Damp/Moisture Meters

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,i am looking privately to buy my first second hand caravan soon but don't want to buy one that has water ingress. I was thinking of buying a Protimeter mini damp meter to safe-guard myself against this. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other damp meters when using them in caravans. Is it a good buy or am i wasting my money? Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi scott, Damp Meters have been discussed at some length in an earlier thread, however I doubt if it is worth purchasing one. The results from such meters are affecetd by a wide range of conditions, you could start to worry about something thats not there. If you did find damp, then its too late - prevention is definately better than cure. My advice would be to keep the caravan well serviced with attention to panel joints and the screw heads on the beading etc. Internally make sure you keep the van well aired.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I also doubt whether it's worth buying a damp meter just for your own use. If the caravan that you're thinking of buying was last used in dry conditions and it's been stored well protected against the elements, the meter may not record any damp even though it has potential damp spots. A critical inspection by an expert will probably reveal more about its condition.

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
I also doubt whether it's worth buying a damp meter just for your own use. If the caravan that you're thinking of buying was last used in dry conditions and it's been stored well protected against the elements, the meter may not record any damp even though it has potential damp spots. A critical inspection by an expert will probably reveal more about its condition.
Hi all,

It may suprise you but you will get damp meter readings in ALL vans....yes new ones as well. The crunch time comes when you find where it is and the percentage reading. New vans can have 20% readings and it is considered by the manufactures to be ok.

I tested a floor on a 1995 van the other day and it was at 15%, did you know when a dealer tests for damp they dont test the floors?.....why? ......I dont know.

Cheers Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts