Cupboard catches

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a problem in that the screws for our cupboard catches have pulled away from the panel they are on. They do not seem to have much of a hold at all. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can fasten them back?

They are fastened on the inside of the cupboards and are difficult to get at.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i think you are saying that the hole in the wood is now too large for the screws?

if so, snap a matchstick and put that in the hole and screw back in, with the matchstick to one side.

i have used this method for years on household doors and i'm sure it will work for a van as well...

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If I understand you correctly, the wood is no longer retaining the screws. If the screwholes are relatively small, plugging with wooden matchsticks is an option. Remove the screw and push one or more matchsticks into the hole until the hole is filled tight, cut the protruding matchstick ends flush with the cupboard surface and re-use the screw. Alternatively, and especially if the holes are a little too large for the matchstick method, you can plug the hole using hot-melt adhesive. Hold the nozzle of a hot-melt gun over the hole and inject the adhesive. Once it has cooled down and set, you can also re-use the screw.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan,

I had a similar problem with the under seat lockers,found that the wood screws were not long enough and the hole had been wasted.

What I did was buy slightly longer screws and repaired the holes with plastic wood.Once set the plastic wood will take a screw ok.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts