Cyclone Graphite grey touch up pen set

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have ask my local Ford dealer for a touch up pen set for my new car and all i got you be waiting until the end of the year because the paint is new they gave me a colour code i have now rung local paint and products they said bring your car we will take a photo and get a match . so hear hoping they can help me in this matter

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I got a Supermarket, Trolly scar, within 6 month of getting our car. And all the "matched" colours are NOT. I think it is a KIA white and not the Hyundai.
Reminds me of the latest adverts on how to pronounce Hyundai.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your VIN plate should have the paint code on it, or a label elsewhere. You can then use this to purchase the correct paint on line.
Are you aware which numbers are for the paint code? Someone decided that my Jeep looked immaculate and decided to play bumper cars with driver's door taking a big chip out of the door. Well it looks big to me although it is probably only 1 cm across, but I can see the metal underneath. I need to touch it up. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Are you aware which numbers are for the paint code? Someone decided that my Jeep looked immaculate and decided to play bumper cars with driver's door taking a big chip out of the door. Well it looks big to me although it is probably only 1 cm across, but I can see the metal underneath. I need to touch it up. Thanks.
My Owners Manual has a breakdown of the info on the label, so did my Forester, but give the registration number to the dealership and their service department will tell you.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sometimes it’s best to leave the odd scar well alone. Touch ups can look worse.
A not so cheap but effective way is one of the chips away type firms.
My body shop friend has a paint scanning reader which he places on a cleaned surface of the car. Data feeds into his paint mixing machine and out comes the paint. His point is paints age , his system gives a perfect match.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sometimes it’s best to leave the odd scar well alone. Touch ups can look worse.
A not so cheap but effective way is one of the chips away type firms.
My body shop friend has a paint scanning reader which he places on a cleaned surface of the car. Data feeds into his paint mixing machine and out comes the paint. His point is paints age , his system gives a perfect match.
I have used Chipsaway in the past, but for such a small chip it could be pricy? I am worried about the very tiny piece of bare metal we can see in the chip as do not want rust forming.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To repair my, Supermarket scares it was going to be £250 I was going to wait for a third one, then they started on the other side. Sod it they can knock £500 off the trade in price.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used Chipsaway in the past, but for such a small chip it could be pricy? I am worried about the very tiny piece of bare metal we can see in the chip as do not want rust forming.
Try a Curerust touch up pen, but quite frankly gentle use of Cureust and a paint pen followed by a polishing down would complete the job and prevent further deterioration. But if that’s not what you want to do just use a small smear of clear waxoyl occasionally.

Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I'd only had my current V90 for six weeks when this happened (hit & run) in a hotel car park:

IMG_5145.JPG

Once I'd calmed down I got a quote from my local smart repair place, he's also into classic cars and knows how fussy I am about repairs, he promised me I wouldn't be able to tell and repaired it for less than my insurance excess all within a day. As others have said, some well meaning touch-ups end up looking worse than the actual damage. Although the VIN paint will give you the colour code, some manufacturers use several shades on that colour, remember the Vauxhall Cavaliers from the early-mid 80's done in China Blue (a kind of mid-powder blue)? FOURTEEN shades to that colour!!!!!

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Once I'd calmed down I got a quote from my local smart repair place, he's also into classic cars and knows how fussy I am about repairs, he promised me I wouldn't be able to tell and repaired it for less than my insurance excess all within a day.
Is he far from Worcester? I think that OH's 1996 Corolla is almost a classic. LOL!

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
After i rung the paint shop they deal with 7 manufacturers and right back to Italy
it part of a old and new colour mixed together and they are waiting for the new formula it will be available later in the year
So he got his camera and did a match and i got this below
50ml paint and lacquer mixed together for £8.75

Attachments

• DSC03191.JPG
    DSC03191.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Only had my car less than a fortnight and there a mark on the right side wing we only been to a supermarket yesterday the touch up paint has come in handy already .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Gave my new touch up paint a go on the mark on the wing then yesterday was at the Ford Dealer he said it a good match but he does not think it the right colour well i went on online put your number plate reg so did that and the next day it arrived and i know this is spot on .
on the paperwork it says Ford Cyclone Graphite grey .

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 3
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gave my new touch up paint a go on the mark on the wing then yesterday was at the Ford Dealer he said it a good match but he does not think it the right colour well i went on online put your number plate reg so did that and the next day it arrived and i know this is spot on .
You can never guarantee that a touch up paint is an exact match to the cars body paint. The other aspect is that the touch up is applied by brush and the cars body is high pressure spray painted. So the reflectivity is different. But you’ve confronted what is the most difficult aspect in that you are now reconciled to your new car having a chip/ding. That’s always a gut wrenching moment when you spot it in the car park. 👍

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I tried one of those companies on line, and it came back the wrong white for my Santa Fe. Halfords matching pens were also the wrong white.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I tried one of those companies on line, and it came back the wrong white for my Santa Fe. Halfords matching pens were also the wrong white.
My name is on the waiting list at the Ford dealer and when the touch up pen set comes in stock they will contact me .

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Any automotive paint supplier will mix you a touch up kit or rattle can, far cheaper than a dealer + if you take the car/ caravan they will get the colour shade right. Purchasing a touch up kit from a main dealer or Halfords won't guarantee a good match, especially with reds and yellows.

My preferred method for touching up scratches and chips, is to apply the base colour with a touch up brush and spray the clear coat over a larger area with a rattle can , let it harden for a few days and cut back something like a Farecla G3, then a G10 (or equivalents) . This should give you a good repair at a fraction of a PDR cost. If you have any runs from the clear coat, let them harden, and shave off with a razor blade prior to using the cutting compounds.

If you have 3 stage pearl its more difficult to hide the repair and may need a bit of trial and error, if the panel has had a previous repair and was refinished in 2 pack, or if the damage is deep (2 pack chips can be like craters) , a smear of stopping compound, will be required prior to applying the paint.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My name is on the waiting list at the Ford dealer and when the touch up pen set comes in stock they will contact me .
BB any chance of a photo of the before and after? With such a new car I’d be gutted and probably spend a few quid with a scratch ding firm. But rest assured we all collect scratches. I just accept them now as part of having a car😢

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
BB any chance of a photo of the before and after? With such a new car I’d be gutted and probably spend a few quid with a scratch ding firm. But rest assured we all collect scratches. I just accept them now as part of having a car😢
Back in 2015 when I bought my new VW Touareg, I had it professionally valetted including ceramic coating - this has proved invaluable over the years as the coating prevents or absorbs most scratches and continues to protect the paintwork underneath.

Reactions: GaryB and Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi DD it only a small scratch and i have touch it up if happens again next i will take a photo before and after :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts