Cycle carrier

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a pendle cycle carrier which used to be fitted to our towbar of a R reg citroen. We now have a 04 reg Espace. Can we still fit it to the towbar. Our towbar fitter says yes, but we seem to recall that we read the law had changed and we can't. We'd like to take 2 bikes on it to Sandringham. Any help gratefully accepted.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Nothing has really changed. You just need to watch that the total weight of the carrier and the bicycles does not exceed the maximum permissible noseweight specified for the towbar. You don't say whether you will be towing a caravan at the same time but if you are, then the noseload from the caravan must be included, too. In that case you'll probably find that you won't leave yourself with enough noseload of the caravan to ensure a stable outfit (25kg trailer noseload is anyway the minimum that the law allows)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is the point at issue the thickness of items sandwiched between the towball and the towbar? If your car is 1998 or newer, there is a maximum thickness of extras. Trouble is, I can't remember what it is. I know that a Scott plate, 1" spacer and Carry Cycle carrier are not allowed together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will have to consider how much the of the carrier plus bikes weight will eat into the maximum noseweight allowed on the towbar. The thickness of what is attached to the bar is another issue. I understand that most manufacturers test their bars with a spacer plate between ball and bar to allow for accessories such as stabiliser or bike carrier. If your manufacturer hasn't included the spacer, then I don't believe you can fit anything other than a towball, and remain legal whilst towing. I contacted Brink when I had one of their bars fitted to my Vectra, who confirmed what I have just said - which was contrary to what the fitter told me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi.Larayne.We had a pendle carrier on a 1999 ford galaxy.As far as I can remember the spacer that carries the 2 arms is quite thick and as a consequence the tow bar bolts have to be overlong.When we changed our tow car I wanted to use the pendle carrier but the tow bar fitter said it was now against the law to fit the overlength bolts.I contacted pendle about this problem and they have now modified the spacer with a thinner version,and guess what! the old arms will not fit the new bracket.Hence a complete new carrier is needed.So Mike P is correct in his reply.Hope this helps.

Regards Nidge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts