Cupboard door push button stuck

May 4, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can open a cupboard door push button which is stuck halfway in. I have tried pushing it in and out lots but it never comes fully out. I have also tried re-levelling my van, as suggested elsewhere.

My van is a 2019 Swift, if that helps.

ReverendJT

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
If your dealer is handy at least you have the warranty! Depending on the fit of the door can you spring it with a flexible credit card in the gap between door and frame, and presumably you can't reach the inside from an adjacent locker?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
ReverendJT said:
Hello,

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can open a cupboard door push button which is stuck halfway in. I have tried pushing it in and out lots but it never comes fully out. I have also tried re-levelling my van, as suggested elsewhere.

My van is a 2019 Swift, if that helps.

ReverendJT
We have a kitchen cupboard in our Abbey (made by Swift) and I suspect that the metal door catch release button is of a similar design.
Ours sometimes sticks in and I usually release it by pushing it further in but not fully fully home and sliding my thumb sideways to cause the button to spring out.
Sometimes two or three attempts are needed.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I have a button that sticks in over the sink , open the door and undo the two philips screws and the button normally pops out I then wipe the button lightly with WD and also the mechanism it normally sorts the problem short term but if the door is shut proper for travelling I just leave it at that,

May 4, 2019
Visit site
Thank you for all of your responses.

It's a cupboard on its own, so I don't have access from inside to unscrew it. There is also a big bit of 'decorative' MDF within about an inch of the edge of the door that sticks out about two inches so I don't think I can stick anything credit card sized down the gap. I will try to push it in a little and push it over.

The dealer is about 60 miles away, so not keen to visit for just a dodgy spring.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No,I meant you can unscrew the centre from the outside/front by using your finger and thumb to unscrew it a little and that does the trick ;) like I said,yours might not be like mine,take a photo and we'll reassess?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
As above........................ Push on the door then a good thump.
Then as WD40 appears not to work ....try silicone based lubricant spray.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WD 40 is about the very worst thing to use on caravan plastics as it causes the plastic to swell, making the situation worse.

It may be good for freeing rusted metal but that is not the case in hand.
I wish people would stop grabbing WD as a first resort and use appropriate lubricants for the job.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
camel said:
With my sticking knob I don't spray gallons of WD on it but very lightly smear a very minute smear of WD very gently ,

It really does not matter how "small" the amount is, it is the chemical makeup of WD40 that attacks the plastic, in the same way that it attacks multicore cable and rots it through.

WD40 is a water dispersant, not a lubricant.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch and Bill’s thump press has always worked for me. The shock of the thump and temporary relaxon the fixing usually makes it unfasten. Probably an item of clothing or whatever has got caught up.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have several different vibration inducers, from 6 Ounce, to a sledge hammer, one will work.
When does a rubber hammer turn into a Mallet. ?

TRENDING THREADS