Cycling in France

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
The Ile de Re (just of La Rochelle via a toll bridge)is ideal. Its flat and criss-crossed with off road paved cycle tracks that conect all the villages of the island. If you chose a site in the area of La Couardethe in centre of the Island almost everywhere is reachable.

Regards Dave

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi Colin

The Loire area is fantastic, easy, quiet roads through vineyards and lovely little villages. We are stopping for a week on the Isle de re near la Rochelle this year...100kms of flat trails and lots of sites. The cyclist is well respected on French roads and you will have a great time.

Texastom

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Colin

The Loire area is fantastic, easy, quiet roads through vineyards and lovely little villages. We are stopping for a week on the Isle de re near la Rochelle this year...100kms of flat trails and lots of sites. The cyclist is well respected on French roads and you will have a great time.

Texastom
We have cycled the Ille de Re two years ago and had a very enjoyable holiday however we fancied a different area.

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Colin

Texastom
any routes,sites on the loire

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

We always take our bikes on with us when caravanning. I would recommend Benodet area of Brittany.

I, also, straightaway remember a magical day over 10 years ago when we took our bikes on the ferry from the Quiberon Peninsula to Belle Isle(45 Mins). The small ferry was packed out with bikes and bikers. We had a super day cycling from one end of the Island to the other pastel villages and varying landscapes including dramatic cliffs and a restored Vaubin fort. At that time we were a family with 5 children aged 5,7,9,11 and 13. Lovely safe roads and friendly people. In one village they started to applaud as we rode through in a line!! We had intended to return but you know how it is.

The Quiberon/Carnac area is, also, good for cycling with prehistoric menhirs (standing stones) to visit and some lovely beaches. If you google Quiberon and Belle Isle you'll get more details - I just tried it.

Happy 'vanning and cycling

Tim

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
It's worth bearing in mind that the French have a totally different attitude to cyclists than people here. In France, drivers are far more considerate and will wait until it's safe to pass on the other side of the road.

Also, if you're on a country road, it's quite normal that motorists will give a quick friendly toot on the horn when they see you in the distance, just to warn you that they're there.

Regarding the choice of area, I'd be tempted to head a fair way South (at least to the Loire area) to get a reasonable chance of some decent weather, as the climate in Brittany, Normandy and son on is very similar to ours.

Cycling in France is a pleasure - enjoy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's worth bearing in mind that the French have a totally different attitude to cyclists than people here. In France, drivers are far more considerate and will wait until it's safe to pass on the other side of the road.

Also, if you're on a country road, it's quite normal that motorists will give a quick friendly toot on the horn when they see you in the distance, just to warn you that they're there.

Regarding the choice of area, I'd be tempted to head a fair way South (at least to the Loire area) to get a reasonable chance of some decent weather, as the climate in Brittany, Normandy and son on is very similar to ours.

Cycling in France is a pleasure - enjoy!
As is everything!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts