Damp Oh dear.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My 2015 Lunar Clubman has had a clean bill of health until this service which has just been done. I was not happy with the service for a number of reasons but I will restrict this thread to the damp. The report shows all walls and roof are fine. But the floor in places is up to 50%. His meter showed a little different to my cheap one which is to be expected, but the locations of where it is bad match.

I am trying to puzzle where it is getting in. Two of the locations have suffered from leeks in the past. One around the toilet, the other where all the water gubbins is. However on the opposite side of the van, just by the door is bad, also by the wheel arch (both missed by the engineer) and under the near side bunk are also bad.

I have examined the lower horizontal rail which looks absolutely fine, but looks can be deceiving. I have also tested the underside of the van, where is says 44% on the floor, underneath is only 3%.

I am wondering if it may be moisture getting between the linoleum and the floor. I can bring the van home and run a dehumidifier for a while. But I am not sure if that would help. How can it dry the floor through the linoleum?

Another odd thing is wherever I hold the non invasive meter on the wall it reads 0%. I am not sure what the material is, but I believe it has a trick where it turns blue if there is too much water content. Even at floor level where the floor shows 44% the wall shows dry.

I am having it booked in for repair. But does anyone have any idea what it could be? Or what I could try.

I am tempted to remove the linoleum to allow it to dry out, any thoughts on that?

John

PS there is no smell and the floor feels solid, no sponginess at all.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My 2013 Clubman had damp along the two nearside lower rails last year - which had to be removed and resealed - on a previous service, both battery box and external side locker needed resealing due to damp.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My 2013 Clubman had damp along the two nearside lower rails last year - which had to be removed and resealed - on a previous service, both battery box and external side locker needed resealing due to damp.

Interesting, did the readings show in the way mine have. up to 2 feet inboard in places. But mostly close to the sides.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
B5380903-8EED-4CE2-AF53-5C181808332E.jpeg

Great news. After this year's service finding extensive damp in the floor, up to 53% and having expensive work done to reseal we have had to wait in hope for the readings to go down. We went to the van today in order to collect it to go away tomorrow. First thing we did was test. Highest reading we have found is 15% and places that were 40% are now 2%. It has taken 5 months.

John

Attachments

• 1663072232216.jpeg
    1663072232216.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 1
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 3884

Great news. After this year's service finding extensive damp in the floor, up to 53% and having expensive work done to reseal we have had to wait in hope for the readings to go down. We went to the van today in order to collect it to go away tomorrow. First thing we did was test. Highest reading we have found is 15% and places that were 40% are now 2%. It has taken 5 months.

John
Fantastic news enjoy your break

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Great news, May I ask what the repair bill was I am having similar issues

About £1350. Resealed both bottom rails, one front rail, a wheel arch and a locker.

Bad news is: we have just had 4 days away. And I have discovered that some damp is still there. Though a lot has cleared. We are now considering selling as it is and taking a hit.

In my opinion. When damp gets under the link. It can’t get out so keeps giving high readings. So it is not possible to know if the repair has been successful.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do wonder if the damp showing is nothing more than the caravan drying out but I would keep an eye on it. I think the damp can get out but it takes time.
I do appreciate the idea of selling it. When we found damp in our last one for the second time even though it was covered by guarantee we had lost confidence in it and sold it with the dealer taking it as part exchange and arranging the repair.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I do wonder if the damp showing is nothing more than the caravan drying out but I would keep an eye on it. I think the damp can get out but it takes time.
I do appreciate the idea of selling it. When we found damp in our last one for the second time even though it was covered by guarantee we had lost confidence in it and sold it with the dealer taking it as part exchange and arranging the repair.

I agree time is needed to dry out. It has had 6 months. Much of it has dried in that time.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree time is needed to dry out. It has had 6 months. Much of it has dried in that time.

John
Quite surprised that given the long dry summer that it hasn’t dried out in that area albeit one that is difficult to air. Be interesting to see how the readings change now that autumn progresses.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Quite surprised that given the long dry summer that it hasn’t dried out in that area albeit one that is difficult to air. Be interesting to see how the readings change now that autumn progresses.

It's weird. Locations that we're 45% are now 4% but a couple of inches away 35%. Where it is now really bad is right across the front. The part of the van you would think as the most protected from the elements. However. I found a small leak at the heating pump which may have been responsible, except. I have not had to top up the header tank more than normal. About half a pint per year.

I have removed some lino at the front of the near side locker. And improvements happened over the next day. I will test again next week. But, to remove the lino from the centre front and then under the boiler is a massive job.

John

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On our 2011 Lunar 60% damp was found across the nearside front windows. I think they needed to remove the windows, dry it and then reseal it. The caravan was only 2 years old at the time.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
On our 2011 Lunar 60% damp was found across the nearside front windows. I think they needed to remove the windows, dry it and then reseal it. The caravan was only 2 years old at the time.

Just the floor in mine. All walls are dry right down to the floor. Readings between 0% and 4%.

There is no smell in the van at all. When the damp floor is exposed by removing the lino, it is solid, no rot whatsoever. However, almost unsellable I would think.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts