Damage while in for service

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Any advice you can give would be really helpful.

I took my van for it's 3rd annual service yesterday and when I got it home I found it had a fairly noticable dent in the nearside side panel that wasn't there when I left it in the morning.

I sent pictures and rang them this morning and was told they would look into it.

I think I know what is going to come back, it wasn't us, you can't prove it, hard luck.

I am really not happy any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Trev.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Missedagain1

What did you miss?

Whilst you think about that, any company that undertakes work on a customers property (caravan) is obliged to under fair trades to protect the property from loss, damage or decay whilst in their control. They should have insurance to cover such eventualities.

They will have been told by their insurers never to admit liability. In your case, whilst I don't hold out much hope, because it is your word against theirs, You have nothing to loose by pressing your claim.

Write a detailed letter to their managing director explaining why you know the damaged occurred whilst the caravan was in their control, If you can provide recent dated pictures prior to the service showing no damage that might improve you chances. Keep a copy of this and any other correspondence, along with a record of dates, times, content and the name of anyone you have had a telephone or conversation with.

When ever a valuable item like a caravan or a car is left with a repairer they should check the condition of the vehicle with the owner to identify and record any damaged and again after wards.

Their failure to do so might be a point in your favour. If your letter does not give you leverage you are looking for then you may be wise to seek professional legal advice.

If you have comprehensive caravan insurance, they may be able to help, even your household insurance may have cover for legal costs, check you policy details.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I've got a similar dilemma, although not a dent!

We had our caravan in for it's third service recently, it was returned to us on the Wednesday before we were due to go on holiday (Friday). Now I was very careful in checking all the windows were securely locked prior to us leaving, but, to our horror, we "lost" a window on the A1. It appeared that it had been completely removed, leaving the stay only on one side, and all other fitments had gone. There was no other damage to our 'van!

Whilst we were away, we phoned our dealer and asked whether the windows would be part of the service, it was confirmed, they are! It all seems very coincidental, but again we have no proof!!!

A new window was ordered there and then, we were told it would be an insurance job and would take three weeks for the window to be delivered. Three weeks were up on Monday, and we haven't heard a word. It seemed the service had been done in haste as the dealers were short staffed, as a result, there was evidence of oil smears on the door of our 'van, and one or two other little niggles.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Very sorry to hear of both of your difficulties.

I've had this a couple of times with cars, coming back with scratches or another " new " fault after coming back from the garage.

I reckon it's really down to the dealer / garage and your relationship with them. If you've been with them for a wee while and had dealings with them, they'll remember you and know that you're not " at it ", therefore it must be their fault.

Then it's down to whether the dealer / garage are any good. Again, if you've been with them a while, they'll probably be OK, or you would have gone elsewhere long before.

But it is a difficult one to sort our, especially if they don't know you and you don't know them. As has been said, there's not really any proof either way.

Good luck, hope you get things sorted to your satisfaction,

Alex.

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the comments,

I will be writing to the managing director of the dealer concerned, I am waiting for him to get back to me after his internal investigation, though having spoken to him I really don't hold out much hope of getting anywhere, he seemed quite distant when I spoke to him yesterday saying it couldn't have happened here my lads would have told me etc etc. So we will have to see.

Wendy good luck with your window we also have oil smears all over the place but i think it is part of making it look as if it has been serviced correctly whatever has been done to it.

Trouble is you buy a new van and are held to service by dealers that mostly employ youngsters who may not take as much care of it as somebody who is slightly older and has made such a major purchase, our local caravan sales dealer (non franhised) employs 2 blokes mid 40's and when we took our old van there for service they went round it with us when we left it and again when we picked it up. That is what I'm doing from now on, however long it takes that way both the dealer and myself know what marks are on the van when its left.

Sorry about the rant but I'm still steaming.

Thanks again to all.

Trev.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Missedagain1

When we took our van in for servicing, we walked around it with the technition noting all faults, When we collected it we did the same but noticed damage to rear corner and awning rail.

When we complained they stated it couldnt possibly of happened on their site but when we refered them back to the original examination report with no damage in this area recorded, they finally were forced to concede and repaired the van.

The lesson to be learnt by all.Never just collect and tow away.

Take your time and re examine your van inside and out and if any problems are apparent, report them before you depart so you have full recource for any action to be taken.

After all if buy buy something in a shop for cash you always check your change as no recource can happen once you walk away, so why expect your van to be any different.

You pay for the service, they have a duty of care to look after your property. Check Check and Check again to the best of your ability or common sence.

hope this is of help

John

May 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all.

Having spoken to the MD of the dealer concerned it would appear as if it is a case of hardluck you can't prove whether it was there or not before the service and as such you are out of luck, though they did say when it comes back to have a new front and rear fitted under warranty they would have a look then, to do what I don't know.

Moral of the story, as has been said on here, check and check again, from now on we will do diagrams of each part of the van inside and out and show any damage get them to sign then recheck against the same sheets when we pick the van up.

Thanks for all the imput from everyone, I hope that by checking others may avoid the grief we've endured over the past few days.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear of you plight with your dealer.

My dealer does the checks as a matter of coures when the van goes in however when we go to pick it up they dont!!!!!

we do and check the inside as well. Once we had oil all over the carpet whch had to be replaced, if we haddent checked it we would have had to fit the bill.

Kevin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks all.

Having spoken to the MD of the dealer concerned it would appear as if it is a case of hardluck you can't prove whether it was there or not before the service and as such you are out of luck, though they did say when it comes back to have a new front and rear fitted under warranty they would have a look then, to do what I don't know.

Moral of the story, as has been said on here, check and check again, from now on we will do diagrams of each part of the van inside and out and show any damage get them to sign then recheck against the same sheets when we pick the van up.

Thanks for all the imput from everyone, I hope that by checking others may avoid the grief we've endured over the past few days.
Alternatively many mobile phones will take pictures or video. take pictures that include the dealers representative actually looking at the caravan to establish date and condition when they received it.

Nov 16, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for shutting the stable door after... I always take a digital photo as I drop off car or caravan. Been there. Good luck with the MD. If you have the time start emailing newspapers and copy the MD in. Works wonders

Kevin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts