Cycling in Devon or Cornwall

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi ppl

I have posted this before but didn't get any replies.

I want to go to Cornwall or Devon in August for a week. I want to take bicycles as I can't see me doing my normal summer activity of sunbathing and relaxing on the beach.

Does anybody know of a 'all singing/dancing' site that has good access to cycle routes. Some sites simply open out onto main roads with no access to smaller routes.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Don't know any sites as such, but there is a wealth of cycle routes in and around Cornwall. We generally pick a site, then transport the bikes to the cycle trails on the car. This year we did quite a few including to the Eden Project as if you cycle or walk, you get in considerably cheaper. We also did the Camel Trail, particularly great view across the bay to Padstow and various other routes including a pleasant ride via country lanes to St Michaels Mount at Marazion from Hayle.

We actually stayed at the CC Club Site, St Agnes Beacon, but it is certainly not an all singing/dancing site, but does have beach access down a steepish cliff path. Nearest pubs/shops etc 2 miles down the lane. From there we could access any part of Cornwall and did, visiting the whole of the area over two weeks. When we go again, we're going St Ives as this was my most favourite place.

Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

Why not turn this round on its head . I suggest you study the excellent details given on the Sustrans web site. They operate most of the cycle routes throughout the UK.

Once you like a certain route then I am sure we can all help with site suggestions.

There's the Camel trail in Cornwall and the Tarka Trail in North Devon to name a few. Both have some excellent sites nearby.

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Many thanks chaps

Its late and I've just got in after watching Liverpool so will keep it quick.

Have done the Padstow to Wadebridge cycle route and it was 'ok'. I'm afraid I find the Sustrans website poor. Just when you think they're going to give you what you need, they offer to sell you a map. A few years ago I bought one from them to cover the aforementioned route but it was a joke. Basically turn up at Padstow and it was impossible to get lost on the route.

I will have to work a little harder to find what I need, but your suggestions really are useful.

PS Dusty, don't you owe me a pint?

:)

Ian

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
We have stayed at Golden Coast in Woolacombe and this site has all the pools and evening entertainment etc. The Tarka Trail Ilfracombe off road trail is about 200 - 300 yds away. Willingcott CC site has a gate onto the trail.

From memory, this part of the trail is off road for about 4 miles. Longer off road stints are a short (traffic dependent) drive away.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

I can't remember quite what the pint was for but I'll find an excuse!

On the other hand as Aston Villa will be at Wembley next month I think we could celebrate with more than one pint.

Cheers

Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts