Cub v Commercial

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just been booking some stays for later in the year, we like a Full Service Pitch with hardstanding, and having used CAMC site in the main, know what to expect,however we are now going to be going to less CAMC sites and more commercial sites, the reason , the cost. it seems the commercial sites often work out cheaper and with their websites offering virtual tours, plus the ability to reserve a chosen pitch I wonder whether CAMC will be losing custom. I know CAMC are offering discounts but when I checked none would apply to the dates or sites I was looking at,some of the commercial sites even offered a discount for CAMC members

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
A few years ago CAMC was our 1st choice. They've now priced themselves way above what we are looking for.
We stay for membership for access to the CL network and rallies.
Out of all the trips we've got booked for this year the most expensive site is £20 a night for serviced pitch and shop, bar, cafe on site.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't think I have used either of the main clubs sites for many years, because of locations, We like to walk,( Mrs H , now uses an E, Chariot) in the late afternoon to a pub for a few drinks and meet locals of the area who can talk about the area.
Most club sites are not in our criteria for this , so commercial sites are the ones to go to. Also normally for us the prices are cheaper, but the cl/cs sites are havens as well.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s well recorded that for the last five years we have focused on non CAMC sites. CLs with FSPs are on the increase . Many are located close to decent watering holes and tend to have fantastic views. Same for a number of commercial sites too. Beware however electricity maybe metered payg or pre purchase ehu card. Ukcampsites let you drill down and set your chosen parameters.
There is another growing option, not one I have tried yet, the FSP within the grounds of a local public house😋.
A number of Commercisl sites have also featured for us recently. I must emphasise we tend to use our own board facilities for everything do what the site has doesn’t matter

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We were CAMHC site stalwarts, we knew the quality would be good but with us being restricted to school holidays (wife is a Teaching Assistant) we’re finding site costs to be painful AND after over 25 years of almost CAMHC exclusivity we’ve done them to death. We’re now looking at more CL’s.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were CAMHC site stalwarts, we knew the quality would be good but with us being restricted to school holidays (wife is a Teaching Assistant) we’re finding site costs to be painful AND after over 25 years of almost CAMHC exclusivity we’ve done them to death. We’re now looking at more CL’s.
Our main reason for not using CAMC sites was cost and in some cases location. Many commercial sites offer FSP at a lower rate than CAMC and generally their pricing is easier to understand. Plus of course that they are in some cases in a much better and convenient location. Commercial sites for long holidays and CLS for ones shorter than a week.

Reactions: Dustydog and GaryB
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We do use club sites as we know what to expect and they suit s. We are not looking to save every penny and do some times look elsewhere though. The sites that are cheaper tend to be privately owned and although usually very good do have a cost base advantage particularly where family do lots of the work that the clubs have to pay for. Other multiple site operators have similar problems and the economics of running multiple sites do mean costs will be higher.
Location is often a reason for going with private sites as there are some places he clubs do not cover although not many.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Over the past week or two I have been receiving numerous emails from the CAMC regarding pitch availability and discounts. However the periods when the discounts are offered are not much use to us. It seems that the CAMC are getting desperate for bookings?

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
A few years ago CAMC was our 1st choice. They've now priced themselves way above what we are looking for.
We stay for membership for access to the CL network and rallies.
Out of all the trips we've got booked for this year the most expensive site is £20 a night for serviced pitch and shop, bar, cafe on site.
we cant even remember last time we used camh site for exactly the same reason cls reign in our house

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Over the past week or two I have been receiving numerous emails from the CAMC regarding pitch availability and discounts. However the periods when the discounts are offered are not much use to us. It seems that the CAMC are getting desperate for bookings?
How do you arrange to receive for all these emails?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems we are not alone then, may be the pendulum is starting to swing back in the consumers favour, once there are spaces on sites then the sites owners , both club and private , will need to look at the occupancy rates and the income generation levels, one of the problems I see with the Club discounts is that they are offered at the times the club notices that sites are quiet, whereas one of the 'rules' of marketing that I was taught many years ago, is to put the offers on when the customer is looking for them. It seems that caravan dealers are aslo starting to feel the pinch, I have read reports of large discounts on unsold 23 caravans, but of course the dealers reduce trade in values accordingly as well , a viscious circle for them unless a first time buyer. I will look out for site occupancy rate over Easter, Unless sites can operate at capacity needed to make a profit then they will be in trouble, either they reduce prices, which also reduces turnover and profitability, or they cut back elsewhere, having said that just had text from friend on Winchester Club Site and it is full tonight.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Apart from one place we use the CAMC sites. Don't use there affiliated sites though.
We have used a few affiliated sites when they have been where we want to go. I can see no reason not to if the location, facilities and price suits you. We have had a small discount at some.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm pretty certain that most family caravanners priority is location:, is the site near the places or has the facilities or they want? I suspect that pitch price is a secondary factor unless the price difference is large.

But for most couples different features will rise to the top of the wish list, and the club intention is to provide sites with some exclusivity for which users may be happier to pay a little over the odds.

Club membership means you do have a wider choice of sites becasue theoretically the club sites and not open to non members. But membership can also open some other benefits such as good insurance policies, breakdown schemes which are well tailored to caravanning. Some special offers to some places, newsletters, and events for like minded members.

Only you can decide if the additional benefits of membership are worth it to you,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You are correct in some aspects however our priority as pensioners is price and then location. Why pay £50 when a site a mile down the road charges £30?

Most club sites are open to the public and not exclusively to members. The latter seems to be in the minority.

To us membership for access to CLs and breakdown cover is the bonus. CAMC no longer offer insurance for caravans but do offer Caravan cover which is priced higher than most insurance companies taking into consideration that with the Caravan Cover there is an element that is not included i.e. tax.

Although we hardly ever use CAMC sites, we feel the membership is worth the +£50 annually.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Apart from one place we use the CAMC sites. Don't use there affiliated sites though.
🙀Surely you must have been to Grantown -On - Spey Caravan Park , a CAMC Affiliated park. Consistently one of the best even including plug in sky tv links. Haven’t been for about six years but assume it is still as good as ever.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Been to Grantown but not the camp site. I've just taken a look at it and it looks ok.

I think we got turned off of affiliated sites after staying on one which we didn't care for.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
🙀Surely you must have been to Grantown -On - Spey Caravan Park , a CAMC Affiliated park. Consistently one of the best even including plug in sky tv links. Haven’t been for about six years but assume it is still as good as ever.
We used Newtownmore just outside Kingussie and that is an affiliated site.. Not fancy but provides the basics to a good standard with clean modern facilities. But the USP as far as we were concerned was location for lovely walking without having to drive everyday.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We used Newtownmore just outside Kingussie and that is an affiliated site.. Not fancy but provides the basics to a good standard with clean modern facilities. But the USP as far as we were concerned was location for lovely walking without having to drive everyday.
Affiliated sites have to meet a number of CAMC criteria before being awarded the Affiliation accolade. They enjoy free advertising and hopefully good income riding on CAMCS back. They have to guarantee a standard no less than a cams own site

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You are correct in some aspects however our priority as pensioners is price and then location. Why pay £50 when a site a mile down the road charges £30?

Most club sites are open to the public and not exclusively to members. The latter seems to be in the minority.

To us membership for access to CLs and breakdown cover is the bonus. CAMC no longer offer insurance for caravans but do offer Caravan cover which is priced higher than most insurance companies taking into consideration that with the Caravan Cover there is an element that is not included i.e. tax.

Although we hardly ever use CAMC sites, we feel the membership is worth the +£50 annually.
In theory many club sites are open to the public, but in reality the additional non members charge makes them impossibly expensive. I have seen non members arrive and ask about a stay and what they get is a hard sell to join from the site staff who know people will not stay except in an emergency at the prices they have to charge.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Been to Grantown but not the camp site. I've just taken a look at it and it looks ok.

I think we got turned off of affiliated sites after staying on one which we didn't care for.
It's funny how one bad experience puts us off something, we are the same with Haven sites, we went to one in Norfolk several years ago and it was like we were staying on the set of Channel 4's "Shameless" and since then would never consider a Haven site!

• Haha

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It's funny how one bad experience puts us off something, we are the same with Haven sites, we went to one in Norfolk several years ago and it was like we were staying on the set of Channel 4's "Shameless" and since then would never consider a Haven site!
Caravanning equivalent of the Garcia Effect.
Mel

Reactions: GaryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts