Damp black spots / pimple patches, 15-30% on patches of floor - Bailey Pegasus Ancona GT-65 2014

Oct 6, 2021
Visit site
Good afternoon, I've recently noticed, after taking the van out of storage, black spots and pimples, in front of the hot water tank and spreading aft under the bottom bunk bed. this is only in spots and not extending from the sides. I've checked the underside of the floor, with damp readings recorded. <20%, including corners. The hot water system was drained before storage. Van was internal storage and moisture traps x 5, all found full and working as expected. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I've attempted to remove the wardrobe bottom shelf above the water heater tank, My plan is to monitor the tank and fittings when chlorinating the system to look for any potential leaks. However, after removing all eight screws, the shelf appears slotted into the side. Any clues on how to remove the shelf without taking apart bunkbeds and frames etc?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Without seeing it, it is very difficult to know exactly what it is, but almost always black spots are usually mould. The fact it is spots also suggests it's probably the results of condensation.

The fact you have found moisture traps full, shows the atmosphere was laden with moisture, and that does not mean you necessary have a leak, it's just nature.

Warm air can carry more moisture than cold air, which is why we often heat things up to dry them, the warmed air drags moisture from the washing and then convects it away.- Result... faster drying.

Condensation occurs when warm moist air is cooled and it has to get rid of some of its moisture. This often happens when the air comes into contact with a cold surface which appears as condensation.

In a caravan it is very easy to have areas that are quickly heated due to the sunshine, yet areas in shadow can be much cooler, especially at this time of year.

The best solution to tackle condensation is good ventilation, such as leaving cupboard and bed lockers open to allow free movement of air.

Dehumidifiers can make a difference when you put a caravan into storage. When the caravan has been in use it will have absorbed some additional moisture becasue we like to keep them warn (which raises the amount of moisture things han hold), and we breathe, and use the cooker and oven, boiled kettle's etc, all of which increases the level of humidity inside the caravan, and in soft furnishings and exposed wood.

When we put it into storage and it cools down, all that extra moisture is released into the air and condenses in the cooler areas. Dehumidifies can help to collect that excess moisture, but only until the level in the caravan fall to match the ambient conditions. After that point the continued use of dehumidifiers offers no further practical benefit, because the air inside the caravan is slowly but continually exchanged with new fresh (and moisture laden) air from outside.

All the continued use of a dehumidifier does is to try and collect all the moisture in the atmosphere, and will make no practical change to the conditions inside the caravan.

I suggest you clean the mould with either a propriety anti mould cleaner or weak bleach solution, and make sure you allow free air movement inside the caravan.

Edited to correct spellings

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021
Visit site
Without seeing it, it is very difficult to know exactly what it is, but almost always black spots are usually mould. The fact is spots also suggests its probably the results of condensation.

The fact you have found moisture traps full shows that the atmosphere was laden with moisture, and that does not mean you necessary have a leak, it's just nature.

Warm air can carry more moisture than cold air, which is why we often heat things up to dry them, the warmed air drags moisture from the washing and then convects away.- Result faster drying.

Condensation occurs when warm moist air is cooled and it has to get rid of some of its moisture. This often happens when the air comes into contact with a cold surface which appears as condensation.

In a caravan it is very easy to places that are quickly heated due to the sunshine, yet areas in shadow can be much cooler, especially at this time of year.

The best solution to tackle condensation is good ventilation, such as leaving cupboard and bed lockers open to allow free movement of air.

Dehumidifiers can make a difference when you put a caravan into storage, becasue when the caravan has been in use it will have absorbed some additional moisture becasue we like to keep them warn (which raises the amount of moisture things han hold), and we breath, and use the cooker and oven, boiled kettels etc, all of which increases the level of humidity inside the caravan, and in soft furnishings and exposed wood.

When we put it into storage and it cools down, all that extra moisture condenses in the cooler areas. Dehumidifies can help to collect that excess moisture, but only until the level in the caravan fall to match the ambient conditions. After that point the continued use of dehumidifiers offers no further practical benefit, because the air inside the caravan is slowly but continually exchanged with new fresh ( and moisture laden) air from out side.

All the continued use of a dehumidifier does is to try and collect all the moisture in the atmosphere, and will make no practical change to the conditions inside the caravan.

I suggest you clean the mould with either a propriety anti mould cleaner or weak bleach solution, and make sure you allow free air movement inside the caravan.
Thank you very much Sir for your reply and guidance. Much appreciated. Plenty ventilation now the van is out of storage. See images attached, does this point towards just condensation in your experience?

Attachments

• PXL_20230404_154545928.jpg
    PXL_20230404_154545928.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20230404_154721540.jpg
    PXL_20230404_154721540.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thankyou for the photo's.

The pattern of the marks looks more like puddling. and it seems to be associated with the water heaters coldwater Pressure relief and Drain Valve (Yellow). You might be wise to have the heater checked.

Even if that is the cause my previous advice regarding condensation is still worth bearing in mind.

Reactions: Caladhsona
Oct 6, 2021
Visit site
Thank you once again, I'll certainly look at the water heater system. Hopefully that is the source and not a structural issue. I just need to figure out how to remove the most secure wardrobe shelf in history!

Oct 6, 2021
Visit site
Good Afternoon..after finally removing the shelf, and running both hot and cold systems.,leaving pressurised over a period of time, nothing found from the whale tank or associated pipework. Now for the bad news! I continued my search underneath the van. See picture from the back r/h wheel arch. I found a rotten patch underneath the pointless plastic strips fitted by bailey...now, until today, I wasn't aware the strips were fitted at the wheel arch corners! I frequently check the four main corners and all dry. As you can see on the picture, I ripped the plastic to allow the area to vent and dry out! Where on earth do I start to firstly stop the ingress and repair...please help🤞. At the moment a gallon on petrol and a match is coming to mind...PXL_20230410_130908447.jpgPXL_20230410_130908447.jpg

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It may not be as bad as you think, If the wood is not "soft," I would give it a good covering of either spray or brush on Bitchimum to give a good waterproof sealed area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts