Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Hello all,

Hopefully someone will know but i'm not sure...I'll give it a go...

I have access to a proffesional moisture meter through my work (calibrated regulaly and worth a bit- very accurate apparently).

What moisture PERCENTAGE would give you cause for concern?

Im looking at european softwood (struts are, so figure this is right).

At our work we specify timber musn't be higher than 12% (its for timber frame building) i'm thinking i should look lower.

Any proffessionals here who know?

Jennifer

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Up to 20% is regarded as acceptable by caravan manufacturers, ie they won't entertain warranty claims below that figure.

It's a bit like quoted oil consumption for cars - if your vehicle is up to that level you're already in trouble.

If you've a professional damp meter, calibrated regularly, your reading are probably more accurate that a caravan workshop would obtain.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jennifer, 0%- 18% ok, 18%-25% requires attention, anything above that potentially serious. Bailey use higher figures for some reason, but thats the % i was told to use, remember there are lot of anomalies you need to take into account when taking moisture readings.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Jennifer, Yes condensation can be a problem, also different types of surface covering give different readings, the probes have to used correctly, favorite trick with some dealers is to touch window rubber,or a staple with 1 probe to get an high reading, When i do a service first job is to open all the cupboard doors and place the meter in the van to balance the temperature and do the damp test last.

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
hi jennifer

I also work in the timber industry (doors & windows).

We like our incoming timber to be approx 13 - 14% as this tends to match ambient conditions and reduces swelling / shrinking with varying moisture levels.

I have tested the work benches in our assembly shop and they still show a reading of about 8-9% and they are in a heated area. Other posts are giving accurate data when stating up to 20% before work is considered.

I took our meter home the other day, which is also a professional moisture meter for timber, and got between 8 and 11 % on various parts of my van.

This has now gone for a service so it will be interesting to see how my figures compare with the dealers.

I will re-post in a week or so when I get the van back.

Alan

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
hi jennifer

I also work in the timber industry (doors & windows).

We like our incoming timber to be approx 13 - 14% as this tends to match ambient conditions and reduces swelling / shrinking with varying moisture levels.

I have tested the work benches in our assembly shop and they still show a reading of about 8-9% and they are in a heated area. Other posts are giving accurate data when stating up to 20% before work is considered.

I took our meter home the other day, which is also a professional moisture meter for timber, and got between 8 and 11 % on various parts of my van.

This has now gone for a service so it will be interesting to see how my figures compare with the dealers.

I will re-post in a week or so when I get the van back.

Alan
Hi Alan, Thanks for that info, I usually find that the readings on a 'dry van' range between 10%-14% some looks like i'm working along the right lines.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts