Darn the GPDR

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just placed and then cancelled an order from Screwfix for a £3.99 radiator telescopic tail piece. My wife was going to collect it as she is only 1 mile away from the Screwfix store and we live 12 miles away. When the order confirmation came through it said could only be collected with photo ID. She doesn't have a photo id driving licence. But even I would need photo id to collect it. I was told because of GPDR. Yet when I challenged it by telling them that collecting something doesn't add to the data they hold on me I was then told it was anti fraud. Needless to say order now cancelled.

Our local recycling centre now want photo ID/address and utility bill as the Council Bus Pass photo ID isn't deemed suitable as it could be still valid and I might have moved across the county border and not surrendered my bus pass. So I wasn't flavour of the month as I waited to download my gas bill whilst holding up traffic into the centre. We don't have paper utility bills!

It seems that this wondrous web that offers such prospects of flexibility is now fast becoming darned millstone. Back to cash and fly tipping I guess :evil:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When I was a young impressionable schoolboy our worldly wise deputy headmaster Jack Titley would issue dire warnings about our future employment prospects if we didn't apply ourselves to lessons.
These warnings invariably centered on sweeping the streets, emptying the dustbins or worse still, working at the local council rubbish tip.
Little did we realise in those far off days that a Hi Vis jacket combined with a total lack of any educational prowess whatsoever would allow the wearer of the coveted council issue Hi Vis to wield such power over our daily lives.
Add the obligatory clipboard and the Hi Vis wearer is practically elevated to the status of royalty.
This Hi Vis mentality has now been extended to certain shop workers who are really glorified storemen.
When they've done themselves out of their own jobs perhaps their smugly inflexible superiority complexes will disappear with their jobs.

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Talking "tips" i once wanted a small piece of plasterboard so went down to my local tip. There it was, a skip full of beautiful off-cuts. Being a honest upstanding guy I asked the bloke in his Hi Vis jacket if I could take a small piece and to my utmost surprise I was refused on the grounds that stuff thrown away had to be disposed off. Needless to say, I have more than once thrown things away that left my hands into the high vis hands and straight into an office nearby for transporting home. One such example was a miniature working toy drone!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Guys, c'mon.

You have to realise "Its more than their job is worth" Last year when having some work done at home, I was taking some sacks of rubble to the tip. For ease I had them in small bags, but had some very large rubble sacks in the car.

Oi says Mr Hi Vis. You can only bring two per week, thats the rule. So? You were here yesterday too. Aye, that was Saturday, this is Sunday, new week. Anyway says he, you can only bring two today, I had around 12. Why? Because its the rule, and anyway, I have to lift them in, you arent allowed to do that here. Fine says I and tips all the bags into two massive sacks. Lift them, tara.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thankfully the guys at our local tip are bit more sensible, when dropping some stuff recently another car pulled up with load of flatenned cardboard boxes obviously they’d been used for house move, I asked if I could have them for a friend who I know is moving, the person bringing them to tip said it was fine with him and the tip employee said while they were still in the other persons car they were nothing to do with him and he even helped to transfer them into my car, shows there are some people left who have common sense.

BP

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In the original posting, otherclive mentioned that Screwfix wanted photo ID when picking up items ordered on line, this has been standard practice for a very long time and has nothing to do with GPDR.

I have been ordering items from them for over 10 years and have always been asked to produce photo ID when picking up pre ordered items, even with my trade account.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
In the original posting, otherclive mentioned that Screwfix wanted photo ID when picking up items ordered on line, this has been standard practice for a very long time and has nothing to do with GPDR.

I have been ordering items from them for over 10 years and have always been asked to produce photo ID when picking up pre ordered items, even with my trade account.

Well I’ve used them many times and never received an order acknowledgement requesting photo ID. When I rang their helpline I was initially told it had been introduced today to conform to GDPR. When I questioned that the reason changed to an anti fraud measure.
I cancelled my order as my wife didn’t have photo ID and placed another order at another branch. Duly turned up to collect my plumbing bits and guess what? Not asked for photo ID that makes it even worse and the two customers in front were not asked either.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I often buy bits and pieces from Screwfix via their pre-pay facility on their website.
I have to take the debit card that I paid with to put into the machine that prints off my collection note.
I've never been asked for any form of i.d; but I already ordered and paid for the goods at home

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy
Likewise but yesterday’s confirmation email and phone message introduced this photo ID requirement. C’est la vie as they say in Spain!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts