Damp report

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would not be happy at all-we get the diagrams as shown but each labelled area has a clearly marked percentage reading written in-and there is some variation; of course you only have the technicians word for it-that it has been done properly but I see no reason to doubt it when you're pleased with what you see has been done elsewhere after a service-and of course it's the evidence that the servcie was done to maintain warranty etc too.
Caravan is a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser and it is still wood frame despite the SOLID construction. Solid construction means that there will be no water ingress in permanetly sealed seam joints which are highly unlikely to have water ingress anyway!
You raise some valid points however in addition to the service the caravan was in for a cracked rear skylight surround and one or two other warranty issues. The crack could not be seen from the inside. About 2 months previous they had done a temporary fix for the ctack on the surround.
After the service and repairs, we were contacted and assured that the service had been completed and that the surround had been replaced. Foolishly we believed them.
About 4 months ago I notice a crack on the inside of the surround and thought that it was happening again so got up onto top of the island bed to check. That is when I noticed that the temporary fix was still in place clearly indicating that the repair had not been done!
We collect the caravan this Thursday and have requested a proper damp check with percentage readings.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The probe test is invasive as it means taking a reading below the surface.

The new method is what I have described already. My engineer ran both of his hands over and pressed on all the normal areas.

I don’t know when the new method came out only that it was previous to my service in March. I don’t know what the up to date advice is for your van. Or when you last had it done. But you may find your next service may be different.

Please do not shoot the messenger. I am quoting what my engineer told me and have supported that with the link to the NCC Q&A.

You have already covered the inherent problems with using a meter. They can even give false readings on bare timber. Even when the outer surface is pierced the outer surface will still touch the probes. There is also the danger that people may rely on the numbers in the results. But it may make some feel as though a ‘proper’ job has been done.

I can see the advantages of using what god has given us. I also wonder just what is the point of using a meter on SOLID or other impervious structures.

As I said above, your engineer may use a different method next time.

I guess that the NCC has had a rethink considering new construction methods.

John
No shooting intended John😎

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I cab see that some makes now have no wood to rot so damp is less serious, but can still occur, so I would want a check as a leak can still do damage. Certainly any Lunar or Eldiss/Compass needs a damp check because they use a wooden frame. Any dropping of the damp check or just saying an area is OK is a retrograde step.
I do appreciate that the readings are to some extent weather dependent but if there is a potential problem then you need to know.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes ours is solid, and yes we had itemised damp readings from all over the van last week so our service depot haven't altered how they testyet and they are NCC(Robinson's Chesterfield).Always received superb service and feedback.

Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes ours is solid, and yes we had itemised damp readings from all over the van last week so our service depot haven't altered how they testyet and they are NCC(Robinson's Chesterfield).Always received superb service and feedback.
They were PCv Dealer the year a while back!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

Have a look at this covers most damp queries Also uses Johns (and mine) scratch and tap method.

Also video not that old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts