Damp in a 2004 caravan

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Today we did a clean up under the island bed in our 2004 Lunar Lexon 640 caravan and on the back wall of the caravan we noticed extensive mould. Closer examination revealed that there were actual water droplets on the wall on the inside of the caravan about the size of a large handprint. The mould was from one side of the caravan to the other. This gives concern that the rear wall of the caravan is very damp and wet. The caravan was purchased brand new on the 03/01/05.

Should we accept a repair as obviously the caravan will have to go back to the manufacturer for repair and no one knows how long the repair will take or should we insist on a replacement caravan as we have no idea how badly infected the caravan is with the damp. It was our intention to keep the caravan for at least 5 years but now...............?

The big issue is that we are living in the caravan on more or less a permanent basis until we can purchase alternative accommodation. Where do we stay in the meantime and who should foot the bill?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian,

We had a lot of problems with our 2002 caravan, from the moment we picked it up there were major problems, to cut a long story short it went back to manufacturer to have a total new back panel, we tried to push for a new van and all we got told is that they will agree to repair it but under no circumstances will they replace it. I think within the first year of having it it spent more time back in the repair shop than with us.

I hope you have more luck than we did

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your problem Ian.

I would love to think that you would get a new van because of the problem.

I'm sorry to say especially as the van is over a year old that I guess that at best you will be offerd a repair. You may find they duck any issue of using the van as a place to live in, hopefully your dealer may offer you a loan van.

Good Luck.

Apr 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian, very sorry to hear about your caravan, we picked up our new Hymer nova last october, we only had it a week and had to take it back to our dealer, it had a water leak through the awning rail.

Our dealer has been absolutely fantastic, very sympathetic and helpful, we pick up our new caravan in 2 weeks, although it has been a long wait, we insisted that we did not want the van repaired and our dealer agreed.

They gave us a loan caravan, supplied gas, wheel clamp, hitch lock and insurance.

I know this is a different scenario to yours and you probably wont get a replacement caravan, i am sorry to say, but if you dont ask, you dont get!

We put our feelings down in writing to our dealer and fortunately they agreed with everything we said. As i said earlier, our dealer has been absolutely fantastic and we are so pleased we chose them.

I hope this helps and i hope you get a satisfactory outcome, best wishes, Andrew.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
So sorry to hear about your leak problem /Once again the a Lunar is living up to its reputation. Your contract is with your dealer so first you must go through him and try to get the best deal you can .Ask for a loan caravan while yours is being repared .I dont think they will replace your van but you can only try . Good luck and keep us posted Coljac

Mar 16, 2006
Visit site
So sorry to hear about your leak problem /Once again the a Lunar is living up to its reputation. Your contract is with your dealer so first you must go through him and try to get the best deal you can .Ask for a loan caravan while yours is being repared .I dont think they will replace your van but you can only try . Good luck and keep us posted Coljac
Is there something we should no about Lunar Caravans?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian

Sorry to hear about your van you must be gutted.

Lunar did have a reputation for leaky vans (Leaky Lunars)

However after reading this forum for a while now I feel that the quality of Lunar vans are comparable to any of the British vans and better than some.Andrew's Hymer whos quality is second to none had a leaking awning rail.

"You pays your money and takes your chance"

Regards Jim

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Ian, you're not in a nice situation. I'm not an expert on law by any means, but I'd say you have no chance of getting a new 'van. The fact you're living in your 'van really won't matter a whole lot.Personally I don't like the idea of new(ish) caravans being repaired, because they never really seem to be right, but I don't think you have much option. Best of luck anyway.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dealer called around yesterday to have alook at the problem and has put it down to condensation. Dealer then went up to Lunar factory and discussed it with them yesterday and the agreed that there was a problem with condensation under the fixed bed. The dealer also discussed the issue of the drawer above the heater distorting because of heat issues. Again Lunar were aware of the issue. To combat the condensation problem, they will be fitting a second board under the fixed bed and about two inches away from the rear wall. apparently doing this causes a draught and keeps the condensation away.

To combat the drawer issue and vent is to be fitted to prevent a build up of heat under the drawer. morfe than likely the next caravan at the end of the year will be a Explorer Laser as thye seem to be the best built British caravan. Alternatively we will look at a Hobby 650.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts