Cycle Carrier

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simple answer - Yes

To clarify, theh weight of the carrier and its bikes sits on the tow hitch and thus uses some of the allowable loading for the hitch, and its effect can be considerable - most bikes weigh in excses of 10Kg adn teh carrier is probably a further 10Kg so for a typical tow ball load capacity of 75Kg, with 2 bikes and carrier, teh available nose load for teh trailer would be 75 - 30 = 45Kg

Most forum users eventually go for either puting the bikes in the caravan, or on a car roof mounted carrier.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Matthew, I followed John L's advice and have gone for roof mounted. I was intending rear or drawbar mounted. I then thought about it a bit more not wanting to upset balance or overload noseweight....... then the plain and obvious struck me!, if I mounted bikes on caravan how the hell was I going to transport them with the caravan parked up?. So simply roof mounting does not upset you balance, and rack is in place to take bikes on days out. Sometimes the simple solution is too obvious!!

Regards

Graham F

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yup Matthew, that sure stuffs that option!. Other option could be to carry them inside, but I've never much fancied that fearing damage to the interior.

As you say with 140kgs to play with gives you some margin. My max. is 90kgs and I run close to that with an empty caravan. You could also consider a carrier on the rear of the drawbar which mounts the bikes in front of the window. Although this will increase the noseweight, being a bit further back may not increase it by quite as much as towball mounted.

Which ever way you decide, have fun.

Regards

Graham F

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we bought 2 really cheap large duvets which we use to wrap the kids bikes in when putting them in the van. Secure the duvet with bungees. I am very very fussy about our van and this has worked a treat so far with zero van damage. Plus I feel it's alot safe than a tow ball mounted carrier, especially when stopping off for a break and leaving the van for an hour or so. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ours are the roof, I never understood bikes going inside caravans, where do you sit when you stop, or have an overnight stop.

Its to much hard work to keep lifting them out.

At the end of the day there only push bikes, which one has insured anyway.

We use locks even when mounted on the roof. If they get wet we dry them off.

Did you not enquire about these things when you thinking of buying you car??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also put our bikes in the caravan well padded with old water cylinder covers etc, as we don't carry much else in there. We have bought a brilliant cycle carrier from Towsure that just clamps onto the tow ball, fits on and off in seconds, so that when we are away we can go out with the bikes on the car. Only

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts