Why oh why, do they speed up just as I get alongside. Often looking across at them they are completely oblivious to others on the road. And very likely in the middle lane with an empty near side lane.

I can imagine such actions drive lorry drivers a bit mad.

To be clear, I am not moaning about people varying their speed, just those who are oblivious to what is happening around them. The use of CC emphasises this.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Why oh why, do they speed up just as I get alongside.

Its because they arent concentrating and are wavering into that dangerous lull, and seeing you creeping up on them wakes them up, and then the moron corner of the mind says I must speed up too. They dont give any thought for the problems they cause. We used to get that with HGVs. As you know, nowadays we have limiters that cant be beaten (there was a way once ;)) and they would overtake us, pull in and then slow down to 1mph slower than us, and believe me its infuriating.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here’s an interesting view from a driving instructor in Canada on what can be done if the driver is unconscious.

https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/miscellaneous/qa-what-should-passenger-do

Also research by the University of Delft found that drivers switching into and out of CC had greater speed variations when in traffic than did those driving in manual or those that left it in adaptive CC. These greater speed variations had a knock on effect on adjacent traffic too.

Reactions: Thingy
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
My previous Land Rover Discovery 4 and current 2017 Discovery applying the handbrake and keeping it on cancels the cruise control and brings the car to a controlled and rapid stop. I'm not sure if that works if the driver is pressing the accelerator.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Your right, it’s not important. But, like Hutch, I use CC all the time and it soon becomes evident that others are varying their speed, as is their right. But it’s also clear that many do it without any thought or observation of others on the road. So I can be traveling at a constant speed, someone will come up close behind me. Eventually they will overtake, which is absolutely fine. But then they slow to a lower speed than they were going when they were right behind.

Or

When traveling slightly faster than those in front, so I overtake. All at a constant speed set on the CC. Why oh why, do they speed up just as I get alongside. Often looking across at them they are completely oblivious to others on the road. And very likely in the middle lane with an empty near side lane.

I can imagine such actions drive lorry drivers a bit mad.

To be clear, I am not moaning about people varying their speed, just those who are oblivious to what is happening around them. The use of CC emphasises this.

John
We live in the middle of the central motorway network which is almost always busy.
It's not worthwhile for me to engage CC until we're into the less busy areas because of the drivers who either cause hold ups or speed up as you overtake them.
I like the cruise control but a safe less stressful journey is my main aim.
Cruise control and busy roads don't mix.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts