CUT-UP, PUT-UP OR SHUT-UP...

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
I think you are confused Liz. if the driver uses the outside

lane and goes ALL the way round, he is on the roundabout

and has right of way, when he decides to turn off

Not a case of you letting him in, he has right of way...​

Not confused, I have seen it done, instead of waiting in queue

left hand lane to turn,left, got to the roundabout, all the way round then turned left, p.s I agree give way to the right, just cheeky, don't you think. Liz​

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
So Liz am i to assume that people who shout are bad drivers?

and those that don't are not?

because i usually assume that those who do not know who has right

of way, are far more dangerous whether they shout or are quiet.

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi Giovanni, Those who shout, might or might not be bad drivers, but drivers should stick to road markings, if wanting to turn left at a roundabout, do not use the outside lane, to turn left and don't cut other road users up.

P.S I was aware that you give way to the Right.

P.S What's a roundabout????

This strange thing you mention, hehehe

Regards Liz

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree that you should stick to the road markings,

although have noticed that for those not experience on some

roads, approaching a roundabout with 3 lanes does have its issues

as many times the markings are only in the last 30 metres,and

when vehicles que from 50 or 100 metres back,you only know you

are in the wrong lane when nearer the junction.. try changing

lane then with cars and lorries all around and no body willing

to let you move over.

I hope you get the point i am making....

Feb 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

I live in Milton keynes which is known as the city of roundabouts and most of the approach roads are dual carriageway with speed limit of 70mph. You should see some of the driving at rush hours ...everyone jockying to get over the roundabout then a race to get to the next one... believe you me it can be sheer hell at times the highway code does not come into it, accidents take place quite frequently... only thing i can say about it traffic keeps moving, but unfortunately this is a new city and houses are being built at a phenomenal rate, they reckon in a few years this city will be gridlocked .

We came here 35 years ago was nice and peaceful then, just getting too much now,we are looking for a house just outside get back to the tranquil life. .

Harry

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
I do, no hard feelings,

That's understandable,good driver would willing give way to those who have generally made a mistake, you can normally tell.

It's those who know the road and do it all the time, which is quite obvious down here, my boss does it.

P.S Someone mentioned Traffic Lights what are these things, what do they look like???

Regards Liz

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks, just got into work with a big smile on my face - and not just because of the weather! Glad to report that this morning, three boy racers cut us up on my commute and I had the enormous pleasure of braking, flashing, and letting the third one in!!

Even gotta thumbs up - couldn't stop smiling...he'll never know that he has a very therapeutic discussion on this Forum to thank for it!

It's beside the point that he's a dangerous, life-threatening, boy-racing plonker, I don't give a monkeys. I've started the week with a smile!!

(Ermm, hope I can keep this up...!!)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Alleluja.

Well done Collin. And remember quite often 2, 10 or 50 miles up the road you will still probably be with them or even in front of them.

A favourite moment for me was pulling up at

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Wooley Edge services on the M1 in my old V Class and after paying for my fuel a WRX Imprezza that had been hooning around on the M1 all the way from Bedford was just stopping at the pumps.

The lad driving it looked really worried when he saw me, I just walked towards him and smiled and said " that's a really fast car" and winked and got in my car/van.

He looked really deflated and had to smile, he'd seen me quite a few time along the M1 and I'd let him cut out from his races up the inside lanes.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
If you were to DELIBERATELY go up the outside of a queue of traffic and then push in to turn left I would consider that rude and I think the authorities might see it as a reason to delay your vehicle for a while.

However if a car goes all the way to the roundabout in the right hand lane, around the roundabout and then turns off at the exit you are queueing for and you attempt to block them, you are breaking the law because you are supposed to give way to the right and would now be obstructing the normal flow of traffic.

Bear in mind that in both of the above cases somebody may have just made a simple mistake.

Last weekend I did this and entered a roundabout thinking I needed to turn right, the earlier roundabout exit that I actually needed had 2 lanes that went into one within 100 or so feet and I was very grateful to the driver who let me in (towing van).

I am sure that there were drivers cursing me for pulling back in, but the better course of action might have been to go around the roundabout again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The A1/M18 junction, traveling North can be a problem. Turning right off the A1, using the slip road, often sees a long cue trailing back to the main carriageway of the A1. You should be in the right hand lane for turning right, but I would rather see drivers making use of the inside lane (usually quite empty) to turn right. Better that, than cue up in lane one of a duel carriageway.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Bracknell has traffic heading towards the M4 and if you do not use the second lane it snarls up the 1st roundabout at times by the leisure centre and you end up with accidents on the roundabout.

Safety comes first surely!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Safety always comes first. The roundabout I talk of, is dual carriageway all the way round and on the exit. No one has to change lanes in order to get round, so no one cuts in. Further more, the roads are not marked to indicate which lanes to use, for turning right, you will find that this is the case on some major roundabouts, leaving it up to the driver to decide. Markham Moor on the A1, has lanes one and two marked to turn right, for that very reason. Like I said, safety first, using both lanes on a slip road, is infinitely preferable to trailing back onto the main carriageway.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Safety always comes first. The roundabout I talk of, is dual carriageway all the way round and on the exit. No one has to change lanes in order to get round, so no one cuts in. Further more, the roads are not marked to indicate which lanes to use, for turning right, you will find that this is the case on some major roundabouts, leaving it up to the driver to decide. Markham Moor on the A1, has lanes one and two marked to turn right, for that very reason. Like I said, safety first, using both lanes on a slip road, is infinitely preferable to trailing back onto the main carriageway.
I'm with you lol.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Since I started this, can I just make a couple of points for clarification.

1) This is about deliberate chancers, who regularly race to the roundabout in the outside lane, indicate left and FORCE their way into the line, usually causing the cut up driver to brake. I would have no objection to them going all the way round the roundabout - quite legit...

2)You can always tell people, who have made a mistake, they indicate and wait for a kind driver to let them in - no forcing (and I have always happily obliged).

3) There is a BIG difference between filtering into queues and cutting in regardless (at speed).

FOOTNOTE: Today, in my new all-smiling, ever obliging mode, I allowed a guy to cut in to the queue - AND GOT FLASHED FROM BEHIND FOR DOING IT!! You can't win - but still smiling...!!

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Years ago there were roadworks on the motorway near us.

In order to get on to a dual carriageway which filtered off, cars had to join the queue in the left hand lane as the right hand lane of the dual carriageway was closed. Night after night drivers would deliberately skip the queue and cut in at the last minute, after a few weeks of this tempers were reaching boiling point.

Imagine my delight on joining the queue one night to find that it was moving quite well, not quickly, but not the usual stop start. I soon found out why. At the point where the dual carriageway filtered off and the queue jumpers cut in was a policeman. Whenever anyone came down the middle lane expecting to cut it, he shook his head at them and waved them on down the motorway.

The next junction is 5 miles further on - how I laughed - an extra 10 miles on to their journey, just because they consider themselves too important to queue.

The policeman was back every now and again and obviously word got round because the queue jumping problem reduced dramatically.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
We use the A21 a lot and and one point there is a filter lane in which many drivers instead of queing on the 21 go left to come out from the filter onto the 21 again.We adopt the attiude of letting one in at a time and this keeps the traffic moving ,by doing this you see many drivers doing the same for each other.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts