CVT AUTO TOWING

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am considering buying a CVT auto box car - are these any good for towing ? Have always towed with conventional auto box but seems more and more manufacturers are switching to cvt boxes.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of auto box ?

G

Was not aware of that. I always assumed that CVT boxes were in the smaller type of car, and therefore unlikely to be used as tow cars. Memories of DAF spring to mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes tow with a Scenic auto at present they have now changed to CVT which they say can tow to 1300 kg well within my weight - also the Nissan Quashqi is now using CVT - it looks like a lot of larger cars seem to be heading the CVT way.

G

Sorry, just old fashioned. The main issue with conventional auto boxes was the torque converter and the extra heat generated due to it changing up and down more often with antrailer on the back. Most manufactuers fitted coolers and provided you kept within the guidelines and checked the fluid regularly, there was never much of a problem. The CVT system uses an infinitely stepped system and at least in the old days, worled on belts, which could break. I am sure the modern systems are more technological, but I have no direct knowledge of them. I would suspect that provided you keep within the manufacturer's limits, then there should be no problem towing. As far as performance I suspect these will be similar to normal auto boxes in as such the fuel consumption will rise significantly due to the extra load.

Personally I like the torque converter system as it allows a 'creep' which is great in traffic jams. My own auto box also allows for the system to move to neutral if you are stationary for any length of time so stopping the generation of heat and wear, and reverts to 'drive' as soon as you release the brake.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Quashqai has quite a low tow capacity for such a vehicle as does the X-trail. 1350kg. I much prefer the conventional auto box which on Ford Mondeos, V70s, BMW and C5s are all torque convertor. With many of them having 6 speeds any mpg advantage of a CVT is realistically whittled away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings Steve,

I have towed with a CVT box for the past three years. I have a 2.5TDi Audi A6.

It did have a wobble (literally) at approaching 80,000 miles but it was discovered that the previous owner had changed the fluid to the box early. Exactly 40,000 miles after the change I experienced a judder on pickup from junctions.

As soon as I changed the fluid, the judder stopped and has not restarted (I have a reminder to change again in about 7,000 miles)

I have now done 50,000 miles+ and that has included 3-4 long towing holidays down to Spain.

Anyone who has been down there will confirm that their hills and valleys have to experienced to fully appreciate them.

All I can say is that in my experience I still have a stupid grin on my face when I get into the car and that isn't decreased just because I'm towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Haveing taking deliver of my Renault CVT I can say that it much much better than the conventional auto smoother no jerking between gears - will let u know towing wise how I get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts