Dealer specials are they really different?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm intrigued to find out how different dealer specials are compared to the model they are based on.

Having seen literally hundreds of caravans during my time, I cannot recall any dealer special that had a unique interior lay out, and I can't think of how a dealer with their meager resources could afford to design a truly differnt plan.

The differences seem to be just the detail fittings and colour schemes.

Has anyone had a truly different caravan bought as a dealer special?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Dealer special I have seen over the years are usually based on entry or mid range units. As The Prof says they are mostly cosmetic changes with very little additional equipment, maybe a different omnivent or lighting. It reminds me of the BMC days of badge engineering, Austin , Morris, MG, Riley and Wolseley. We take a Swift Challenger dress it up to suit six dealers and hey ho you have a “dealer special”.
Swift get more units to the market and maybe the punter gets something different from their neighbour. An illusion B)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The dealer special caravans have exactly the same layout as the main model Prof.
The dealer might have some input into which colour scheme their special uses from a choice offered by the manufacturer, our own caravan is a dealer special which at that time had an extra aerial socket, an extra plug socket inside plus an ext extra exterior locker with a 230v socket plus a gas BBQ point.
The caravan didn't cost any extra, in fact we negotiated a good deal at the time so we went for it

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. Most are basically a different pattern for the soft furnishings, sometimes external graphics and some extras. Unless you hate the standard furnishings, I cannot see that the charge for a different one is justified, and whether the charge for the extras is worthwhile depends on if you will use them. Some extras like the external barbecue point, will not interest many, but others like an alarm might be worthwhile. At the end of the day you have to look at the extra cost and decide if the extra items justify this for you.

I do also wonder if the saving is always genuine as on one occasion I did get trade in figures from the same dealer for the dealer special and the same basic model, and the special got a lower trade in figure. When I asked why, the answer was they had to recover some of the cost of the extras, which to me made it clear the special was not discounted to the extent they said.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Our dealer special cost the same as the standard model, perhaps because that particular model had only recently been introduced and the dealer was looking for sales. There had also been a recent promotional weekend which gave us an extra £800 off the list price so we were and still are very pleased with our dealer special.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I'm intrigued to find out how different dealer specials are compared to the model they are based on.

Having seen literally hundreds of caravans during my time, I cannot recall any dealer special that had a unique interior lay out, and I can't think of how a dealer with their meager resources could afford to design a truly differnt plan.

The differences seem to be just the detail fittings and colour schemes.

Has anyone had a truly different caravan bought as a dealer special?

I haven’t ever heard any suggestion that a “Dealer Special” should have a unique interior layout, or be the result of extensive design input and resources from the dealer. Considering that you’ve seen hundreds of caravans Prof, I’m just wondering what would have prompted the question. Do you feel that you have been misled by a dealer somewhere along the way who wrongly suggested that their dealer special did indeed have a unique interior layout ?

We have a dealer special, a Swift Siena 6TD, based on a Sprite Major 6 TD, which we bought new last year. It has a different interior (that of the challenger), colour scheme, cushions, curtains, fabrics, different exterior (Swift branding instead of Sprite), external gas and 240V sockets, additional external locker(s), 100W Solar Panel, additional lighting, upgraded blinds and a few other additional small touches.

After visiting a couple of dealerships, we had decided that a Major 6 TD was the van for us, it was then just a question of ringing different dealerships to get the very best deal. When I called Grantham Caravans (5 hour round trip), they suggested that we might want to take a look at their Siena Dealer special. We visited during the next available weekend and were very impressed to say the least. With the Swift branding and challenger interior, the van has a much more upmarket feel comared to the same year Sprite, and whilst some of the accessories aren’t options we would have paid for, we now wouldn’t be without them, especially the 100W solar panel, which means that we don’t even keep the van connected to the mains when on the drive. After returning home, we use the mover to get the van in position at the top of the driveway, and the next day the leisure battery is back up to 13.3V, and remains there.

Speaking from my experience, and as Parksy found, the best thing about dealer specials, and what really does make them special is the price you can get them for with a little persistent negotiation. We managed to get ours for exactly the same price as the best discounted price offered for a Sprite Major 6TD, and would certainly reccomend others to do the same.

Whilst we were really taken with the Siena and there really was no contest, when it came to sitting around the table, I told them that we had set our hearts on a Sprite Major 6 TD, and that the upgrades and extras offered by the Siena were of very litte interest to us, in fact we even hinted that my wife actually preferred the colour scheme of the Sprite. I then thanked them for their time, and explained that they had been very attentative and helpful and that we would really like to deal with them, but I would not be prepared to pay any more for the Siena than the best offer we had been given for the Sprite which I handed to them. My proposal was of course immediately dismissed by the dealer, however, a few cups of coffee later, introductions to other more senior members of their sales team and another couple of trips up and down the yard to see the Siena again, we left having done the deal.

Going back to your original question Prof, if you pitch our dealer special next to the van it’s based on, and compare the two directly, side by side, then yes, it is really different, but what makes it really special is the price. That’s where there’s absolutely no difference ! :p

What we have also been impressed by, contrary to many posts I have read, is the way the local dealer, some 15 minutes away always goes the extra mile to resolve any little issues or niggles, despite us having bought the van from another dealer two and a half hours away.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we went looking for a new one we were taken by the Swift ranges then we come across the one that we have now a , Major 6TD same as Lc was looking at , we were looking at the next one down but there wasn't much difference in price for the dealer special which was a few more £££'s , I think they class it as a diamond pack where you get extra units different upholstery settings like someone else's said better spec alloy wheels and a few other bits and bobs and we managed to get the outside socket and bike rack for the rear . So what we have paid and we have got we're both over the moon for the price .

Craig .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apart from the decals our dealer special Coachman basically incorporated a number of optional extras at a package price. The other advantage was that because the dealer had their own 'special' it was on shorter delivery than the 'bog standard' model. I was/am quite happy with the package.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine traded his Senator in for a Swift Coastline from Highbridge. After working with my friend for many years and the fact he hails from Plymouth tells me the special must have been value for money as he rarely parts with it without minute scrutiny of the deal.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Looking at an advert this lists extras as 110w solar panel, alarm and ATC which are all desirable but also includes an external locker, window in the door and upgraded upholstery which you may or may not want.
The dealer we bought our caravan off lists some specials as £2,000 more than the standard model although they have a lot more added than the example above and what they will do as a deal I do not know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts