Damp damage repairs

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
My husband and I have just bought our 1st caravan and are really pleased. However, on our first outing this weekend we have discovered it is suffering from a little damp around the front window. We wondered if there was any way we can treat it ourselves to prolong the caravans life. Any ideas would be great.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emma, unfortunately there is no quick fix answer.

A little damp may be present now, but how long has it been letting water in, and how far has it gone, with the resulting possible rotting of timbers.

The only way of finding out is to undertake a front end strip and rebuild of the affected area, with replacing any damaged wood, new window seals and new interior wall boards, as well as resealing any external joins in the van skin.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Yea no easy quick answer Emma,strip and look,Ive just done a front end rebuild on mine due to six leaks that i had over years,Dealers price to do the job is expensive but you can do it for a fraction of the price and its really not that hard,,

Sep 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike,

We have an Avondale Perle 1990, we brought it a couple of weeks ago and were obviously disappointed to find that it was starting to leak and go damp on the front window. Other than the bit of damp it is in excellent condition so I think it would be worth while having a DIY go at it.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Having done a front end damp repair, I would agree with others that the 'bit' of damp you've become aware of is likely to be rather more extensive when you start to strip the job down. Fortunately the woodwork involved should be within the scope of any reasonably competent diy-er. It may be possible to improve the quality of the joints, materials and fasteners. Just make sure to take measurements, drawings, photos etc as you go

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts